K10D & Telephoto

alfiemooon

Link Posted 15/09/2009 - 13:50
Newbie to the Forum and fairly new to proper photography.

After purchasing a K10D & Tamron AF 70-300 last year,primarily for Airshows,I was like a kid with a new toy....on one occasion I even had some bloke with a monster of a lens on his camera (similar in size to the sort of thing you see at an F1 track) ask me how I was getting on with it because he`d read good reviews.

I still haven`t gotten round to reading the user manual as the auto setting & the Tamron produce,as far as I`m concerned,some great pics at RIAT 09...so...

1)Do I look at buying a telephoto lens? (I`ve looked at ebay but very sceptical) when I get to grips with aperature settings and shutter speed?.
2)Is there any adapter which will allow me to attach my K10D to my Tasca luminova 40-114675 telescope?.
K10D,K20D
Pentax 18-55,Tamron AF 70-300,Sigma 150-500
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ

El Dingo

Link Posted 17/09/2009 - 13:49
Regarding item 2, this might help:
link
I don't know your particular telescope, but you can probably use a t-mount like the one I have shown on my Celestron.

Regarding item 1, I have the a Tamron 70-300 macro lens (possibly the same type as yours), and get great results from it (IMHO of course ). One practical downside I found is the fact the front element rotates and that's a nuisance when using a circular polarising filter.
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D
Last Edited by El Dingo on 17/09/2009 - 13:54

Helpful

alfiemooon

Link Posted 17/09/2009 - 19:11
Thanks for the link Buddy,I`ve dropped an E mail to the States so I`ll see what happens.I`ve got some great (IMHO) images of the Moon using the Tamron but it would be nice to capture The Rings of Saturn and the like.

Circular Polarising Filters??...hey,don`t get too technical...ha ha ha...I haven`t taken my K10D off Auto yet!!.

Nic
K10D,K20D
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ
Last Edited by alfiemooon on 17/09/2009 - 19:12

alfiemooon

Link Posted 18/09/2009 - 21:39
Would you credit it,dropped an E mail to http://www.telescopeadapters.com/
last night and an E Mail was waiting for me when I got home from work,let`s see how things go from here.

Nic
K10D,K20D
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ

El Dingo

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 13:41
I've been trying to photograph Jupiter, which is currently at opposition. Sadly, the Celestron (at 1,000 mm) simply isn't big enough to get a decent image with a single exposure, and my telepscope doesn't have a drive, so I can't take multiple exposures, even at high ISO.

I believe your Tasco is 900 mm focal length, and has a drive, so you should be able to get some good pictures.

With the eyepiece in last night I could clearly make out three of the moons - the weekend before last I could see four. The Jovian atmosphere bands are quite visible even with this small telescope, but not quite enough to make out the great red spot.

alfiemooon

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 18:32
Funny you should pop up with your comment Top Man as I went "Camera Shop" hunting today in Sth Glos.
I asked about adaptors and rings and things to attach a dSLR to my Tasco and from what the bloke was saying,you use the camera and the telescope without the eyepiece lens.I can`t get my head around this as surely the eyepiece lens focuses on the mirror and by changing the eyepiece lens,you change the magnification,no more,no less...so..as the camera adapor is a tube and ring,what in "heaven`s name" do you focus with?.
This chappie also said that you only need a telescope with a drive if you are looking for stars not planets...mind you,at 675x mag,the moon as a darn good shift on....he also didn`t think much of Tasco,probably because they don`t sell them.
Me thinks I`m gunna have to see how well my ISA has done in April next year...OH HECK!,just remembered,Renault got a big fine yesterday...ha ha

Nic
K10D,K20D
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ

El Dingo

Link Posted 22/09/2009 - 22:43
Think of the telescope (with SLR adaptor) as a large prime SLR lens, with manual focus and shutter operation (and no aperture control). You focus the system using the telescope focus adjuster, just the same as if you had an eyepiece in, and check for focus through the camera viewfinder.

Recommended: Turn off Shake Reduction, use a remote control and use a 2 sec. delay after mirror up (to avoid shake/vibration caused by the mirror actuation). Don't forget to set white balance.

My first telescope was a Tasco 2 1/2" refractor - good 'scope.

Having a drive would allow me to take bracketed exposures, which is essential IMHO for planets. If you take a single exposure then yes - I can see vague detail on Jupiter at 1,000 mm, F11, ISO 100 at 1/60th second, which doesn't need a drive, but then the moons are not visible any more.

The moon is great to photograph through the 'scope, but difficult in my experience to get *really* sharp (maybe that's my telescope as much as anything).

I'm lusting after a Celstron 4 m telescope with drive (with a 14 " objective lens) - only 6,500.00!

alfiemooon

Link Posted 23/09/2009 - 00:29
God!,I wish I had paid more attention during my O Level Physics lessons, I see what you`re saying but I can`t get my head round how you get a magnification because surely ain`t that what the eyepiece lens does?..gunna have to spend some time on this one I feel...where`s my Nuffield text book?
Understand the bit about turning off the Shake Reduction,that bit I did read in the manual white balance?,steady on old chap,one thing at a time,please
The chappie in Acecameras in Yate gave me the impression that Tasco were as much use as a chocolate tea pot so I`m not sure whether to ditch it and reinvest,depending on how much money NIG have got left after monday.
I`m between a rock and a hard place now as I was thinking of getting a 500+m lens for my K10D,what with local airshows and living near an aerodrome (IATA: FZO, ICAO: EGTG)and then there`s always that one photo that you want but can never get with the lens you`ve got....mind you,IMHO I have got a few nice photos of the moon with my Tamron
A 4m telescope?...don`t forget the dome to house it
In closing,you might wanna take a look here.. www.seben.com

Nic
K10D,K20D
Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7
AF 360 FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.