K5II disappearing in the US.
Posted 05/12/2013 - 21:04
Link
jules wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
I'm thinking about changing one of my K-5's for a K-5II simply for the better AF. in no rush though. I'll buy a 2nd hand one anyway when the time comes
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 05/12/2013 - 22:29
Link
Not as interesting as the Bolt flash gun. How cheap is that ?
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 06/12/2013 - 04:42
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I'll get one for my "Super Lightweight" Go everywhere ready bag thats going to live in the hall. (Was toying with the Fuji Xe-2 but the Fuji's lovely as they are don't really do anything you can't do with a K5 save for being a Rangefinder.) I'm sick of leaving home without a camera and then seeing something I'd like to shoot. I'm hoping that Ricoh/Pentax keep one of K5 models going as I think there is room in the range for it, I'd not like them to slip back to only three APSC models, I'd actually like eventually to see the K5 get the new meter to fix it's percieved flash problems making it a great second shooter for a k3 user and a more worthwhile upgrade to a K5 "classic" user. The AF is probably worth it to you alone Smeggy as I know you like to shoot at night and there is definitely a difference there. I'll likely get mine second hand too but only because even the bargain price that it is new is still too high hor me.
jules wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
I'm thinking about changing one of my K-5's for a K-5II simply for the better AF. in no rush though. I'll buy a 2nd hand one anyway when the time comeshttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 06/12/2013 - 06:56
Link
Yeah I'm not bothered about the IIs model. I've been through the nonsense comparing and the insignificant differences between the II and IIs isn't worth the extre dosh for a II-s for me.
The better AF is looking attractive now the K-5II is last years model and the cost of entry is sensible.
The better AF is looking attractive now the K-5II is last years model and the cost of entry is sensible.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 06/12/2013 - 07:56 - Helpful Comment
Link
jules wrote:
It's odd how perceptions vary, Jules. Your "super light-weight" kit would, for me, be a super heavy-weight outfit! That's why a top quality compact, such as the MX1 would be ideal. Smeggypants wrote:
I'll get one for my "Super Lightweight" Go everywhere ready bag thats going to live in the hall. (Was toying with the Fuji Xe-2 but the Fuji's lovely as they are don't really do anything you can't do with a K5 save for being a Rangefinder.) I'm sick of leaving home without a camera and then seeing something I'd like to shoot. I'm hoping that Ricoh/Pentax keep one of K5 models going as I think there is room in the range for it, I'd not like them to slip back to only three APSC models, I'd actually like eventually to see the K5 get the new meter to fix it's percieved flash problems making it a great second shooter for a k3 user and a more worthwhile upgrade to a K5 "classic" user. The AF is probably worth it to you alone Smeggy as I know you like to shoot at night and there is definitely a difference there. I'll likely get mine second hand too but only because even the bargain price that it is new is still too high hor me.jules wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
I'm thinking about changing one of my K-5's for a K-5II simply for the better AF. in no rush though. I'll buy a 2nd hand one anyway when the time comeshttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
The Fuji XE2 is lovely but, as you say, really only offers a different user experience, albeit an interesting one. It's also too large to put in a pocket.
I almost never print anything, well I haven't for five years (the memory of all those boxes of slides and cupboards full of albums makes me shudder) so the kind of ultimate, pixel-peeping quality discussed on these pages is simply not an issue for me. Most shots look fine on a lap-top screen.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 06/12/2013 - 08:07
Link
It's a shame the K5 II has been discontinued. I've been using my K200D for nearly five years and the shortcomings in AF and high ISO are making more of an impact in my photography. I'd thought to upgrade to a K5 II in a year or so but now that won't be possible (at least new), and the likelihood of Pentax bringing back upper LCDs and grips for their lower/mid-range bodies is slim. I don't know what the K3 price will be like then, but I don't want 24MP files to have to handle/store.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 06/12/2013 - 08:56
Link
bwlchmawr wrote:
It's odd how perceptions vary, Jules. Your "super light-weight" kit would, for me, be a super heavy-weight outfit! That's why a top quality compact, such as the MX1 would be ideal. [/quote]I agree. I'd love an APS-C Pentax Q jules wrote:
I'll get one for my "Super Lightweight" Go everywhere ready bag thats going to live in the hall. (Was toying with the Fuji Xe-2 but the Fuji's lovely as they are don't really do anything you can't do with a K5 save for being a Rangefinder.) I'm sick of leaving home without a camera and then seeing something I'd like to shoot. I'm hoping that Ricoh/Pentax keep one of K5 models going as I think there is room in the range for it, I'd not like them to slip back to only three APSC models, I'd actually like eventually to see the K5 get the new meter to fix it's percieved flash problems making it a great second shooter for a k3 user and a more worthwhile upgrade to a K5 "classic" user. The AF is probably worth it to you alone Smeggy as I know you like to shoot at night and there is definitely a difference there. I'll likely get mine second hand too but only because even the bargain price that it is new is still too high hor me.Smeggypants wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="jules"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
I'm thinking about changing one of my K-5's for a K-5II simply for the better AF. in no rush though. I'll buy a 2nd hand one anyway when the time comes[quote:3496ace15f="jules"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
I'm still pondering over getting a K-01, but the darn thing is so damn ugly
Quote:
The Fuji XE2 is lovely but, as you say, really only offers a different user experience, albeit an interesting one. It's also too large to put in a pocket.
I almost never print anything, well I haven't for five years (the memory of all those boxes of slides and cupboards full of albums makes me shudder) so the kind of ultimate, pixel-peeping quality discussed on these pages is simply not an issue for me. Most shots look fine on a lap-top screen.
Exactly.removal of AA filters ( K-5IIs, and K-3 ) and 24MP ( K-3 ) have no effect on my excitement levels. none of it makes any difference to my photography.The Fuji XE2 is lovely but, as you say, really only offers a different user experience, albeit an interesting one. It's also too large to put in a pocket.
I almost never print anything, well I haven't for five years (the memory of all those boxes of slides and cupboards full of albums makes me shudder) so the kind of ultimate, pixel-peeping quality discussed on these pages is simply not an issue for me. Most shots look fine on a lap-top screen.
I want better high ISO performance. And I'm not the only one. I'd buy a K-3 variant tomorrow which had a 10MP sensor and super High ISO performance.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 06/12/2013 - 09:00
Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
It's a shame the K5 II has been discontinued. I've been using my K200D for nearly five years and the shortcomings in AF and high ISO are making more of an impact in my photography. I'd thought to upgrade to a K5 II in a year or so but now that won't be possible (at least new), and the likelihood of Pentax bringing back upper LCDs and grips for their lower/mid-range bodies is slim. I don't know what the K3 price will be like then, but I don't want 24MP files to have to handle/store.
Buy a 2nd hand K-5II. I'm thinking of exactly the same thing.It's a shame the K5 II has been discontinued. I've been using my K200D for nearly five years and the shortcomings in AF and high ISO are making more of an impact in my photography. I'd thought to upgrade to a K5 II in a year or so but now that won't be possible (at least new), and the likelihood of Pentax bringing back upper LCDs and grips for their lower/mid-range bodies is slim. I don't know what the K3 price will be like then, but I don't want 24MP files to have to handle/store.
All my lenses were bought 2nd hand. Most were pristine and a damn good price. My K10-D and K20-D cams were second hand. The only new Pentax Kit I've bought since the 1980s were my two K-5s.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 06/12/2013 - 09:48
Link
bwlchmawr wrote:
It's odd how perceptions vary, Jules. Your "super light-weight" kit would, for me, be a super heavy-weight outfit! That's why a top quality compact, such as the MX1 would be ideal. jules wrote:
I'll get one for my "Super Lightweight" Go everywhere ready bag thats going to live in the hall. (Was toying with the Fuji Xe-2 but the Fuji's lovely as they are don't really do anything you can't do with a K5 save for being a Rangefinder.) I'm sick of leaving home without a camera and then seeing something I'd like to shoot. I'm hoping that Ricoh/Pentax keep one of K5 models going as I think there is room in the range for it, I'd not like them to slip back to only three APSC models, I'd actually like eventually to see the K5 get the new meter to fix it's percieved flash problems making it a great second shooter for a k3 user and a more worthwhile upgrade to a K5 "classic" user. The AF is probably worth it to you alone Smeggy as I know you like to shoot at night and there is definitely a difference there. I'll likely get mine second hand too but only because even the bargain price that it is new is still too high hor me.Smeggypants wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="jules"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
I'm thinking about changing one of my K-5's for a K-5II simply for the better AF. in no rush though. I'll buy a 2nd hand one anyway when the time comes[quote:3496ace15f="jules"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891517-REG/Pentax_12016_K_5_II_Digital_SLR...
Might be time to grab them...
The Fuji XE2 is lovely but, as you say, really only offers a different user experience, albeit an interesting one. It's also too large to put in a pocket.
I almost never print anything, well I haven't for five years (the memory of all those boxes of slides and cupboards full of albums makes me shudder) so the kind of ultimate, pixel-peeping quality discussed on these pages is simply not an issue for me. Most shots look fine on a lap-top screen.[/quote]I was also thinking of a GR but I'm not really street shooter which seems to be the GR's forte (Not saying that that's all it's good for!) but I just can't justify in my head, nearly the same price for a Compact as a K5. I'd love something pocketable but want the quality/vesatility of the DSLR and I may as well use a DSLR that utilises the same lenses. GR has the quality just not the vesatility for me, MX1 tiny sensor but I love the camera as I love the Q7 too, I just feel if I went out on spec and got a killer shot I'd regret not having the bigger sensor, So a K5 it is...
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 06/12/2013 - 10:57
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
You can't expect Pentax to keep all their old models in production in perpetuity.
You mean I wouldn't be able to get a new *ist D
You can't expect Pentax to keep all their old models in production in perpetuity.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Posted 06/12/2013 - 10:59
Link
Clearly they are not planning to have a larger range of DSLR's as stated previously.
Posted 06/12/2013 - 18:57
Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
It's a shame the K5 II has been discontinued. I've been using my K200D for nearly five years and the shortcomings in AF and high ISO are making more of an impact in my photography. I'd thought to upgrade to a K5 II in a year or so but now that won't be possible (at least new), and the likelihood of Pentax bringing back upper LCDs and grips for their lower/mid-range bodies is slim. I don't know what the K3 price will be like then, but I don't want 24MP files to have to handle/store.
--------------------------------------------------It's a shame the K5 II has been discontinued. I've been using my K200D for nearly five years and the shortcomings in AF and high ISO are making more of an impact in my photography. I'd thought to upgrade to a K5 II in a year or so but now that won't be possible (at least new), and the likelihood of Pentax bringing back upper LCDs and grips for their lower/mid-range bodies is slim. I don't know what the K3 price will be like then, but I don't want 24MP files to have to handle/store.
Sounds like you want a K50 then?
Posted 06/12/2013 - 21:35
Link
wvbarnes wrote:
Clearly they are not planning to have a larger range of DSLR's as stated previously.
Well the K-3 is the replacement to the K-5 so they aren't ditching a product tier. There's always the mythical Full Frame model to come
Clearly they are not planning to have a larger range of DSLR's as stated previously.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2342 posts
16 years
Storbritannia
Might be time to grab them...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com