I think my k-r is dying.

Charlotte

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 20:40
Hi all,

My k-r seems to have developed a mind of it's own.

Aside from the focusing problems I've been having, it's now started to occasionally, go into what appears to be long exposure and the only way to stop it is to take the battery out and re-insert it.
It has also started to, what sounds like the shutter closing two or three times in rapid succession without actually taking a photo.

I was wondering if anyone else had any similar problems with their camera.

Kind regards
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

gartmore

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 20:44
I would reset to the factory defaults, check the battery and reinstall the firmware
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Charlotte

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 21:08
Thanks Ken,

I've only got the one battery so would it be an idea to buy a new battery to compare with, before resetting to the factory defaults?

Kind regards
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

steven9761

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 21:47
Charlotte - the 3 rapid "clicks" of the shutter suggests to me that somehow or other, the shooting mode is set to RAW + JPEG. Have you also done a firmware update yet? That might resolve it.

Whizzkiddwill

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 21:58
I'm far from an expert so this is just a thought. Three shutters clicks could be exposure bracketing. Press the up key of the four way controller and check to make sure it's not set on this instead of single shot. Hope you get it working.

Will
Pentax K-x, DAL f3.5-5.6 18-55mm,Pentax-A 50mm f2, DAL f4-5.6 50-200mm, FG360FGZ

Mike-P

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 22:10
If it were Raw+Jpeg or exposure bracketing then she would get a picture of some sort.

Charlotte wrote:

It has also started to, what sounds like the shutter closing two or three times in rapid succession without actually taking a photo.

. My Flickr

Charlotte

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 22:11
Thanks - the camera is set to RAW and single shot, which I only alter if I'm taking photos of something that is moving quickly and then I use 'rapid fire'.

I haven't done a firmware update so will do that tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Charlotte x
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Charlotte

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 22:24
Mike-P wrote:
If it were Raw+Jpeg or exposure bracketing then she would get a picture of some sort.

Charlotte wrote:

Sorry Mike our posts crossed.
That's what was confusing me - what ever's up with the blasted thing is bloody frustrating.

Kind regards
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

davidstorm

Link Posted 15/03/2012 - 23:02
Hi Charlotte, if you do the firmware update make sure your battery is well charged. Also, does your battery retain its charge or does it drain quickly?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Charlotte

Link Posted 16/03/2012 - 18:37
Hi David,
I haven't noticed the battery discharging any quicker but if it's wearing out gradually I might not realise I'm charging more often.

I think I'll buy a new battery before I do anything else. It's only an intermittent problem at the moment and a bit annoying because it always seems to happen when I spotted a really good shot.

Thanks,
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Mike-P

Link Posted 16/03/2012 - 18:39
Is it anything like THIS Charlotte?
. My Flickr

Charlotte

Link Posted 16/03/2012 - 19:12
Yes, Thanks Mike,

So it could be the badly designed battery adaptation from the k-x.

I'm just trying to think now whether it happens just when I'm using the extension tubes or if it happens when I'm using just a lens.

Thanks again Mike,

Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/03/2012 - 21:04
It might be worth getting a cheap AA battery adaptor from ebay and trying some AA Sanyo eneloops in it to see if the problem goes away?

Also, try cleaning all the contacts between lens and body thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. It seems most likely to be a battery / contact issue of some sort.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Charlotte

Link Posted 16/03/2012 - 21:15
Hi David,

Yep, I'll try an adapter - I'm glad Mike posted that before I'd ordered a spare battery, could have been a waste of time.

I'll have a look for some of that alcohol over here as well, I'm sure she'd enjoy a good clean anyway.

Kind regards
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Charlotte

Link Posted 17/03/2012 - 12:52
After reading Mike's link and researching further, I have taken the tube with the glass in it, out of my 3 x converter and have tried using the glassless converter instead of the cheapo extension tubes.

So far I've not had any mirror flipping or what sounds like long exposure so it's possible it might have been a contact issue.

I'll still change to an adapter and try some eneloops though. I've always thought the battery set up with the k-r is a bid odd.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog
Last Edited by Charlotte on 17/03/2012 - 12:53
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.