K5ii versus Sony A77

Pentaxophile
Posted 11/08/2013 - 22:06 Link
simonjames wrote:
I hate to admit it but the Sony can produce some outstanding image quality for what is really a pared down Dslr, especially across the centre, so much so it would be my choice if I to keep only one camera.
Suspect that owes more to the excellent Sigma 30mm than the Sony NEX camera behind it! Remember it's also cheap and easy to mount Pentax lenses to the NEX - much easier to focus with proper focus peaking!

That said, my NEX hasn't had much of a look in since starting to do 'photoshoots' (lol) - even with focus peaking manual focus via an LCD is not as good or quick as a reliable AF lens and framing your shots via an OVF. Fine if you're pottering about though.

I've basically been using the K30 and Tamron 17-50 - they make a reliable and useful pair.
Edited by Pentaxophile: 11/08/2013 - 22:10
McGregNi
Posted 11/08/2013 - 23:51 Link
CMW wrote:
McGregNi wrote:
I also feel a reluctance to talk details about what our cameras (OUR cameras specifically) are capable of right now .... with considering the unique controls and customisations our PENTAX cameras offer, and how those features might aid and support different styles of photography.
What are these unique controls and customisations that are so significant, and (by implication) absent on other cameras? Perhaps I need to return to the instruction book, but I can only think of a very few, as often as not balanced by 'innovations' on other cameras that are not on Pentax models.
I should be more clear, sorry. I have not been claiming that these finer options are only on Pentax - I honestly don't know, but no doubt there is a certain standardised range of custom controls on all similar cameras.

What I've been on about, and through the 'checklist' topic, are not functions that would directly affect the final image ... the pre-shoot set-up items I listed are really to do with optimising the camera for efficient use 'in the field', and to minimise the amount of re-adjustments or repeated re-setting of things during an extended shoot (eg a landscape expedition).

One example would be the menu item 'Memory' - here we choose which functions will be retained and restored following switching off (as we might do to change a lens or move a distance). My checklist gives certain items as active for landscape work in order to reduce extra setting work during the shoot - meaning more time to get on with the creative side of it. There will be different memory items to have on or off for another type of shoot.

I thought it would be helpful to discuss how our Pentax cameras provide this extra control and aid to efficient shooting, and that people would like to share alternatives and learn more about it.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 11/08/2013 - 23:51

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo