K10D failure with pop-up flash

SPB

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 09:21
Well today, I have had to hand my K10D to my Pentax dealer after 8 months, the camera is dead as soon as the pop-up flash is enabled, the screen is OK, the viewfinder display, auto-focus everything seems normal, but try and take a picture - NOTHING. Put the pop-up flash back down and out of use, no problem - pictures as usual.

They have loaned me their K100D, and say it may take up to 3 weeks.

As I am trying to teach myself lighting using my 2 Pentax flashes, lightstands and brollies, I am not so happy this morning.

My serial number starts with 245, I had heard that others on another forum had this exact failure, but the serial numbers quoted were all starting 22 .....

Someone in the shop suggested the problem revolves around a condenser or something .....

johnriley

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 09:51
How about using an IR trigger (it fits in the hotshoe) to fire the external flashes?
Best regards, John

SPB

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 09:55
How much do those little things cost? Up to now I have been more than happy using the pop-up flash and the other wireless, works so well. Do you have a model number or name for such .....

I see a Kenro/Interfit IR Flash Trigger for 40 quid, but whether that is OK, I don't know.

johnriley

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 09:57
I use the Interfit Studio Flash Transmitter which does the job with no problems.

Cost was probably about £35, but it is a while ago so you'll need to check the current going rate.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John

SPB

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 10:08
John,

Thanks it helps. It just seems a bit ... well another bit of kit that needs batteries ... and I can trigger from the camera pop-up flash, if it works!

I guess if I was doing a lot of such work, I would just get the trigger, but because I am not, it seems like not worth the extra money. Something to think about though, so it ain't wasted information, thanks.

gartmore

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 10:36
Using the pop up flash is surely going to have an effect, probably undesirable, on what you are trying to achieve with the oher heads. As John says IR is good but so is wireless and you can pick up a set for as little as £15 on ebay.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

SPB

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 11:45
gartmore wrote:
Using the pop up flash is surely going to have an effect, probably undesirable, on what you are trying to achieve with the oher heads. As John says IR is good but so is wireless and you can pick up a set for as little as £15 on ebay.

OK I have my two 360FGZ's running in Wireless mode. What set do I need to do what you said, because £15 on ebay sounds not bad, what does that give me?

gartmore

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 12:12
I didn't know you were using Pentax heads with wireless capability. The piece of kit I'm referring to adds wireless capabilty to any flash set up. A little transmitter goes onto the hotshoe and the receiver plugs into the flasg head this is the one I have:

Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

SPB

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 12:22
Interesting setup Gartmore.

I prefer to use my two flash heads, wirelessly - one of the big benefits is no wires for accident-prone guys like me to trip up over. Up to now, I triggered it by the pop-up flash, quite often putting some white paper in front of the pop-up and this triggers the other two just fine.

However, I now have no K10D for approx. 3 weeks because the pop-up flash does not work and when flipped up, the whole camera does not function. Not what I expected from such an expensive piece of kit 8 months into ownership.

So now, I was trying to work out how else to trigger the two external flashes wirelessly without spending more money than I have to.

gartmore

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 12:37
I think with your setup you would need a pc to hotshoe adapter to connect the Rx to the flashgun. Not shown in the picture is the fact that both Tx and Rx can connect via standard flash pc cables.
Ken

McBrian

Link Posted 12/01/2008 - 22:08
Hi SPB

Have a look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Slave-Remote-Hot-Shoe-Flash-Trigger-PT-04-T1E_W0QQitemZ200190384339QQihZ010QQcategoryZ64354QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem not a bad backup for £18 including postage

I would have these but I already have cold shoe/brolly mounts that fit on my stands, I use their 8chl and 3 recievers (same as Gartmore), works great but its an all manual setup.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

SPB

Link Posted 13/01/2008 - 06:25
McBrian,

Thanks, interesting link. Attached to my Light Stand is the Lastolite Tilthead with Flash Shoe and of course an umbrella and one of the Pentax 360 FGZ guns in wireless mode. I intend to get hold of another umbrella and stand and then I have the two identical stand/light/umbrella.

I am not 100% sure that I need what you suggest. The two flashguns are already set up and waiting for wireless signals to go to work and flash. The K10D is set up to use Wireless flash, so when the pop-up is working that is all I need. In the case when it it is not working or one does not want to use it - that's the interesting part. What you showed me is a transmitter which fits on the camera hot shoe. I understand that. So the camera now accepts that as the flash transmitter, surely the receiver unit/s are redundant if the 2 Pentax guns are switched on in wireless mode?

Do I miss something here? Why do I need to put the guns each onto a receiver?

Are you saying that with the transmitter and 2 receivers, one for each gun, I would not need wireless flash enabled on the camera and flash units and that it would work in slave mode then?

McBrian

Link Posted 13/01/2008 - 07:06
SPB wrote:
McBrian,
Are you saying that with the transmitter and 2 receivers, one for each gun, I would not need wireless flash enabled on the camera and flash units and that it would work in slave mode then?

Forgive me if I get this all wrong, still early and I've only had three cups of coffee

Wireless flash with the K10D is not wireless as such, it can be described as optical wireless, in other words the remote guns (your 360's) HAVE to see the flash from the popup, works fine if you have 360's, 540's (or equivelent Sigma, Metz), but I still think the popup contributes some unwanted light to the shot, especially in a confined enviroment (small studio, livingroom etc).

The answer to your question is YES, but you have to set the guns to manual mode, not a lot of money to try it, you will only need one reciever to give it a go if you set the other gun as a dumb slave (you still get the output power option) and you can use any shoe mounted flash gun that you can lay your hands on

Hope this helps, if I've got it wrong I'm sure Matt or A N Other will correct me
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

SPB

Link Posted 13/01/2008 - 07:15
Thanks. I am getting there. So it seems with a Transmitter and Receivers, one must set the whole lot camera, flashes on manual. I actually use manual on the camera a lot more than any other mode apart from AV, so the next time my pop-up flash goes crap on me, what you describe is certainly an option. I did read however somewhere that not all Transmitters/Receivers work with all cameras.

ChrisA

Link Posted 13/01/2008 - 10:18
McBrian wrote:
Wireless flash with the K10D is not wireless as such, it can be described as optical wireless, in other words the remote guns (your 360's) HAVE to see the flash from the popup, works fine if you have 360's, 540's (or equivelent Sigma, Metz), but I still think the popup contributes some unwanted light to the shot, especially in a confined enviroment (small studio, livingroom etc).

There's a setting in the custom menu for the K10D that lets you specify whether the built-in flash should be master or controller in wireless mode.

If it's the controller, I believe it does not contribute to the exposure.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.