K5 Poll
This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 16/12/2010 - 01:13
Link
If your K-5 has the same problem as most of us, then you cannot remove these marks by cleaning, as they are under the aa filter which lies over the front of the sensor.
I would advise you to return it as 'unfit for perpose' and ask for a refund. You have not posted your location, but if it is in the UK, you are protected by consumer law for faulty goods. If you accept a repair, you may forfiet your right to a refund.
You can then purchase a clean camera as these are now shipping from Pentax. Go to a reliable pro dealer and make sure there is an assurance of a replacement if your new one is also faulty. Don't give up on it as the camera is really worth the wait.
I would advise you to return it as 'unfit for perpose' and ask for a refund. You have not posted your location, but if it is in the UK, you are protected by consumer law for faulty goods. If you accept a repair, you may forfiet your right to a refund.
You can then purchase a clean camera as these are now shipping from Pentax. Go to a reliable pro dealer and make sure there is an assurance of a replacement if your new one is also faulty. Don't give up on it as the camera is really worth the wait.
Posted 16/12/2010 - 10:08
Link
@Monobod Thanks for the advice. I am in the UK and bought the K5 from a Pentax Pro Centre so I would expect them to adopt the same admirably professional approach to the issue as Chris Harland of SRS has on this forum. I am delighted with every aspect of the K5 so would not be interested in any alternative and I'm pretty confident that this hiccup can be satisfactorily resolved.
Although this issue is naturally of concern to K5 owners I am personally a little disappointed that people on several forums feel the need to make a lot of noise about it in the belief that it will prompt Pentax into action. Nikon and Canon have had sensor issues in the past and have addressed them. No doubt Pentax will do the same and quite likely they already have measures under way acting on feedback from their Pro Centres.
Although this issue is naturally of concern to K5 owners I am personally a little disappointed that people on several forums feel the need to make a lot of noise about it in the belief that it will prompt Pentax into action. Nikon and Canon have had sensor issues in the past and have addressed them. No doubt Pentax will do the same and quite likely they already have measures under way acting on feedback from their Pro Centres.
Posted 16/12/2010 - 10:34
Link
Yes indeed, the Canon G10 had a recall because of lines across the sensor, but fortunately mine did not have the problem. These things happen, look how many cars are recalled for various reasons.
What matters is how the customers are treated.
What matters is how the customers are treated.
Posted 22/12/2010 - 02:05
Link
Bought the k5 from a pro centre a week ago, only received it 4 days ago because of the delivery chaos, didnt want to check it yet as i know theres no chance of getting another this side of xmas but finally had a look and yup! dust and oil spots.Looks like tomorrow's going to be spent on the phone. Serial no. 3828***, came with version 1.0
Posted 22/12/2010 - 02:11
Link
Don wrote:
the fact that it is appearing after first use implies it is post purchase, not likely it got between the glass AFTER manufacure...
as I guessed earlier, if it happened after use some instances may on the glass and others may be during manufacture... in both cases it may be the same source... oil...
if the glass is defective and porus, then as it heats, individual molecules of oil could settle into the pores and be impossible to clean afterwards........ as in the cured frying pan example I stated...
Is it appearing after some time in ALL cases though? Some one at the other forum and did some calculations and found it to lie under the out glass sensor covering.Pentaxophile wrote:
eech I've got to change that avatar, seemed a funny idea at the time...
unless the oil is spattering, then being absorbed by a coating on the glass or (think along the lines of curing a cast iron frying pan) the oil is getting baked on to (a porous) glass surface....Don wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Daniel Bridge"]
I bet ir will clean up off the sensor with a cotton swab and lens cleaner or alcohol...
If you try to clean it please post your results?
In all cases it seems the marks were under, not on, the glass to the front of the sensor. The characteristic 'spray' patterns which look so much like oil spatters have been confirmed to lie behind the glass, as reported by people who have had their sensors professionally cleaned or by boffins like Falk Lumo who have measured the position of the offending marks. It would be extremely unlikely that two different causes were at work, producing the same or similar pattern of marks?[quote:3496ace15f="Daniel Bridge"]
I bet ir will clean up off the sensor with a cotton swab and lens cleaner or alcohol...
If you try to clean it please post your results?
eech I've got to change that avatar, seemed a funny idea at the time...
the fact that it is appearing after first use implies it is post purchase, not likely it got between the glass AFTER manufacure...
as I guessed earlier, if it happened after use some instances may on the glass and others may be during manufacture... in both cases it may be the same source... oil...
if the glass is defective and porus, then as it heats, individual molecules of oil could settle into the pores and be impossible to clean afterwards........ as in the cured frying pan example I stated...
I think the jury is still out on the exact nature of the problem, but it's certainly clear that it's pretty widespread.
I'm projecting to buy a new K-5 before the end of January now. I just hope I can source a clean one at that time.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 22/12/2010 - 02:26
Link
Couldn't say it's after some time as due to weather conditions and my newfound aversion to all things cold, i doubt i've hit the button more than 30 times. I will set it up and check again tomorrow then it's phone time, at least i kept the k20 just now, because i've no idea when this will get sorted.
Posted 12/01/2011 - 20:49
Link
SmutjeUK wrote:
Now I wonder if it could be Oil Splatter or some other kind of surface 'dirt' that you may be able to clean as your first test was clean of any fault.
Please do not get me wrong here, I am not sure myself what is going on but most that have the fault seem to have it right from the first picture. I am only go by what is posted in various forums and what Pentax seemed to have said where the fault is.
I would see if a clean would work and if not I would say that you get back to the retailer and see what they say but I may would leave out the part that the sensor was clean in the beginning, just in case that they get funny.
SRS seem really to go the extra ten miles with replacements and you should be good if you got the camera from them but if you got another retailer it seems a bit of hit and miss of how they deal with the problem.
One thing that I learned out of this is that I will get myself a second body after I got the lens I need so that I be able to carry on working if I have a problem and need my camera repaired/replaced again.
I tend to get a K20D with Grip purely as you can get them cheap(ish) but I may wait a bit longer and get the K-7 as I can make use of my extra spare batteries I got for my K-5 and I can use the grip as well (also I probably would get a third party one then as well as they are relatively cheap anyway compare to the Pentax one).
Just as an update, I have since given the sensor a wet clean, and the marks remain. I'm not worried as the camera's being swapped out by the retailer, but just confirming that I had no problem, then the mark appeared, and a wet clean did not move any of it, so I can presume from this it's not oil, and the mark is not a fault in the glass.Daniel Bridge wrote:
3821xxx
Although the original test shots I took showed a very small single spot to one side of the frame at f/32, I just wasn't worried about it, as I never shoot smaller than f/16 and it simply wasn't a problem.
The marks that have appeared are near the centre of the sensor.
First shot, no marks, K-5 with DA*300mm lens at f/32, 7th December

Second shot, marks, K-5 with DA*300mm lens at f/32, 13th December

These are both 100% crops of the same region of the sensor.
Even with heavy processing, I just can't see anything in this region on the earlier shot, not even faint marks.
Dan
According to this post link that 'Sapphie' posted in the "K5 Sensor Issues..." thread the fault is in the glass and not between the AA Filter and the Sensor, that would mean that any fault would be visible right from the start. 3821xxx
Although the original test shots I took showed a very small single spot to one side of the frame at f/32, I just wasn't worried about it, as I never shoot smaller than f/16 and it simply wasn't a problem.
The marks that have appeared are near the centre of the sensor.
First shot, no marks, K-5 with DA*300mm lens at f/32, 7th December

Second shot, marks, K-5 with DA*300mm lens at f/32, 13th December

These are both 100% crops of the same region of the sensor.
Even with heavy processing, I just can't see anything in this region on the earlier shot, not even faint marks.
Dan
Now I wonder if it could be Oil Splatter or some other kind of surface 'dirt' that you may be able to clean as your first test was clean of any fault.
Please do not get me wrong here, I am not sure myself what is going on but most that have the fault seem to have it right from the first picture. I am only go by what is posted in various forums and what Pentax seemed to have said where the fault is.
I would see if a clean would work and if not I would say that you get back to the retailer and see what they say but I may would leave out the part that the sensor was clean in the beginning, just in case that they get funny.
SRS seem really to go the extra ten miles with replacements and you should be good if you got the camera from them but if you got another retailer it seems a bit of hit and miss of how they deal with the problem.
One thing that I learned out of this is that I will get myself a second body after I got the lens I need so that I be able to carry on working if I have a problem and need my camera repaired/replaced again.
I tend to get a K20D with Grip purely as you can get them cheap(ish) but I may wait a bit longer and get the K-7 as I can make use of my extra spare batteries I got for my K-5 and I can use the grip as well (also I probably would get a third party one then as well as they are relatively cheap anyway compare to the Pentax one).
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 12/01/2011 - 21:36
Link
I wonder if these are appearing after the sensor has got hot from use? Oil or whatever becoming more fluid and spreading?? Just a thought.
Posted 12/01/2011 - 22:12
Link
Just done another check, and yes, I have them too. Not as bad as others, but they are there. Put it under the Sensor Scope and the sensor appears clean.
Looks like it is going back.
However, before it goes back. I am going to give it the rocket blower, just to make sure, and take an F22 shot in Daylight and on the tripod, just to confirm if the marks stay the same. So that is a job for Saturday.
Looks like it is going back.
However, before it goes back. I am going to give it the rocket blower, just to make sure, and take an F22 shot in Daylight and on the tripod, just to confirm if the marks stay the same. So that is a job for Saturday.
Some Cameras
Posted 29/01/2011 - 15:47
Link
Marks have showed up on mine now. I noticed them when I tried using RAW but I don't know if RAW would make any difference.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 29/01/2011 - 16:06
Link
A serial number would be nice bforbes
Would stop alot of folk panicking
Would stop alot of folk panicking
Posted 29/01/2011 - 16:13
Link
Barrie, RAW won't affect whether you can see the marks or not.
Have you cleaned the sensor?
Maybe you could post the photos in question?
Have you cleaned the sensor?
Maybe you could post the photos in question?
Posted 29/01/2011 - 16:30
Link
Sean282 wrote:
A serial number would be nice bforbes
Would stop alot of folk panicking
3822***A serial number would be nice bforbes
Would stop alot of folk panicking
Gwyn wrote:
Barrie, RAW won't affect whether you can see the marks or not.
Have you cleaned the sensor?
Maybe you could post the photos in question?
Barrie, RAW won't affect whether you can see the marks or not.
Have you cleaned the sensor?
Maybe you could post the photos in question?
I've just used Raw for the first time and wondered, because RAW retains more info, if the marks were more likely to show up. May just be a coincidence.
I did clean the sensor, but no change.
The photo is the f22 plain wall test.
[IMG]http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv154/bforbes/IMGP5984.jpg[/IMG]
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


111 posts
15 years
Kent,
UK
Jim