K5 or Kr

Don

Link Posted 24/05/2011 - 23:17
fritzthedog wrote:
Don wrote:
I had to make the same choice a while back. Do not for a minute regret buying the kr.... if money permits later, may very well sell off two k10's and buy 2 k5's, but for the time being, that kr is getting a lot of use.

Same with me Don - K20 hardly gets used now

my ds2, and k10's are still being used lots. to be fair, the kr doesn't show any improvement over the k10's in the studio, with studio lighting at iso 100...... but in low light, and for sports (my kids soccer games for example) the kr is faster at everything and I use it a lot for video. But in the studio, my k10's are still my workhorses.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Lucky Lee

Link Posted 25/05/2011 - 08:35
Thanks for that Dave, a good enough review for me mate.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my questions and pointing me in the right direction.

If I can now encroach on your time again and just ask what sort of flashgun should I get?

It will be used mainly for a bit of fill-in but may be used for more than that.
I've looked at the Pentax range as well as Sigma and Metz; I just need a little push in the right direction here.
I would think that Pentax flashguns would be the best as they'd be in 'tune' with the camera but this is really a grey area for me.

I want one that has a swivel head and it would be good if I could use it off camera (what special things would I need for this on either the K5 or Kr?) and fix diffusers to it.

Thanks in advance!

Fletcher8

Link Posted 25/05/2011 - 08:50
If you have the money, the answer is simple

Pentax K5
Pentax 50-135mm f2.8 DA* ED SDM
Mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital
Fletcher8.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 25/05/2011 - 08:52
Lucky Lee wrote:
fritzthedog wrote:
Sorry that probably did not help

No Carl, that did not help!

I've noticed that the K5 has dropped to 878 at Warehouse Express, so it is looking better! But the Kr does sound pretty good.

....and SRS have reduced the K-r to 389 - now I have a problem - at that price I am tempted to buy another one!!

Re the 50-135 - I agree with Dave - stick with your Sigma - IMHO. Not sure from what you say whether you already own the Sigma or intend getting it but if you already own it - would you not be better buying another lens covering a totally different range? Such as the excellent Sigma 10-20?

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 25/05/2011 - 08:53

fritzthedog

Link Posted 25/05/2011 - 13:52
Lucky Lee wrote:
fritzthedog wrote:
Sorry that probably did not help

I've noticed that the K5 has dropped to 878 at Warehouse Express, so it is looking better! But the Kr does sound pretty good.

A

....and the Kr is down to 385 at SRS so 2 x Kr = 770 Vs 1 x K5 - 878

mmmm - 2 Krs for 100 less than a k5 - so - is the K5 more than twice as good as the Kr? - no IMHO, not if you are just comparing VFM - and before anybody starts - I know there are many other considerations/arguments - my comment is purely for value when money is an object!

....and finally from me - If my options were a great camera Vs a really good camera and a great lens - I will take the good camera and great lens comnination every time!

Carl

fritzthedog

Link Posted 25/05/2011 - 17:32
oops sorry about the 2 almost identical posts together - didnt think I had posted the first version and re did it !
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 25/05/2011 - 17:32

Anvh

Link Posted 25/05/2011 - 20:27
The best way to decide is to go to a shop and actually hold both camera and play with them, you'll notice fast enough if the Kr is right for you or if the K5 is a better match.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Lucky Lee

Link Posted 26/05/2011 - 08:39
Fletcher8 - I will have some money, around +/-2000 and your choice is pretty tempting, especially the Metz.

Carl - I've not got the 70-200 yet, it will be part of the package I'm going to buy. You mention the 10-20mm, is that a Sigma or Pentax one? I was thinking of a wide angle lens as I love shooting cathedral interiors and that would be pretty nifty.
My Dad always said it was better to spend the money on the lens rather than the camera; but that was in the day of film whereas today there is more to consider such as noise control in the camera.

Stefan - I did try both cameras at Focus '11 and liked both of them! Thats one of the problems I have .
Last Edited by Lucky Lee on 26/05/2011 - 08:39

Don

Link Posted 26/05/2011 - 14:28
Lucky Lee wrote:
Fletcher8 - I will have some money, around +/-2000 and your choice is pretty tempting, especially the Metz.

Carl - I've not got the 70-200 yet, it will be part of the package I'm going to buy. You mention the 10-20mm, is that a Sigma or Pentax one? I was thinking of a wide angle lens as I love shooting cathedral interiors and that would be pretty nifty.
My Dad always said it was better to spend the money on the lens rather than the camera; but that was in the day of film whereas today there is more to consider such as noise control in the camera.

Stefan - I did try both cameras at Focus '11 and liked both of them! Thats one of the problems I have .

I know what you mean. That is when I listed off the main pros and cons of each, as it relates to the gear I already have..... for example... the proprietary battery in the k5 vs the aa adaptor on the kr...

the kr offered me me lower price, ability to run off the same batteries as my ds2, and flash units so I already have multiple sets of batteries and chargers... handy when out in the feild. my kr's battery gets stuck in a pocket hidden away and I just use the aa's as my main batteries...
and video, my main reason for buying...
the kr added substantial low light and faster shooting and af than my current cameras, and was therefore the smarter buy. I would have needed 2 k5's to replace 2 k10's (too many propriety batteries and chargers to work with in the field.). if I had gone with k5's. I still might if business picks up... but money matters and adding to my kit vs replacing it made more cents.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 26/05/2011 - 14:29

toy_car_uk

Link Posted 26/05/2011 - 19:43
Could well be worth ringing SRS and asking if they would do a discount on hiring both body's a week to help you decide or if they would they discount the one you decide to buy. Worst that can happen is the say no.

for my 2p worth. I own K-r, I have no regrets with my choice.
My Flickr account, constructive criticism welcome.

Anvh

Link Posted 26/05/2011 - 20:10
here are the pros since the cons are easy to think about because they are the pros of the other camera

Kr
- 2 different power supplies
- cheaper

K5
- better viewfinder
- better build quality (though the build quality of the Kr is also very good)
- better sensor (don't forget the 14bit RAW files)
- 2 e-control wheels (actually you've more direct control overall with the k5 then with the Kr but if you don't want that it's worth nothing right)
- better video?
- no advance features
-- AF lens adjustment
-- horizon leveling
-- sensor composition (moving the sensor around which can be handy on a tripod)
-- programming shutter time table (you can put in how many photos the camera must over a specific time, you can do time lapse with that)

Most of these are minor things though but since i love to have manual control over all my settings (shutter, aperture and ISO) i just need the more direct control the K5 (and other camera's in his class) has to offer.
If you want to shoot more in manual mode and want more control over your settings then simply get the K5, it's really worth it.
If you shoot most of the time in Av for example and are fine with that then simply get the Kr and use the money you save on a new lens
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Lucky Lee

Link Posted 27/05/2011 - 07:25
Thanks, once again everyone.

There are certainly a lot to be be said for both of these cameras and, in one way, its a shame that one of them doesn't have lots of flaws just so it would make the choice easier!!

I do like the idea of the AF lens adjustment, it might very well come in handy; but the operative word here is might.

Stefen - I tend to shoot in Av mode a lot of the time (so much so that if my cameras could talk then they'd say "What ya doing Pal?" if I changed to anything else!) with manual coming a close 2nd.
I think, at the minute, the Kr is a fraction of a mm in the lead.

Both of these cameras seem to be just superb. I've had a look on Flickr at masses of pictures taken with both cameras and I'm impressed with the quality of the photos from both cameras.

So, thank you all very much for your valued input in realtion to my query; I'm impressed and grateful for all of your advice, assistance and thoughts. You've been very helpful and I appreciate that.

I'm not sure when I'm being made redundant at the moment; the 90 day consultation is over but we haven't been given our last working day dates yet. The redundancy money and our shares will come about 2 weeks after we leave; but as soon as I get the money I will be straight out to get the (whichever ones I go for) gear and I'll let you know what I finally bought.

And finally, I don't know if any of you have seen this website but its one I found sometime ago: link

sam-joseph

Link Posted 27/05/2011 - 11:58
Here's my two bobs worth. I've just bought a K7, when I was all fired up for a K-r. The K7 was only marginally more expensive than the K-r (as a grey import), and I'm glad I took the chance on it. I've now got a top-spec camera which I may never fully utilize, yet the K-r would have been another "entry-level" camera to me, albeit far superior to my old K100D Super. The build quality, Weather sealing, fantastic smooth shutter and huge feature list have potentially offered me years of photo opportunities I never had with my trusted K100D Super. Go with the best you can afford, I'd say. Whether it's a K7 or newer K5 at almost twice the price, you won't be disappointed.
Regards
Sam-Joseph
Pentax K7, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Sigma 70-300 APO, Sigma 1.4x TC, Vivitar 2x TC. Takumar 135mm f2.5, SMC Pentax A 50mm 1:1.7, SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, Pentax X70

Anvh

Link Posted 27/05/2011 - 18:34
Lucky Lee wrote:
Stefen - I tend to shoot in Av mode a lot of the time (so much so that if my cameras could talk then they'd say "What ya doing Pal?" if I changed to anything else!) with manual coming a close 2nd.
I think, at the minute, the Kr is a fraction of a mm in the lead.

Then the question is do you want to stay at the level you're now or go to the next step.

Both make very good pictures so you shouldn't look into the differnce there.
You just need to ask yourself if you're happy with the way you're photographing now if so then the more advance ffeatures and controlls simply won't get a lot of use while you do pay for them. If you want to go to the next step so to say then the K5 is the logical choice.
The Kr won't need a lot of learning but the K5 simply give you more potential to grow further, the question is do you want that?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Lucky Lee

Link Posted 28/05/2011 - 09:18
Sam-Joseph - Adding the K7 into the mix is interesting. I've not considered it and don't know how it matches up to the K5 & Kr noise-wise; it'll be interesting to find that out.

Stefan - You've made a very valid point and one that I hadn't really considered. You're quite right, I do want to grow and I might be making the mistake of choosing cost over overall quality and growth potential.
I would like to advance my limited use of flash, maybe even going to the extent of adding lights et al to my set-ups.

I'm not sure about the K7 yet, I've not looked at it and I'm not too sure. I've heard it had a shutter release sound similar to a gun going off!

I think that I'm really going to have to do an indepth study of what the K5 will offer me as a package and having a hard look at where I'm going with my photography in the next few months and even years.

Thanks, once again!!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.