K3 cancel AF problem ?

mille19

Link Posted 31/01/2014 - 08:08
I think it should work like it does on my K5, if you set the AF button to cancel AF that's what it does the camera won't try and AF but it doesn't effect the FPS you can still first a burst of shots.

On the K3 this doesn't happen it will take a single shot then you have to release the shutter button and then press again to take the shot, it's like setting the AF button to cancel AF also cancels the FPS shooting not just the AF.

It's not easy to put in writing but I hope I've made it clear.

mille19

Link Posted 04/02/2014 - 17:54
I've just had this reply from the Pentax Ricoh Imaging Technical Support team.

Dear Mr. Miller,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We recreated this issue here and we had no trouble to take pictures in continuous mode. Can you please make sure you are using the latest Firmware and that the camera was reseted after the firmware update?

I hope that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.
Should you have further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

When replying, please make sure this email is included.

With kind regards,
Tiago

Pentax Ricoh Imaging Technical Support

This is my reply
Tiago,
My K3 has Firmware 1.01 and the problem still exists. I have just tried it and the problem definitely still exists. When I posted the problem on the Pentaxforums.com web-site other K3 users confirmed they had the same problem.

This is the camera settings
1. In Button Customization the AF button is set to Cancel AF
2. AF mode set to AF.C (continuous)
3. Drive mode set to continuous (high)
With my K5 and these settings when I am taking photos at a rugby match and a player is kicking a conversion kick I focus on the rugby ball then press the rear AF button to cancel autofocus then I re-compose the photo and take a burst of photos when the player kicks the ball.

With these settings set on my K3 it will only take a single photo not a high speed burst of photos. It is as if the cancel AF button also cancels the continuous drive mode.
It's not easy to explain in writing but I hope this helps.

Can someone with a K3 please see if their camera has the same problem.
Last Edited by mille19 on 04/02/2014 - 17:55

mille19

Link Posted 05/02/2014 - 18:34
I've just updated to Firmware 1.02 and problem hasn't been fixed

ChrisA

Link Posted 05/02/2014 - 19:21
mille19 wrote:
I've just updated to Firmware 1.02 and problem hasn't been fixed

As a workaround, would you achieve what you want by using the back AF button exclusively to do the focusing?

That is, disable the 'AF on half-press'?

Then you could focus once (with the back AF button), then recompose and fire a burst with the shutter release.

I totally agree that it's not acceptable for Cancel AF to cancel all kinds of other things as well, but it might get you where you want to be until they fix it, if they can be bothered to actually address the issue (rather than send you a standard fob-off reply).

It would also be good to see if any other K-3 users here can confirm this behaviour.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

mille19

Link Posted 05/02/2014 - 19:44
ChrisA wrote:

As a workaround, would you achieve what you want by using the back AF button exclusively to do the focusing?

Yes Chris, there is a couple of ways around the problem, I suppose it's just me being fussy and not like being told there isn't a problem when there is

I've had the problem confirmed by a couple of K3 users on the other forum.

ChrisA

Link Posted 05/02/2014 - 19:57
mille19 wrote:
ChrisA wrote:

Yes Chris, there is a couple of ways around the problem, I suppose it's just me being fussy and not like being told there isn't a problem when there is

I've had the problem confirmed by a couple of K3 users on the other forum.

It's not 'being fussy' at all, I totally agree that it's worth kicking up a fuss, even if there's a workaround.

The default reaction of these so-called tech "support" departments is to assume that the person reporting a problem is an idiot (most probably are, to be fair, but that's no excuse), and to send a standard "go away" sort of reply.

If it's not fixed by the time I get a K-3 I'll be kicking up my own fuss too - the very least they should do is admit the problem and say when/if they'll be able to address it.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

mille19

Link Posted 05/02/2014 - 20:02
I'm just waiting for them to get in touch to tell me to upgrade to Firmware 1.02 , I think this problem could be around for a while.

fredd

Link Posted 15/02/2014 - 17:37
There's absolutely no bug and trouble with af off using rear af button when continous shooting and constant af ... Just put these setting to your camera :

- C3-16 : 2 or wathever you want ...
- C3-17 : 3 id ...

AND !

C4-25 : 1 - OFFFFF !!!

And it will work great

it seems logic ...

http://www.ricoh-imaging.fr/fr/Fred-BOEHLI.html
Last Edited by fredd on 15/02/2014 - 17:59

Helpful

fredd

Link Posted 15/02/2014 - 18:26
No need to be agressive with customers support ...
Last Edited by fredd on 15/02/2014 - 18:28

mille19

Link Posted 15/02/2014 - 18:30
fredd wrote:
There's absolutely no bug and trouble with af off using rear af button when continous shooting and constant af ... Just put these setting to your camera :

- C3-16 : 2 or wathever you want ...
- C3-17 : 3 id ...

AND !

C4-25 : 1 - OFFFFF !!!

And it will work great

it seems logic ...

http://www.ricoh-imaging.fr/fr/Fred-BOEHLI.html

Cheers that works. I'll just have to remember I have catch-in-focus turned off now.

I still think there is a bug though, on my K5 I always have catch-in-focus on and it doesn't effect the Cancel AF button/continuous shooting. I think the settings should be consistent across the range of cameras.

There again, does that me I can now use the catch-in-focus with my DA 100mm macro, on my K5 the catch-in-focus doesn't work with AF lenses even if you had AF turned off.

Damn just checked it and no catch-in-focus doesn't work with AF lens on K3, same as K5 so I think it shouldn't effect the effect the Cancel AF button/continuous shooting either.

I'll say it again settings should be consistent across the range of cameras.

mille19

Link Posted 15/02/2014 - 18:41
fredd wrote:
No need to be agressive with customers support ...

Agressive ?????

fredd

Link Posted 16/02/2014 - 23:37
mille19 : i wasn't talking about you ))))

"I still think there is a bug though, on my K5 I always have catch-in-focus on and it doesn't effect the Cancel AF button/continuous shooting" -> I agree with you but same time not ))

Very happy you can so work ... with c4-25 Off : rear af off with c4-25 On : Trap focusing )))

Best regards from Paris

fredd

Link Posted 16/02/2014 - 23:40
"There again, does that me I can now use the catch-in-focus with my DA 100mm macro, on my K5 the catch-in-focus doesn't work with AF lenses even if you had AF turned off"

I agree, on k5 it works with lenses that have a AF Off button or manuel lenses ...

On k3 i didn't check with others ... but i will !
Last Edited by fredd on 16/02/2014 - 23:40

JohnX

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 10:00
CIF issue. Look here;

link

Also, here for further information (includes link back to link above);

link

Never tried CIF, so no idea whether this will work, and in any event the first link is back to a 2010/K7 post, but...
Last Edited by JohnX on 17/02/2014 - 10:09

InFESTation

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 12:38
I never realised about CIF either, I use it alot with an autofocus lens, it was only after reading this tried it with just the lens and it wouldn't work right, it was after 1/2 hour mucking about I realise I usually use extension tubes, strangely enough played the game again
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.