K3iii a few initial thoughts

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 15:20
beakynet wrote:
This would interest me to as the SDM motor has given up on my 16-50 and have considered the 'screw drive fix' over a repair.

I would recommend the 'screw drive fix' - I did mine last year and speed seems similar to before, only real difference is that it isn't as quiet as SDM. I've seen several reports of SDM repairs having the same issue some time later
LennyBloke

HarisF1

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 16:10
I've managed to 'fix' a couple of SDM lenses using an experimental method of using WD-40, contact cleaner and multipurpose lubricating oil.

If I lube the motor up too much, it spins but won't seem to catch the focus mechanism to move the elements. If it's too dry then it just doesn't shift. There's a point in between which is perfect.

One of the lenses is a 17-70 which hasn't got screw drive to fall back to.

JohnX

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 17:25
HarisF1 wrote:
I've managed to 'fix' a couple of SDM lenses using an experimental method of using WD-40, contact cleaner and multipurpose lubricating oil.

If I lube the motor up too much, it spins but won't seem to catch the focus mechanism to move the elements. If it's too dry then it just doesn't shift. There's a point in between which is perfect.

Your own invention?

HarisF1

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 18:21
JohnX wrote:
HarisF1 wrote:

Your own invention?

Yep, just playing around with them and I realised that I had revived a really 'dead' SDM lens. Even leaving the lens for a couple of weeks doesn't cause sluggishness like you'd expect.

malvern_man

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 18:29
I had mine delivered this morning, I'll be starting my 2021 racing seasons photographic duties at a 'behind closed doors' banger/stock car meeting at the weekend. It'll be a good test of the auto focus while tracking fast moving cars.

I've noticed that Pentax have removed the facility to check if there's any dust on the sensor, unless I've missed it in the settings, I always felt that this was quite a useful feature.
My Website

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 18:45
malvern_man wrote:
.........I've noticed that Pentax have removed the facility to check if there's any dust on the sensor, unless I've missed it in the settings, I always felt that this was quite a useful feature.

You could probably achieve the same results by taking a photo of a white wall/ceiling/card with the aperture closed down and over-exposing by a stop or 2! You wouldn't get the nice little frame that simulates the view of the throat of the camera - but you'd probably work it out after a couple of go's

p.s. Congrats on your new arrival by the way
LennyBloke

beakynet

Link Posted 29/04/2021 - 10:50
LennyBloke wrote:
beakynet wrote:
This would interest me to as the SDM motor has given up on my 16-50 and have considered the 'screw drive fix' over a repair.

I would recommend the 'screw drive fix' - I did mine last year and speed seems similar to before, only real difference is that it isn't as quiet as SDM. I've seen several reports of SDM repairs having the same issue some time later

I've had two SDM failures on my 50-135, so screw drive fix it will be for the 16-50!
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

robbiec

Link Posted 01/05/2021 - 11:22
I have a screw drive 16-50 and a K-3iii incoming (dunno when, I preordered it 4 weeks ago ) so I'll give impressions when I have the combo together.
My Gallery
[url=http://pentaxphotogallery.com/Robbie Corrigan]ppg[/url]

Tyr

Link Posted 01/05/2021 - 18:03
Had a play with my Dad's 55-300 PLM today and I was seriously impressed with the IQ and AF speed on the K-3 iii. Don't really have any impactful images to show right now as it was just around the garden. Need more time but won't have access to that lens again for a while.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

malvern_man

Link Posted 03/05/2021 - 22:00
On Sunday May 2nd I tried out my new K3 III at the first stock car/banger meeting of the 2021 season (run under covid guidelines)....photos are in the 'Your Photos' gallery.

My initial thoughts are that I am a little underwhelmed with the performance, the image quality doesn't look much difference to my K3 II to be honest. The auto focus does seem a little faster when using continuous focus mode but out of the 1315 images I took I still ended up deleting around 250 as theses were way out of focus, which about the same as if I had used my K3 II.

I tried one set of races using the SR Panning setting, I wasn't impressed, so I just turned the SR setting off, which is my normal setting for fast moving cars.

The shutter release button is way to sensitive, it's fine in single shot mode but in drive mode you've got no chance. I initially had it on the high setting (12fps) but as soon as I pressed the button fully down to take the shot it just kept on taking them, so instead of taking one shot it took loads. I changed the setting to medium and it was the same, it just didn't take so many shots. It might be that I've just got to get used to an ultra sensitive shutter release button.

The camera did lock up once and I had to remove the battery to get it to turn off and reset it, although the battery was quite low on power as hadn't realised the battery meter was in the red.

The view finder is nice and bright though.

Is the K3 III the all singing all dancing motor sport camera I hoped it would be...my personal opinion is...no it's not, but having said that it was my first time using it so things might change the more I get used to it.

Regards, Chris.
My Website
Last Edited by malvern_man on 03/05/2021 - 22:05

robbiec

Link Posted 03/05/2021 - 23:30
malvern_man wrote:
On Sunday May 2nd I tried out my new K3 III at the first stock car/banger meeting of the 2021 season (run under covid guidelines)....photos are in the 'Your Photos' gallery.

My initial thoughts are that I am a little underwhelmed with the performance, the image quality doesn't look much difference to my K3 II to be honest. The auto focus does seem a little faster when using continuous focus mode but out of the 1315 images I took I still ended up deleting around 250 as theses were way out of focus, which about the same as if I had used my K3 II.

I tried one set of races using the SR Panning setting, I wasn't impressed, so I just turned the SR setting off, which is my normal setting for fast moving cars.

The shutter release button is way to sensitive, it's fine in single shot mode but in drive mode you've got no chance. I initially had it on the high setting (12fps) but as soon as I pressed the button fully down to take the shot it just kept on taking them, so instead of taking one shot it took loads. I changed the setting to medium and it was the same, it just didn't take so many shots. It might be that I've just got to get used to an ultra sensitive shutter release button.

The camera did lock up once and I had to remove the battery to get it to turn off and reset it, although the battery was quite low on power as hadn't realised the battery meter was in the red.

Is the K3 III the all singing all dancing motor sport camera I hoped it would be...my personal opinion is...no it's not, but having said that it was my first time using it so things might change the more I get used to it.

Regards, Chris.

Perhaps being held back a little by the DA*50-135? Wonderful lens optically but generations behind the DFA*70-200 in focusing agility.
Cracking shots BTW
My Gallery
[url=http://pentaxphotogallery.com/Robbie Corrigan]ppg[/url]

Tyr

Link Posted 04/05/2021 - 15:33
robbiec wrote:
malvern_man wrote:

Regards, Chris.

Perhaps being held back a little by the DA*50-135? Wonderful lens optically but generations behind the DFA*70-200 in focusing agility.
Cracking shots BTW

Or a lot! I'd like to see how a DC or PLM lens does.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

womble

Link Posted 04/05/2021 - 16:41
As much as I love the rendering of the 50-135mm lens, the only [autofocus] lens I have that focuses slower is the original AF35-70 from the mid-80s. I know an updated version of the 16--50 is on the cards, lets hope the same is true for the 50-135.

K.

PS the 60-250 despite being SDM too is still faster than the 50-135.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

malvern_man

Link Posted 04/05/2021 - 23:30
Because the DFA*70-200 is a full frame lens would it still be suitable for use on an APS-C camera?

Regards, Chris.
My Website

womble

Link Posted 05/05/2021 - 07:38
malvern_man wrote:
Because the DFA*70-200 is a full frame lens would it still be suitable for use on an APS-C camera?

Regards, Chris.

Yes. I use "full frame" lenses on APS-C all the time. Your field of view is narrower because you are using less of the image circle.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.