Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K20ds Here

pete
Posted 06/02/2009 - 23:37 Link
shim
Posted 07/02/2009 - 11:39 Link
That's ebay and they've had 5 going through, which considering that they don't sell very many seems to be a lot of refurbs. I wonder why they were faulty in the 1st place.

shim
Mannesty
Posted 07/02/2009 - 11:41 Link
Maybe this is why SRS don't seem to get them any more.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
ttk
Posted 07/02/2009 - 11:49 Link
shim wrote:
That's ebay and they've had 5 going through, which considering that they don't sell very many seems to be a lot of refurbs. I wonder why they were faulty in the 1st place.

shim

Banding maybe
Tel,
loskeran
Posted 07/02/2009 - 12:21 Link
Mannesty wrote:
Maybe this is why SRS don't seem to get them any more.

I spoke to SRS on this subject the reply was "not up to our standard", so Pentax do it them selves but only with 6 months guarantee.
One of them just sold for £350 or there about.
iceblinker
Posted 07/02/2009 - 13:15 Link
shim wrote:
I wonder why they were faulty in the 1st place.

I've had two brand new K20Ds from SRS and both require at least a -10 AF adustment for precise auto focusing with nearly all my lenses. The first was returned and may end up as a refurb, hopefully after being recalibrated by Pentax.

The second: I've decided to see if I can live with. I'm not sure that -10 is quite enough adjustment, and I'm not happy that this amount of difference results in a noticeable discrepency between the sensor and my Katz Eye focusing screen.
~Pete
Chris@SRSWATFORD
Posted 07/02/2009 - 13:19 Link
I was told by my contact at Pentax that the cameras Pentax sell on Ebay are not Grade A.

I don't touch anything less than Grade A as they are often marked/scratched etc..

Chris
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook
GrahamNR17
Posted 07/02/2009 - 13:40 Link
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:
I was told by my contact at Pentax that the cameras Pentax sell on Ebay are not Grade A.

I don't touch anything less than Grade A as they are often marked/scratched etc..

Chris

That would explain the condition of the refurb K110D I bought from you. I was unable to find any signs of it ever having been out of a box, let alone used
polchraine
Posted 07/02/2009 - 14:39 Link

When I saw the title I was almost excited. I thought they may have sneaked out a new model, K20DS ! rather than pointing to several K20D cameras.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...
DOIK
Posted 07/02/2009 - 14:58 Link
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:

Chris

I totally agree, my recent K10d purchase was good as new.
Many thanks.....John
MDR
Posted 07/02/2009 - 17:25 Link
DOIK wrote:

I totally agree, my recent K10d purchase was good as new.
Many thanks.....John

Mine also - I will certainly be buying from SRS again
Edited by MDR: 07/02/2009 - 17:27
capabilities
Posted 07/02/2009 - 20:15 Link
iceblinker wrote:
shim wrote:
I wonder why they were faulty in the 1st place.

I've had two brand new K20Ds from SRS and both require at least a -10 AF adustment for precise auto focusing with nearly all my lenses. The first was returned and may end up as a refurb, hopefully after being recalibrated by Pentax.

The second: I've decided to see if I can live with. I'm not sure that -10 is quite enough adjustment, and I'm not happy that this amount of difference results in a noticeable discrepency between the sensor and my Katz Eye focusing screen.

capabilities
Posted 07/02/2009 - 20:30 Link
Sorrey I just made a mess up of the last two threads.
They shoud have read:
I have a K20 that may have a AF error that I must check out. I have read on this forum that it can be checked by using a focus chart. I could do with some advice on how to check it out, and what is the best chart to use.
ttk
Posted 07/02/2009 - 20:51 Link
capabilities wrote:
Sorrey I just made a mess up of the last two threads.
They shoud have read:
I have a K20 that may have a AF error that I must check out. I have read on this forum that it can be checked by using a focus chart. I could do with some advice on how to check it out, and what is the best chart to use.

Focus chart here. http://www.pentaxdslrs.com/newchart.pdf
Tel,
iceblinker
Posted 07/02/2009 - 20:54 Link
Using test charts at 45 degrees can be unreliable because the focus point may not be perfectly aligned.

Instead......

1. Focus on a contrasty flat part of subject that is directly in front of you, like part of a house. Use f4 or preferably f2.8.

2. Take a shot.

3. Set AF Adjustment in Custom menu to -5 (for either All lenses or One lens).

4. Take another shot, focusing on exactly the same part of the subject, using the same aperture and ISO setting.

5. Repeat with -10, +5 and +10 AF Adjustments.

6. Compare the pictures to each other and decide which is sharpest at the point where you focused.

7. Set the AF Adjustment to the setting that seems best.

8. Repeatedly test with other subjects at various distances with the AF Adjustment turned on and off to verify that the adjustment is helping.

9. Try other lenses with the Adjustment turned on and off.
~Pete
Edited by iceblinker: 07/02/2009 - 21:07

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.