K5 - Strange Mechanical Noise
Posted 11/03/2012 - 15:19
Link
It sounds like you've shorted some contacts as you've put the other lens on thats started the autofocus motor running, it's always much better to switch the camera OFF before swaping a Lens.
If the camera's been working fine since, I don't think any damage been done, see how you go for a week or so and if it's still OK, forget about the incident.
If the camera's been working fine since, I don't think any damage been done, see how you go for a week or so and if it's still OK, forget about the incident.
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 11/03/2012 - 15:39
Link
What Chris said about changing lenses. Always always always always always always turn the camera OFF before doing it.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Posted 17/03/2012 - 09:45
Link
Hi guys,
Can't say whether I'd left the camera on or not. I must say I don't think I am in the habit of checking one way or another so that could have been the problem. Never had an issue with any other Pentax film/digital SLRs but maybe I've just been lucky. Good news is that camera has had an extensive week in the Arctic Circle including photos of the northern lights. So looks like no damage done. But it was a most 'worrying noise'.
Regards
Richard Briggs
Can't say whether I'd left the camera on or not. I must say I don't think I am in the habit of checking one way or another so that could have been the problem. Never had an issue with any other Pentax film/digital SLRs but maybe I've just been lucky. Good news is that camera has had an extensive week in the Arctic Circle including photos of the northern lights. So looks like no damage done. But it was a most 'worrying noise'.
Regards
Richard Briggs
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2 posts
14 years
Whatever was making the noise (autofocus? Shake control? dust removal?) was obviously working well beyond whatever it was specced to do (the noise was loud, believe me). I am now worried about whether some permanant damage has been done.
Anyone any ideas?
Richard