Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K20D + DA*300mm @ ISO 6400 - Does it cut the mustard?

Anvh
Posted 16/07/2009 - 16:25 Link
Tooks wrote:
I hope this is ok, but I took the three doll pictures and ran them through my full version of Noise Ninja at default settings, to see what they look like. Noise Ninja applies auto profiles to the pictures using standard settings for luminance and colour noise, and then applies a 60% unsharp mask filter to get some detail back.

I would say that I cannot decide between the K20d and A700, but if pushed I probably prefer the colour of the K20d, although it does look a little like it has a colour cast compared to the A700?

Interesting exercise...

Tooks here is the link I got them from link
It would interested to see what different noise reduction programs does.
I'm working with CS4 and have neat image and topaz denoise, care to do a little experiment.

On second thought it might be better to get the photos from imaging-resource they just look better exposed and some are in RAW

I suggest taken this one since they also got that one for the K7
Comment Image

This a K7 shot at iso 6400

here are the RAW files for anyone interested in seeing or trying.
K7 link
K20D link
D300 link
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
isdky
Posted 16/07/2009 - 16:30 Link
Quote:
800 pixels on the longest side is the biggest I can show from Picasa.

A little off topic but... with picasa - you can link to full resolution images and a number of resized options which are done live on the picasa servers upto - 1280 x 850:

Comment Image

along with full res images by removing part of the url:

link to full

I will only link to the full image as I'm not sure how large the jpg is!

Brian.
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." Terry Pratchett

Flickr Photostream
Anvh
Posted 16/07/2009 - 16:33 Link
Links not working Brian
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Tooks
Posted 16/07/2009 - 17:30 Link
Anvh wrote:
Tooks wrote:
I hope this is ok, but I took the three doll pictures and ran them through my full version of Noise Ninja at default settings, to see what they look like. Noise Ninja applies auto profiles to the pictures using standard settings for luminance and colour noise, and then applies a 60% unsharp mask filter to get some detail back.

I would say that I cannot decide between the K20d and A700, but if pushed I probably prefer the colour of the K20d, although it does look a little like it has a colour cast compared to the A700?

Interesting exercise...

Tooks here is the link I got them from link
It would interested to see what different noise reduction programs does.
I'm working with CS4 and have neat image and topaz denoise, care to do a little experiment.

On second thought it might be better to get the photos from imaging-resource they just look better exposed and some are in RAW

I suggest taken this one since they also got that one for the K7

here are the RAW files for anyone interested in seeing or trying.
K7 link
K20D link
D300 link

Ok, I have downloaded the RAW files from the links above, opened them in Adobe Camera Raw via CS3, and then processed them using default settings as before in Noise Ninja...

I've shown them here at 800 pixels wide, but there is a link to a 1920 pixel wide version underneath each picture(should be big enough for most people?).

K7

Comment Image

K7 Large link

K20d

Comment Image

K20d Large link

D300

Comment Image

D300 Large link

Again, at 800 pixels, you'd very likely be happy with any of them, but I do think that the K7 and D300 have retained more detail and overall the picture looks better, but then they should do really.

Looking at the full size ones, again not much to choose between the K7 and D300 depending on where you look, although I am seeing more detail, but also more noise, on the D300 picture.

It's up to you which you prefer, so you can draw your own conclusions I think!
Edited by Tooks: 16/07/2009 - 17:37
Anvh
Posted 16/07/2009 - 18:53 Link
Thank you Tooks, it looks very good and there is so good as totally nothing setting them apart except the colours with the small photos, still need to check the big version.

I'm installing the new Neat Image software now, hopefully it works.

I must say that the d300 is really sharp though.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 16/07/2009 - 18:55

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.