Lens correction

maranatha

Link Posted 07/12/2013 - 10:46
Hi guys my new K5 and kit lens has just arrived my first Pentax camera coming from olympus I am very very pleased Q by default lens correction is off should I turn in on and any other help with settings would be helpful thanks in advance Paul
A question is only easy when you know the answer ..

johnriley

Link Posted 07/12/2013 - 10:49
Lens correction will compensate for lens distortions with Pentax lenses, certainly when using JPEG capture. Not sure about any effect on RAW capture.

It will increase the delay between shots though as the processing takes time.
Best regards, John

Helpful

maranatha

Link Posted 07/12/2013 - 11:04
Thanks John new learning curve for me coming from olympus as I always shoot raw I will keep it off thanks for help and for a helpful and friendly forum Paul
A question is only easy when you know the answer ..

sbrads

Link Posted 07/12/2013 - 11:42
I don't know about the K-5, but on the K-30/K-50 the Chromatic Aberration correction doesn't cause slowdowns but the Distortion one does.

McGregNi

Link Posted 07/12/2013 - 15:02
For JPEG capture - any settings activated are processed and 'edited in' to the JPEG. Activated settings (such as distortion / CA corrections, high ISO noise reduction, shadow correction & highlight adjustment) all add to the time it takes to display the review image on the rear screen. They do not affect burst shooting rates, only the time it takes to display the final image of the burst at the end.

For RAW capture - any activated settings are stored in the file as metadata. They will also add to the review image display time, but only because this is a small embedded JPEG in the RAW which the camera will process and 'edit in' the various settings, so taking the extra time for that.

Custom image settings, white balance fine tuning or exposure compensation setting changes will not add anything to the processing or review image disaply times.

For RAW shooting I believe there is no point in activating any of these correction settings - they will just slow down the image display. The data will not be read and acted upon by software other than Pentax Digital Camera Utility. If you use PDCU then it takes almost no time to make the settings in the software anyway, so not worth slowing down the display on the camera.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 07/12/2013 - 15:07

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 22:38
Whether to leave lens correction on or not depends to some extent what you are taking. Architectural shots will highlight distortion so it helps to have it turned on whereas a photo of a forest will not really benefit at all.
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.