Optical triggering by K70 of AF360FGZ in slave (2) mode

andrewk

Link Posted 15/03/2018 - 17:48
Hi folks,

Partly for my own amusement, I have been trying to get my K70 (in manual flash and manual exposure mode) to optically trigger a remote AF360FGZ (in dumb slave mode - SL2) - but am having no success at all.

The AF360FGZ works fine in every mode when mounted on the camera's hot shoe. The flash will trigger fine when using a K30's pop up flash on P-TTL (but obviously not a K70, as it does not support a master/slave P-TTL mode), As far as I can tell, I have set everything as I should - but the remote flash just will not fire using a K70.

I have also tried this with a Yongnuo 560 iii (manual flash), with the K70 set on manual exposure and manual flash and the Yongnuo set on slave 1 (fire on first optical flash received) - and it works first time, every time.

I have read in a number of places that a K70 on manual flash should optically trigger a Pentax flash that is in slave mode 2. Has anyone else tried this and actually got it to work? If you did, can you explain how - in words on one syllable? I have already tried the RTFM bit - and it didn't work.

Help!!
Andrew

McGregNi

Link Posted 16/03/2018 - 16:06
Andrew, it sounds like you have done everything correctly to be able to say "in theory it should work" ....I agree that it should, as in Manual mode the K70 flash will not emit a pre-flash, therefore basic syncing on the main flash should occur.

The only two things to double check are that the SL2 mode is definitely being set properly (I know it's a bit of a strange process. .... And is there an indication to confirm SL2 is set?). The other thing is the line of sight thing, to be sure the slave flash sensor can " see" the light coming from the camera.

You've got a Yongnuo also ..... It would be worth putting that onto the K70 and checking if the AF-360 will respond in SL2 mode to the Yongnuo firing.And since the Yongnuo works ok as a slave triggered by the K70 flash in manual, try a "daisy chain" and add the AF-360 also in SL2 mode, but place it where it can only detect light from the Yongnuo.... In theory all three flashes should sync correctly.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 16/03/2018 - 16:11

andrewk

Link Posted 16/03/2018 - 21:15
The AF360FGZ was definitely in slave mode 2. Also, I made absolutely sure that there was line of sight between the pop up and the Pentax 360.

I haven't yet tried to see if the Yongnuo on camera will optically trigger the Pentax flash - but it is worth a try.

I do wonder whether anyone has actually managed to get a K70 to optically trigger a 360 or 540 Pentax flash in slave mode 2 - or whether folks are just repeating stuff that they have read elsewhere.

To be honest, getting it to work in that way doesn't really matter. I intend using a Yongnuo 603 ii trigger on the K70 along with a couple of Yongnuo 560 iii (which have built in wireless receivers) and hopefully another 603 ii trigger to fire the AF360FGZ in manual.

I think the AF360FGZ should work ok like that, but if I cannot get it to work that way either, then I will pension it off and buy another couple of Yongnuo flashes with the proceeds.

We had a very interesting table top photography workshop at the camera club a few days back. George Franks who ran it used Yongnuo flashes. - so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Cheers
Andrew
Flickr photostream

andrewk

Link Posted 17/03/2018 - 11:29
I've had another play with the K70 and AF360FGZ. It will flash, triggered by the K70 pop-up, in manual, slave, slave mode 2 - but only if the K70 is set to normal flash - not manual. Weird ........

Cheers
Andrew
Flickr photostream

pschlute

Link Posted 17/03/2018 - 12:20
andrewk wrote:
I've had another play with the K70 and AF360FGZ. It will flash, triggered by the K70 pop-up, in manual, slave, slave mode 2 - but only if the K70 is set to normal flash - not manual. Weird ........

Cheers
Andrew

I don't know the K70, I assume the manual flash setting allow you to control output from the camera?

By normal flash you mean P-TTL ? if so it is possible that the slave is triggering on the pre flash. Can you see the effect of the slave in the picture?

Another thought.... if you are getting correctly exposed pictures it sounds like the flash is not in slave mode at all !! Which is odd as it is not supposed to work that way ?
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 17/03/2018 - 12:23

McGregNi

Link Posted 17/03/2018 - 12:45
That sounds right Peter ...We just need clarification on what is meant by "normal flash" on the K70 Andrew.

If you mean P-TTL, then we would expect a slave set to SL2 to be triggered, but by the pre-flash, and therefore not sync with the exposure.

Most of this seems to point towards the AF-360 not getting properly into SL2 mode for some reason ...
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 17/03/2018 - 12:47

andrewk

Link Posted 17/03/2018 - 19:51
I did mean P-TTL (default for the pop-up). I guess it would be the pre-flash that triggered the 360. After I changed the slave mode on the 360 to 2, I checked each time - definitely on SL2.

To be honest, I was in a rush & didn't bother to frame a shot on the K70 or set power level on the 360. All I was interested in at the time was getting the 360 to trigger at all from the K70.

I have had a few more Yongnuo bits and pieces delivered today, another 560 iii and a box full of of 603 ii triggers. I am sure that I will not have any problem getting the Yongnuo stuff to work together and with the K70. Next step after that will be to try triggering the 360 from a 603 ii trigger (or rather a pair of them).

After that, I'll have another quick look at optically triggering the 360 from the K70 - but by then, it will be rather academic as I may never use it like that.

I have wondered about buying a Yongnuo 585EX which is P-TTL but does not do HSS - so probably will not as I'd probably only use it on camera for fill-in & the 360 which does HSS makes more sense to me for that.

Andrew
Flickr photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.