Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K5 Shutter Jamming

Mike-P
Posted 01/09/2011 - 22:14 Link
I am beginning to wonder about mine actually.

I have only had the jam once but quite often (especially lately) when I press the shutter button the camera takes 2 shots.

It is set for single shot and I know I am not twitching with the button.
i-Berg
Posted 01/09/2011 - 22:55 Link
Mike - on several occasions I have used the K5, then let it hang back down on the neck strap, and moved on. As the camera back has been bumping around against my clothing while walking, the four way buttons have been pressed randomly. Voila! Next shots, all sorts of wonderful settings, including more than one shot.

It hasn't happened with the Kx, likely as it is lighter and does not usually have the 50-135 on the front (more weight).
Mike-P
Posted 01/09/2011 - 23:23 Link
I dont use a strap .. I just hold the camera by the grip.
pianoman
Posted 02/09/2011 - 10:45 Link
K5 now back at shop, I never use a neckstrap either usually the strap is wrapped around my wrist and camera held.I doubt this is the problem I have heard it could be a circuit board just below the top display but no idea if this is fact but we will see.It cant be right to have to take a battery out or reset the camera or anything else to my mind it should just work and in the words of SRS "This cant be right" so just be glad when its sorted and it may throw some light on the issue for others who have experienced the same problem..
All the best

David
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 02/09/2011 - 13:56 Link
Looking foreward to the answer as this freeze up has happened to me a couple of times
pianoman
Posted 02/09/2011 - 15:17 Link
I will post the outcome as soon as I know
All the best

David
ChrisR
Posted 02/09/2011 - 15:31 Link
Hi.

First day using my K5 today, and have already had a freeze up, had to remove battery to clear.
Not good.

Take care.

Chris R.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 02/09/2011 - 23:58 Link
This seems to happen so much whatever settings , you would of thought Pentax would of sorted by now
Algernon
Posted 03/09/2011 - 09:17 Link
Mines frozen up 2 or 3 times always after I switch on.
Removing the battery has always fixed it. I can live with
it at present, but if it gets any worse it will have to be sent
back.

Lets hope it can be fixed by a firmware release.

I had a similar problem with a Panasonic HDD/DVD Freeview TV Recorder,
used to lock up after switching on and only removing the mains
lead fixed it. It's now about a year old and I haven't had the
problem for about 6 months, so it may have fixed itself or an
over the air update might have done it.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
ChrisR
Posted 03/09/2011 - 09:36 Link
Algernon wrote:
Mines frozen up 2 or 3 times always after I switch on.
Removing the battery has always fixed it. I can live with
it at present, but if it gets any worse it will have to be sent
back.

Lets hope it can be fixed by a firmware release.

I had a similar problem with a Panasonic HDD/DVD Freeview TV Recorder,
used to lock up after switching on and only removing the mains
lead fixed it. It's now about a year old and I haven't had the
problem for about 6 months, so it may have fixed itself or an
over the air update might have done it.

You have reminded me, I have a Panasonic TV. Software on that used to freeze on a regular basis, has not done it now for some time, as you said maybe there has been a over air software update, that has been downloaded automatically.

Unfortunately we will not get a camera firmware update automatically, will have to return to the dealers. As I would not risk a DIY update.

Chris R.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
PENTAX1244
Posted 18/09/2011 - 00:34 Link
Sadly I have had same problem with my K5 on 3 occasions,always when using AF-C in continuous high speed shooting,frequent pressing the shutter button, but not holding it down continuously.
Removing battery always cures problem.
I'm fairly happy not full buffer problem and battery was fully charged and a original Pentax battery.
See if they bring out a firmware update to solve problem.

Regards Pete
Use Pentax K5,K5IIs, LENS Pentax 16-45, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Pentax 300DA F4, Sigma 105 2.8 macro. Flash Pentax AF-540FGZ, PENTAX battery grip.
Edited by PENTAX1244: 18/09/2011 - 00:36
slowtour
Posted 09/12/2011 - 22:05 Link
Hi I am new to this site. I have been having troubles with my K5 and saw this discussion. My K5 started to jam on my holidays about two months ago. The shutter wouldn't move (and there was a quiet click noise inside) and then the display would show flat battery (even with fully charged spare battery). Camera stopped working for up to two days and then would work fine for another day and stop again. The camera has been treated very well and hasn't been dropped from any height. It has gone to the Australian warranty repairer and so far they haven't been able to duplicate the problem.

Anyone else experience something like this?
pianoman
Posted 09/12/2011 - 22:17 Link
Hi Slowtour welcome here. I had problems which seem identical to yours but fingers crossed the fault was diagnosed and repaired.I had the same issues and on the first time the camera was returned as the fault could not be duplicated but it was not long before it jammed again,this time a fault was discovered and rectified

The repair docket states Replaced Mirror motor assembly,Adjusted BO FPC
Hope this helps and to date no problems have arisen

Good luck and hope this helps and hope they do duplicate your problem as it is essential to effect the work being commenced

Odd as it would sound but if it is returned as fault not found try replicating the situation which caused it to fail and send it back "jammed"
I did try all the things mentioned but eventually mine jammed and just would not free itself but its great to have it back and best it happens sooner rather than later in my view but I am no expert
Out of interest were you in continious mode shooting ?
Good luck with it
All the best

David
Edited by pianoman: 09/12/2011 - 22:22
slowtour
Posted 10/12/2011 - 07:40 Link
Hi David,
And thanks for the reply. The fault happened at various times, but I don't think that it was ever when I was continuous shooting. In fact, I can't think of a common thread - except that I was shooting. The first time it happened I was on holidays in Europe and it jammed several times over a few weeks until it just jammed permanently. I posted it back to Australia - and I worked first time when I opened the parcel at home. Then I used it at a niece's wedding a week later and it jammed after 3.5 hours and 325 shots later. That is when I sent it off for repair.

Thanks for your feedback on your problem - I will send your description of the solution - to the repairer just in case it helps with a diagnosis. I must say that I am REALLY missing that camera as I love the results that I get with it.

Cheers
Slowtour (also David)
pianoman
Posted 10/12/2011 - 11:02 Link
Hi David good luck let us know how you get on and fingers crossed your problems will be resolved soon
All the best

David

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.