Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K50 pictures completely dark

richandfleur
Posted 29/12/2016 - 01:52 Link
Yes, it's a disappointing, head in the sand, denial attitude from Pentax on this one.
Certainly does little to instill confidence that you will be looked after by them, should anything similar occur on future models.
paolo11
Posted 29/12/2016 - 13:18 Link
"This repair service applies to the repair of aperture control block failure in several Pentax DSLR models including the K-30, K-50, K-r, K-x, K100D, and most older istD models. This list may not be complete. Aperture control block failure is most common in the K-30."

The company called dslrparts has been around for a long time. Recently, they have set up Pentax camera repair. Above, is a cut and paste from their web site. I called and sent e-mail, but haven't heard back yet. This is all they do, fix aperture problems. so Pentax has known about this problem for years.

I've bought 4 Pentax cameras in the past 4.5 yrs, now i wonder?

BTW, when a kid, I had a pen pal in Whangarei. Beautiful country you live in.
RobL
Posted 29/12/2016 - 13:44 Link
This is a US based company and their own link to the K30/K50 aperture block repair site doesn't work; a bit amateurish looking. The only other links that come up on google are to forum discussions like this one. Question is, has anyone had the repair done, and how was it?
paolo11
Posted 29/12/2016 - 14:08 Link
Some one mentioned that they did use them for repair, and it was fine. I did read it, but not sure if this site or the other Pentax site. Read my latest thread on K30/K50.

I'll try to find the user.

I find the site okay, as it explains in depth what they do and their warranty.

http://www.pentaxcamerarepair.com
http://www.dslrparts.com/
paolo11
Posted 29/12/2016 - 14:50 Link
Robl

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/332215-pulled-out-my-k-3...

I'm putting in another plug for Mark at PentaxCameraRepair.com.

a few weeks ago, my K30 came down with the same problems that so many others have described - totally black photos, unless I used old lenses with aperture ring

in manual mode. I found the link on this site, contacted Mark by email, heard back from him immediately. Shipped off my K30. Literally, within days, and with great email updates from Mark along the way, I had my camera back.

I've only had it back a few days, so I cannot speak to the longevity of the repair. But the camera is working as well as it ever did. For $100 and with a one year warranty on the work, I'm VERY happy.

Please note, I have no affiliation with the repair site. I'm just a happy customer. Happy to be using my K30 again.

Read more at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/332215-pulled-out-my-k-3...
paolo11
Posted 29/12/2016 - 15:28 Link
I just got off the phone with Pentax concerning K30/K50 aperture problem, and they have notified upper management. I told them about this site and the amount of problems, and that Pentax should own up and fix this free of charge as it's a common failure across the board in other models.

I asked about the K70, and it's an updated system, and the K5 (which I also have) uses the same aperture control as the K3. so it seems they put a better aperture control in their hi-end cameras, and have updated it in their new line. My K1 uses a ultrasonic type motor in the lens, so I should be free of this problem.

Pentax is going to call me back in an hour or so about what their management will do in my case, so I'll post whatever I hear. One K30 owner got 30% off from Precision, but I want more if not 100%. I doubt that I'll get it, but if more of you people cal and rant, who knows what will happen?

worse case error i mail it out to Pentaxcamerarepair.com
JAK
Posted 29/12/2016 - 15:46 Link
Just out of interest, are you aware this is a UK based site? We're not generally over familiar with the scene as to your USA repair centres. Reading the US Pentax forum, they do seem to have issues regarding getting repairs we don't and vice versa. Of note was the trouble some on your side of the pond were having getting a problem with the K-1's mode dial repaired, requiring cameras being returned for weeks away rather than being replaced. Touch wood, that hasn't happened to us!

It would be very costly for many of us here to use your preferred repair centre due to postage costs as it would for people on your side to use ours.
John K
Edited by JAK: 29/12/2016 - 15:49
paolo11
Posted 29/12/2016 - 16:44 Link
I'm not sure "UK based site". What is? This forum? Wondering why so many "foreigners" were on this site.

The authorized Pentax repair site, Precision comes poorly regarded. They repair other brands also. Pentax USA is not popular over here like in Europe/Asia due to poor marketing, it's a Canon/Nikon world over here with Canon the current leader.

I did wait awhile before purchasing the K1 as I remember the K3 fiasco with it's major recall. When ever a new product is rushed to market, you can expect problems. I've read Pentax took 10 years to develop the K1, not sure if true.

cheers
RobL
Posted 29/12/2016 - 17:21 Link
paolo11 wrote:
I'm not sure "UK based site". What is? This forum? Wondering why so many "foreigners" were on this site.

The authorized Pentax repair site, Precision comes poorly regarded. They repair other brands also. Pentax USA is not popular over here like in Europe/Asia due to poor marketing, it's a Canon/Nikon world over here with Canon the current leader.

I did wait awhile before purchasing the K1 as I remember the K3 fiasco with it's major recall. When ever a new product is rushed to market, you can expect problems. I've read Pentax took 10 years to develop the K1, not sure if true.

cheers

Whilst the forum is based in the UK it is international, and you will see we have many contributors from all over the world which brings a great mix of opinions and images. In the UK we are lucky to have a few excellent Pentax retailers, and there is a dedicated shop in Paris. I sense that Pentax have upped their marketing here since launching the K-1 but customer service needs to come up to speed as well, and I would have thought that a commercially focused outfit like Ricoh would have the resources to sort this. As for 10 years development of the K-1, take that with a pinch of salt. I think a full frame body was put on hold whilst Ricoh/Pentax concentrated on their medium format range, but I gather that the K-1 has much of the 645 DNA as a result.
Edited by RobL: 29/12/2016 - 17:23
paolo11
Posted 29/12/2016 - 17:40 Link
We do have excellent retailers, but selling is just that, selling. B & H camera, Adorama, are two big ones, most are based in NY. But it's the repair that's an issue here, and the on-going aperture motor problem that Pentax should have fixed years ago.

Pentax is using dc motors in their lenses for the K1, not sure about the K645Z which is a medium format. The K1 is a hot item, came out with one price, and then went up with no sight of abiding.

TheK1 IQ and resolution is remarkable, big difference from my other Pentax cameras.
paolo11
Posted 14/01/2017 - 14:32 Link
K50 CA aperture block repair
I shipped my wife's K50 out to CA, and got it back a couple of days ago. Currently, the "fix' is not available, but the owner of the site (pentaxcamerarepair.com)will post it in the future, guess he's making some money. He's been in business for 20 years selling and repairing various makes of cameras, and has posted "how to repair" as he sells used parts. He also has a 100% rating on Ebay.
I did a lot of research on him, and couldn't find anything negative.

After the fix, he keeps the camera for a couple of days for testing before he mails it out. Nice guy, as I called him a few times, and he's easy to speak too.

He charges a flat rate of $100.00 plus shipping, and gives a year warranty. Took a bunch of shots, and the camera works fine. If it was my camera, I would have tried repairing it myself based on posted fixes in filing down the plunger, but my wife knows better. I've also noticed on Ebay that a seller from Japan sells the K30/K50 aperture block for $39.00 shipped, so if you screw up the fix, you can buy a new one thought it will probably fail down the line.

Congrads to those who fixed the problem using the excellent postings.

Paolo

Read more at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/336501-k30-k50-aperture-...
Posted 05/03/2017 - 20:09 Link
I bought a K-50 in 2015. Yesterday, during my photography class, the same thing happened to me. Black or very dark photos. I finally got an image on the bulb setting after a 2 second exposure. I reset to factory default, took the lens off and on. Shot a number of photos on all settings. Then it suddenly worked. Tried taking photos inside again this morning with normal indoor lighting. Same problem. Adjusted settings again and after a few more shots, back to normal. Anyone ever discover what exactly is happening?
Edited by ATXphotog: 05/03/2017 - 20:45
paolo11
Posted 05/03/2017 - 20:31 Link
Sorry you are having the problem which exists on both the K30 and K50. Take note of your Fstop. Does problem arise when at say 4.5? and no problem say at 18.0?

Some of the problems are when the lens is wide open or near wide open, and work okay at smaller lens opening (like mine did.) Maybe you are experiencing this.

If it works okay in manual mode, then you are having the dreaded aperture block problem.
Posted 05/03/2017 - 21:02 Link
Thanks for your response and questions. It happens on all settings and stops. After snapping about 8 shots, it functions normally.

What is the fix for the aperture block problem? Is the repair shop mentioned offering service? Website or contact info.

paolo11 wrote:
Sorry you are having the problem which exists on both the K30 and K50. Take note of your Fstop. Does problem arise when at say 4.5? and no problem say at 18.0?

Some of the problems are when the lens is wide open or near wide open, and work okay at smaller lens opening (like mine did.) Maybe you are experiencing this.

If it works okay in manual mode, then you are having the dreaded aperture block problem.

paolo11
Posted 05/03/2017 - 21:15 Link
I sent mine out to CA, cost 100.00 plus shipping. The guy works on all different brands of cameras for about 20 years gives a year warranty.

google pentaxcamerarepair.com

So far, it been okay, about 2 months into repair.

I would set mine to sport mode, fire off about 5 - 8 shots, then it would work, turn off, then same problem.

There are people who repair the camera by filing down a "plunger". You can find this by searching, some good instructions.

Some had a slow degrade, while others when bad fast like mine, about 1200 shots.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.