K20D to K-R?
Posted 22/07/2011 - 10:35
Link
The Pentax 50-135mm is of course more or less the equivalent of a full frame 70-200mm. Just as the 55mm f1.4 is equivalent to an 85mm f1.4 on full frame.
Best regards, John
Posted 22/07/2011 - 13:51
Link
Thanks for all the feedback, this is why this forum is so good. I am in no position to buy a K5 and K7 is out of my price range, I'm going to go to a shop later and hold a K-r and see how it feels, I love the K20D as a camera but to be honest it has so many features I do not use and I find myself wondering how many I will actually miss. Video will be a nice extra and of the live view is better than the K20D then that'll suit me.
Lee
Lee
Posted 22/07/2011 - 14:27
Link
Second hand K-7s are around the 400-450 mark I think still if you don't need the weather sealing and the second scroll go for the K-r.
Posted 22/07/2011 - 16:08
Link
johnriley wrote:
The K-r is a wonderful camera, click on the reviews tab and see our review.
Thanks John I read the review and went to my local currys to have a feel of the camera and it seems good to me, my last reservation is wether it will feel balanced with my Sigma 70-300mm APO lens.The K-r is a wonderful camera, click on the reviews tab and see our review.
Lee
Posted 22/07/2011 - 16:24
Link
My son's K20D is a lovely camera and he got it at a bargain cashback price at the time.
You can do pretty well everything with the KR I have. This enthusiast loves it and it's much more compact. The toggle between aperture and shutter speed is simple. I wouldn't swap!
K20d has a pentaprism rather than a dimmer pentamirror on KX's and KR's. Do pentaprisms really cost that much that we can't all have them?
You can do pretty well everything with the KR I have. This enthusiast loves it and it's much more compact. The toggle between aperture and shutter speed is simple. I wouldn't swap!
K20d has a pentaprism rather than a dimmer pentamirror on KX's and KR's. Do pentaprisms really cost that much that we can't all have them?
Posted 22/07/2011 - 16:29
Link
wvbarnes wrote:
My son's K20D is a lovely camera and he got it at a bargain cashback price at the time.
You can do pretty well everything with the KR I have. This enthusiast loves it and it's much more compact. The toggle between aperture and shutter speed is simple. I wouldn't swap!
K20d has a pentaprism rather than a dimmer pentamirror on KX's and KR's. Do pentaprisms really cost that much that we can't all have them?
yes optical glass is expensive. prisms need to be high quality. that is the basis of my belief that evf's will eventually replace prisms for the mass market....
My son's K20D is a lovely camera and he got it at a bargain cashback price at the time.
You can do pretty well everything with the KR I have. This enthusiast loves it and it's much more compact. The toggle between aperture and shutter speed is simple. I wouldn't swap!
K20d has a pentaprism rather than a dimmer pentamirror on KX's and KR's. Do pentaprisms really cost that much that we can't all have them?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 26/07/2011 - 23:07
Link
Did I really need video. Went to take some surfing photos on the weekend, with the KR. Thought, this is good I can now just switch to video. Did that, but couldnt see anything on the LCD screen, because of the glare. Thats a bit useless. Could have stayed with the K20D.
My wife suggested, like in the old days, I will have to wear a black hood over the camera and my head if I wanted to take surfing videos. Not a good look on the beach, hiding oneself under a hood. I wonder if Pentax has a accessory black hood with "pentax" emblazoned upon it.
Anybody have any suggestions?
My wife suggested, like in the old days, I will have to wear a black hood over the camera and my head if I wanted to take surfing videos. Not a good look on the beach, hiding oneself under a hood. I wonder if Pentax has a accessory black hood with "pentax" emblazoned upon it.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Andrew
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
Posted 26/07/2011 - 23:21
Link
I'd buy a video camera if I want video. Not convinced that DSLRs are there yet in far too many ways. IF you want video on a DSLR you are much better off with one of the SLTs from Sony.
Posted 27/07/2011 - 04:35
Link
Its like there is so much out there in cameras and design, you really need to try them out before you buy. Maybe should have kept my K20D.
Andrew
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
Posted 27/07/2011 - 06:28
Link
surfseen wrote:
Its like there is so much out there in cameras and design, you really need to try them out before you buy. Maybe should have kept my K20D.
If you spend serious time in a sand, windy or damp place, like a beach, then weather sealing would seem to be quite a useful thing to have.Its like there is so much out there in cameras and design, you really need to try them out before you buy. Maybe should have kept my K20D.
There's a quality about the K10/K20 which is reassuring as soon as you pick one up. Only the most expensive Nikons and Canons have this hard to define attribute. The final image is, of course, the most important thing, but it's not the only consideration.
I've not even seen a K5 yet, let alone held one!
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 27/07/2011 - 07:34
Link
Some other considerations when thinking about the KR over the K7/K5.
The KR cannot be gripped!cannot be used with the CS-205 remote! Doesn't have an infra-red sensor to the rear!No weathersealing!etc.........
If you want quality, in terms of build and IQ buy a K7/K5.
I went from KR to K7.
Regards
Chris
The KR cannot be gripped!cannot be used with the CS-205 remote! Doesn't have an infra-red sensor to the rear!No weathersealing!etc.........
If you want quality, in terms of build and IQ buy a K7/K5.
I went from KR to K7.
Regards
Chris
Posted 27/07/2011 - 07:51
Link
surfseen wrote:
Did I really need video. Went to take some surfing photos on the weekend, with the KR. Thought, this is good I can now just switch to video. Did that, but couldnt see anything on the LCD screen, because of the glare. Thats a bit useless. Could have stayed with the K20D.
My wife suggested, like in the old days, I will have to wear a black hood over the camera and my head if I wanted to take surfing videos. Not a good look on the beach, hiding oneself under a hood. I wonder if Pentax has a accessory black hood with "pentax" emblazoned upon it.
Anybody have any suggestions?
You can get lcd shades and even loupes which clip on to the lcd.
Did I really need video. Went to take some surfing photos on the weekend, with the KR. Thought, this is good I can now just switch to video. Did that, but couldnt see anything on the LCD screen, because of the glare. Thats a bit useless. Could have stayed with the K20D.
My wife suggested, like in the old days, I will have to wear a black hood over the camera and my head if I wanted to take surfing videos. Not a good look on the beach, hiding oneself under a hood. I wonder if Pentax has a accessory black hood with "pentax" emblazoned upon it.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Posted 27/07/2011 - 23:20
Link
Those loupes suitable for the Kr look the ticket, but they are quite expensive. Have gone for the cheaper option, a generic hood.
We will see how that goes. I would have preferred the LCD loupe as they seem to be a good method of helping to steady the camera as well, rather than holding it at arms length.
Anyone know where I could get a cheap loupe. Dont really need the magnification, just the shade.
We will see how that goes. I would have preferred the LCD loupe as they seem to be a good method of helping to steady the camera as well, rather than holding it at arms length.
Anyone know where I could get a cheap loupe. Dont really need the magnification, just the shade.
Andrew
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
Posted 28/07/2011 - 10:48
Link
Got a lcd loupe on E-Bay $25 NZ, for a canon 500D. Same size LCD, I believe.
Will let you know how it works, when it arrives.
Will let you know how it works, when it arrives.
Andrew
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


314 posts
15 years
Watford
Sorry Stefan, I should have been clearer, it didnt do what it should have done (had it been a Pentax)
And incidently, it had a VR70-300 attached and the focus didnt seem any quicker than either my 16-50 or 50-135