K50 pictures completely dark

Roxmarie

Link Posted 03/04/2019 - 09:05
My k-50 has the black picture after 3 years, i bought IT new.
To repair IT costs 190 euro.
My camera is in germany at Pentax.
There where 3 problems i cant all remember. Diafragma failure block, fireware and onother thing.
Really dissapointing. So what is a good replacement without this problem. K-70?

JAK

Link Posted 03/04/2019 - 13:41
Hopefully once you get it back you won't need a replacement. If you were considering something else I can't think why you would pay out to get that one fixed.
Welcome to PU by the way!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 03/04/2019 - 13:41

mckendrick

Link Posted 04/06/2019 - 18:23
A second camera is always useful, JAK.
This what happened to my K-50 - so I got it fixed and now it's a second camera as I got another camera in the meantime.
Welcome to the forum, Roxmarie.
M.McK
Bodies: MX, LX, *ist D, K-50, KP

Optics: SMC Takumar 28-80mm 3.5-4, SMC Takumar 80-200 4, SMC M200mm 2.8, SMC A28mm 2.8mm, SMC A50mm 1.7, SMC A100mm 2.8 macro, DA10-17mm 3.5-4.5 Fisheye, DA18-55mm II 3.5-5.6, DA50-200mm 4-5.6
Last Edited by mckendrick on 04/06/2019 - 18:23

teresem

Link Posted 22/09/2019 - 12:52
The exact same thing happened to me, got my K-50as a birthday present two years ago. It's been working fine until last week. LiveView worked fine, not darker than usual. But the pictures were completely black or very very dark. Googled around a bit and did some trouble shooting so I got the same as many of you. It seems to be an aperture control block failure. I fired of multiple shots in speed mode and it started working again. So like for the rest of you it'll also stop working again.

Lucky for me I have an old lens with an aperture ring, Hopefully I can just use that one instead and continue to use the camera. I'm not a rich lady, and I just passed the warrant expiration date so I guess I don't have much of a choice. I read that some of you have been reporting the failure, getting in touch with pentax and using the pentaxcamerarepair.com team. But I live in Sweden and the shipping costs are huge.

It's just something to accept unfortunately. Good luck everyone!
Last Edited by teresem on 22/09/2019 - 13:22

JAK

Link Posted 23/09/2019 - 15:54
teresem wrote:
The exact same thing happened to me, got my K-50as a birthday present two years ago. It's been working fine until last week. LiveView worked fine, not darker than usual. But the pictures were completely black or very very dark. Googled around a bit and did some trouble shooting so I got the same as many of you. It seems to be an aperture control block failure. I fired of multiple shots in speed mode and it started working again. So like for the rest of you it'll also stop working again.

Lucky for me I have an old lens with an aperture ring, Hopefully I can just use that one instead and continue to use the camera. I'm not a rich lady, and I just passed the warrant expiration date so I guess I don't have much of a choice. I read that some of you have been reporting the failure, getting in touch with pentax and using the pentaxcamerarepair.com team. But I live in Sweden and the shipping costs are huge.

It's just something to accept unfortunately. Good luck everyone!

If it's only just out of warranty contact your dealer or https://www.ricoh-imaging.se/ and see if they can help.
John K

OldTaffy

Link Posted 23/09/2019 - 16:44
JAK wrote:

If it's only just out of warranty contact your dealer or https://www.ricoh-imaging.se/ and see if they can help.

I second that suggestion. Some good Pentax dealers seem to be able to persuade Ricoh to repair free of charge even if warranty has recently expired. I am grateful to our friends at SRS who managed to have the aperture block failure on my K-S2 repaired free when the fault developed 2 months out of warranty. That was about a year ago, and the camera has been working well since then.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Northerner

Link Posted 05/04/2020 - 20:16
Could anyone point me at an online source for the exact aperture electromagnet - preferably of decent quality - to fix the ubiquitous K50 problem? Got lots of time on my hands to do this with care and attention to detail just now!
Thanks very much for any assistance.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.