K20D to K-R?
Posted 21/07/2011 - 22:26
Link
The K-r is a wonderful camera, click on the reviews tab and see our review.
Best regards, John
Posted 21/07/2011 - 22:29
Link
You are going to lose weather sealing, and the top screen. You will gain high ISO ability and performance, a lighter camera and better images. But, in effect, you are thinking of moving from what I guess is termed an "Enthusiast" DSLR {albeit an old one} to an entry level model, albeit one that has very good specs. If the weather sealing and the top screen don't matter, then it's probably a very good move. If they do, then a K5 would be a better choice, though much more expensive. And it's 40g lighter with the battery than your K20D, but nowhere near as light as the Kr.
Posted 21/07/2011 - 22:32
Link
Don't forget the smaller darker viewfinder
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 21/07/2011 - 22:36
Link
Pentax should bring out a mid of the road option I think. I understand that their market share might not really be able to sustain three models but there is a fairly big gap between the K-5 and the K-r.
Posted 21/07/2011 - 22:40
Link
vrapan wrote:
there is a fairly big gap between the K-5 and the K-r.
What about the K7?
there is a fairly big gap between the K-5 and the K-r.
Posted 21/07/2011 - 22:44
Link
Well it is not in between really it is just a k-5 with a worse sensor. Having said that I almost despise the crammed product lineups of other manufacturers. At least with Pentax things are clear, the K-5 is a serious step up to the K-r simple, however the K-r retains plenty of the main characteristics of the Pentax line up to be a very viable alternative.
Posted 21/07/2011 - 22:45
Link
johnriley wrote:
The K-r is a wonderful camera, click on the reviews tab and see our review.
I was initially going to ignore the kr as a lessor deal than the kx... but your review stuck in my mind, and a one day sale that had the kr priced the same as the kx clinched it for me... had to buy it.The K-r is a wonderful camera, click on the reviews tab and see our review.
must say it really is a great camera.
I cannot compare to the 20d, but to the k10. inside the studio... I prefer the k10. in bad weather conditions, the k10. Everywhere else, the kr.
Gerri loves the kr period, prefers it over the k10 all around.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 21/07/2011 - 23:19
Link
I had the K20D. Loved the camera, but as someone above stated "an enthusiasts camera"
I bought a KR and sold the K20D just about an even swap in Dollar terms.
Am really happy with the KR, Big LCD, good sharp pictures in any mode, quick to use (I dont have to consider all of the options as I did on the K20D each time I took it out of the bag. Video was what I was really after. My thoughts were that if I got the KR and was limited by anything, I could then later get the new "K3", when that comes out. So at first it was a transitional camera, but now I will stick with it in the forseeable future. Top LCD, who needs it. The info is there on the back LCD whenever you need it. Seems to be the way a lot of manufacturers are going anyway. Built in flash has a good amount of power.
I have only used the KR with pentax lenses though. Dont know how it would perform with other brands.
So far have had no problems with ff issues, or E-Dial problems. But on another forum, Pentax seems to have made some changes to models after
SN 400....
They call the KR entry level, maybe not as good as the K20D, but I believe surpasses all previous older Pentax DSLRs.
I bought a KR and sold the K20D just about an even swap in Dollar terms.
Am really happy with the KR, Big LCD, good sharp pictures in any mode, quick to use (I dont have to consider all of the options as I did on the K20D each time I took it out of the bag. Video was what I was really after. My thoughts were that if I got the KR and was limited by anything, I could then later get the new "K3", when that comes out. So at first it was a transitional camera, but now I will stick with it in the forseeable future. Top LCD, who needs it. The info is there on the back LCD whenever you need it. Seems to be the way a lot of manufacturers are going anyway. Built in flash has a good amount of power.
I have only used the KR with pentax lenses though. Dont know how it would perform with other brands.
So far have had no problems with ff issues, or E-Dial problems. But on another forum, Pentax seems to have made some changes to models after
SN 400....
They call the KR entry level, maybe not as good as the K20D, but I believe surpasses all previous older Pentax DSLRs.
Andrew
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
Posted 21/07/2011 - 23:24
Link
The Kr is no doubt a little gem of a camera but its not a top spec model and will not have two command dials, you need to handle one first and make sure you will be comfortable with it.
At my camera club just last night, I had the opportunity to handle both a Canon 350D and Nikon D90, my forefinger went straight for the front command dial, which obviously wasnt there, losing the front command dial will be like losing a limb
Having said all that it all depends on how you used the K20D
At my camera club just last night, I had the opportunity to handle both a Canon 350D and Nikon D90, my forefinger went straight for the front command dial, which obviously wasnt there, losing the front command dial will be like losing a limb
Having said all that it all depends on how you used the K20D
Posted 21/07/2011 - 23:32
Link
fatspider wrote:
Nikon D90, my forefinger went straight for the front command dial, which obviously wasnt there
Then it wasn't a D90
Nikon D90, my forefinger went straight for the front command dial, which obviously wasnt there
Posted 21/07/2011 - 23:45
Link
Sorry Stefan, I should have been clearer, it didnt do what it should have done (had it been a Pentax)
And incidently, it had a VR70-300 attached and the focus didnt seem any quicker than either my 16-50 or 50-135
And incidently, it had a VR70-300 attached and the focus didnt seem any quicker than either my 16-50 or 50-135
Posted 22/07/2011 - 00:10
Link
fatspider wrote:
Sorry Stefan, I should have been clearer, it didnt do what it should have done (had it been a Pentax)
And incidently, it had a VR70-300 attached and the focus didnt seem any quicker than either my 16-50 or 50-135
No, it did what the owner programmed it to do. Both my Nikons have the same wheel functions as my K7, as that's how I've set them. They are programmable.Sorry Stefan, I should have been clearer, it didnt do what it should have done (had it been a Pentax)
And incidently, it had a VR70-300 attached and the focus didnt seem any quicker than either my 16-50 or 50-135
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 22/07/2011 - 01:37
Link
Interesting about the two command dials. Having just got my Kr, I have only tried it out briefly and not in all situations. Will have to work out how to change apeture and shutter speed with one dial. Is it possible.
Andrew
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
Posted 22/07/2011 - 02:04
Link
surfseen wrote:
Interesting about the two command dials. Having just got my Kr, I have only tried it out briefly and not in all situations. Will have to work out how to change apeture and shutter speed with one dial. Is it possible.
it is ridiculously complicated...Interesting about the two command dials. Having just got my Kr, I have only tried it out briefly and not in all situations. Will have to work out how to change apeture and shutter speed with one dial. Is it possible.
choose Either av or tv, and the edial will switch the aperture or shutter, respectively.
choose m mode and the av button will switch the edial to whatever you choose....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



319 posts
16 years
Watford
Thanks
Lee