K10d af not working

webba

Link Posted 14/11/2012 - 11:41
Hi I have a K10d and the auto focus has stopped working , when I say stopped working I mean there is no auto focus at all ,this happened once before and i sent it back to SRS under warranty ,the told me that they flashed the firmware to repair it I used the camera a handful of times and the exact same problem returned unfortunately I am out of warranty now and SRS are saying I must pay for a repair can anybody help me sort this out ? Please

johnriley

Link Posted 14/11/2012 - 11:47
The K10D is way, way out of warranty by now, so why not return it directly to JPS for a quotation?

You'll find the address on the Pentax UK website: http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/service-centre.html
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 14/11/2012 - 11:47

webba

Link Posted 14/11/2012 - 12:08
I know that my camera is "way,way out of warranty" thatís why I said "I am out of warranty now" lol ,but thanks for your response

I was hoping somebody would have had the same problem and knew a fix SRS said at the time they simply upgraded the firmware, but as far as i am aware it came back with the same firmware version as when it went to them. i have read about solving AF problems using debug mode but they were concerning AF not focusing properly ,I wondered if anybody had an idea for a DIY fix?
Last Edited by webba on 14/11/2012 - 12:23

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 14/11/2012 - 14:18
You could try loading the firmware again?
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.

webba

Link Posted 14/11/2012 - 18:36
Sorted now thanks got the help needed from http://www.pentaxforums.com

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 14/11/2012 - 19:18
How?

webba

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 09:12
Yesterday, 02:06 PM #2
ismaelg
Site Supporter

First step is to make sure the contacts are clean. Carefully clean the contacts in the body mount (and in the lens as well to make sure). You can use an eraser or a very fine grit sandpaper GENTLY. Check to see if any of the contacts look damaged or different.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Yesterday, 02:27 PM #3
JimJohnson
Site Supporter

In addition to cleaning the contact points, make sure all the screws for your body's mounting flange are snug. When mounting a lens, hold in the release button, turn the lens all the way into the mount, release the lens release button and turn the lens backwards in the mount until the lock clicks. If you still do not have full lens functioning, try slowly rocking the lens slightly clockwise / counter-clockwise and watch to see if you get a connection.

webba

Original Poster

Well I combined the advice given by both ismaelg and Jim Johnson and it worked I honestly cant say which as I did them both at the same time. but I would like to thank both of you

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 12:21
Cheers Webba. It just completes the thread and if anyone else is in the same boat and search's then hopefully your experiance will help out

wasleys

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 14:39
webba wrote:
Carefully clean the contacts in the body mount (and in the lens as well to make sure). You can use an eraser or a very fine grit sandpaper GENTLY.

Any thoughts on best way to clean contacts?

I don't think I would take sandpaper of any gauge anywhere near my K10.

I had seen about using erasers (apparently Canon used to recommend this approach but don't now) but also a lot of warnings about using them.

What most seemed to recommend was isopropyl alcohol on a barely damp microfibre cloth or cotton bud.

johnriley

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 14:41
A clean dry cloth should be all that's necessary, to remove any contamination. Slightly damp if needed, but no more than that.
Best regards, John

Frogherder

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 15:12
I would be cautious of anything coarser than typing/photocopy paper. Any dust, however fine, that you make will make a beeline for the sensor.

Then you have a second problem

regards
Bernard

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 15:34
I normally use a lens cloth, dabbed on my tongue if I need a bit more cleaning power.

ChrisR

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 19:33
Please be warned, what ever else you do, never ever use sand paper on electrical contacts, be it on your camera or any other item/appliance.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Father Ted

Link Posted 16/11/2012 - 12:26
ChrisR wrote:
Please be warned, what ever else you do, never ever use sand paper on electrical contacts, be it on your camera or any other item/appliance.

Take care.

What he said!
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

jeffstclair

Link Posted 16/11/2012 - 15:57
What they both said , sand paper is for sanding wood ,,,jeff... lens contacts clean with a lenscloth
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.