K20D Arrived - Woo

chrism_scotland
Posted 24/01/2011 - 15:49 Link
Well my K20D has arrived today from SRS, although due to having to order from different places I've got no lens to play with tonight
Although tommorrow I should be spoiled for choice with a 16-45, 35mm, 70-300 and flashgun all to play with!
SmutjeUK
Posted 24/01/2011 - 16:01 Link
I am sure you will enjoy it. Just make sure that you got a memory card as well as no mention of this has been made
Use the time till tomorrow to get someone to charge up the Battery as this can take quite some time and you got all night to charge it.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
chrism_scotland
Posted 24/01/2011 - 16:20 Link
Ordered a 4GB card with it and a spare battery but will add some more memory cards soon.
Mannesty
Posted 24/01/2011 - 16:28 Link
Well done, now . . .

Just about every question that you are likely to have, and you'll have plenty, has probably already been asked here, and answered.

The search facility on this site will probably provide all the answers you need. It's best used after having read the camera's instruction manual from cover to cover, . . . twice, and then referred to if you can't make something work.

A number of first steps:-

1: Check and update the firmware if necessary.
2: Do a factory default so that you start at the same place we all started before making any menu changes.
3: Read the manual again.
4: Now find the custom menu option #36 that allows the use of the aperture ring on manual lenses, and set it to "Permitted". That'll avoid one question later.
5: Set the focus point selector to 'Centre Point' (fully clockwise - extreme right most option) and for now, focus your images at the centre point, and re-compose the shot. You can play with the other settings later.
6: Don't use the 'Spot metering' option yet, unless you know how to use it properly. Instead, use either of the other two options for metering.
7: Before fitting a lens, adjust the dioptre setting correctly. Leave the body cap on if it's one of the translucent shipping caps and point the camera at a bright light source other than the sun. Adjust the dioptre setting so that the framing lines on the focussing screen are tack sharp.
8: Fit a lens, you're good to go. Enjoy your new friend.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 24/01/2011 - 16:35
Mike-P
Posted 24/01/2011 - 17:11 Link
He has had a few DSLR's already Peter, including a Pentax.
Edited by Mike-P: 24/01/2011 - 17:11
robbie_d
Posted 24/01/2011 - 17:11 Link
Mike-P wrote:
He has had a few DSLR's already Peter, including a Pentax.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Mannesty
Posted 24/01/2011 - 17:18 Link
Mike-P wrote:
He has had a few DSLR's already Peter, including a Pentax.
I know Mike, hence my suggestions

My post was intended as a damage limitation exercise (if you get my drift).
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Smeggypants
Posted 24/01/2011 - 17:54 Link
chrism_scotland wrote:
Well my K20D has arrived today from SRS, although due to having to order from different places I've got no lens to play with tonight
Although tommorrow I should be spoiled for choice with a 16-45, 35mm, 70-300 and flashgun all to play with!
Nice one Chris!!! Comment Image
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
reso
Posted 24/01/2011 - 21:30 Link
i have had my k20d for a few weeks now & enjoying it very much good choice hope you enjoy it as much a i do
phill
k5iis sigma 10-20 hsm tamron 17-50 pentax da 18-135 pentax A 50 f 1;1 7
pentax da*60-250 pentax da 55-300 sigma apo 150-500 hsm os pentax af1.7 adapter
Pentax af aw 1.4 rear converter and a flash
Oggy
Posted 24/01/2011 - 22:35 Link
I hope it gives you as much pleasure as mine has given me Chris.

(FYI, current firmware is 1.04.)
Posted 24/01/2011 - 23:11 Link
Enjoy your new purchase Chris. It is a fine camera, excells in the Studio.
Some Cameras
chrism_scotland
Posted 25/01/2011 - 09:28 Link
Flash Gun and 70-300 arrived at my work now, just waiting for my 35mm and 16-45, can't wait to have a play tonight!
chrism_scotland
Posted 25/01/2011 - 09:41 Link
I've picked up the Tamron that Dave had on the Classifieds, I'll see what I think, I got a bit of a bonus this week, work bonus on Friday and I got £100 off the airline for taking another flight so I might order the Pentax 55-300 off Park if I'm not impressed with the Tamron,
Blincodave
Posted 25/01/2011 - 12:27 Link
Chris,

I've sent you a PM on the Tamron 70-300 V Pentax debate 55-300!

Dave
chrism_scotland
Posted 25/01/2011 - 14:09 Link
All my kit has now arrived woo! Will report back this evening one I've had a play with it all!
And arranged to add a battery grip to it in a few days.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo