K5iis replacement back LCD screen


bychan

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 00:25
Whilst changing filters the other day, with the camera resting on a big rock, I gently tilted the camera backwards (screen protector fitted).

Cue the sound of crushing glass.






Thankfully all is still in working order, with only the bottom crack physically cracked.

Has anybody had the back screen replaced, if so, any recommendations and any advise as to the cost.

Thanks
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

JohnX

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 10:14
From memory the rear lcd is a one-piece bonded wp unit.

Parts certainly available in the US which seems to bear this out> https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTAX-K-5-II-LCD-SCREEN-ASSEMBLY-NEW-ORIGINAL-AUTHENTI...

Definitely the LCD as well as the screen protector? (An oxymoron if ever there was one!)
Last Edited by JohnX on 28/02/2018 - 10:15

Algernon

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 10:59
Is the camera stuck in the upside down position or can it be turned right way up

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

bychan

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 00:12
JohnX wrote:
From memory the rear lcd is a one-piece bonded wp unit.

Parts certainly available in the US which seems to bear this out> https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTAX-K-5-II-LCD-SCREEN-ASSEMBLY-NEW-ORIGINAL-AUTHENTI...

Definitely the LCD as well as the screen protector? (An oxymoron if ever there was one!)

Thanks Johnx, I must confess that I would be a bit apprehensive about doing this myself.

Algernon wrote:
Is the camera stuck in the upside down position or can it be turned right way up

--

I only noticed after posting the thread

Regards
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

redbusa99

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 23:38
over 200 at Johnsons when I enquired a couple of years ago so just lived with the dead pixels mine deeloped
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
ppg

bychan

Link Posted 04/03/2018 - 15:36
redbusa99 wrote:
over 200 at Johnsons when I enquired a couple of years ago so just lived with the dead pixels mine deeloped

That's what I'm fearing to be honest.
Whilst I have no desire to change camera, 200+ would go some way towards a new body.

I'm now waiting for a quote from Ashai Photo.


Thanks for this, but unfortunately the link doesn't work for me
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

roberrl

Link Posted 04/03/2018 - 17:50
Hmmmm, the link works if you cut and paste the URL into the address line of your browser but not if you click on it in the topic.

It's for a new screen for K5 from China ... it's in the list if you search ebay for pentax parts which is how I came across it.

bychan

Link Posted 06/03/2018 - 23:55
Thanks roberrl, that worked.
This screen seems the same as the previous link from the US.

I wouldn't trust myself to even think about replacing it myself
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

jeallen01

Link Posted 07/03/2018 - 20:42
bychan wrote:
Thanks roberrl, that worked.
This screen seems the same as the previous link from the US.

I wouldn't trust myself to even think about replacing it myself

You might try Asahi Photo (see the separate "Harrow Technical" thread) to see if they can do the job, especially if you can supply them with the screen assembly!
PS: I suspect that they will be getting quite a lot of new work as result of the threads on this forum, so "be quick"
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

bychan

Link Posted 08/03/2018 - 23:50
jeallen01 wrote:
bychan wrote:
Thanks roberrl, that worked.
This screen seems the same as the previous link from the US.

I wouldn't trust myself to even think about replacing it myself

You might try Asahi Photo (see the separate "Harrow Technical" thread) to see if they can do the job, especially if you can supply them with the screen assembly!
PS: I suspect that they will be getting quite a lot of new work as result of the threads on this forum, so "be quick"

I have yet to receive a response from Ashai Photo, think I'll chase them up.

Johnsons quoted 199+VAT.
Suffice to say I won't be sending it there
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

johnriley

Link Posted 09/03/2018 - 00:02
If you joined PU Plus then you would get 20% discount on servicing.
Best regards, John

davidwozhere

Link Posted 09/03/2018 - 00:30
Tangential question -- Now that I am accumulating gear I have been thinking about insurance. What is a ballpark figure for say, a K3ii and a couple of 500 lenses and what sort of excesses do they tend to levy? Knowing insurance companies, the OP wouldn't have got much back for the repair of his screen after excess ( ?? )
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

DOIK

Link Posted 09/03/2018 - 07:48
redbusa99 wrote:
over 200 at Johnsons when I enquired a couple of years ago so just lived with the dead pixels mine deeloped

A cheaper option perhaps

"Professional technicians install the LCD for you! The installation fee is $20. If you purchase a LCD from our company, you can simply send us your camera and we will send your camera back with our newly installed LCD! Please send us a note after you purchase the LCD, we will hold the shipment and send you more information about how to send in the camera."

My Photobucket

jeallen01

Link Posted 09/03/2018 - 09:17
davidwozhere wrote:
Tangential question -- Now that I am accumulating gear I have been thinking about insurance. What is a ballpark figure for say, a K3ii and a couple of 500 lenses and what sort of excesses do they tend to levy? Knowing insurance companies, the OP wouldn't have got much back for the repair of his screen after excess ( ?? )

Assuming that you have house insurance, have you tried adding the gear to that? I was advised to do that by other members here, and went from paying around 120 p.a. (Glover & Howe, and Photoguard tends to be more expensive) for about 3k's worth of kit to paying around 50 as part of the house insurance when I added it in around Aug 2017.
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.