K-x TIPA awards

KZ

Link Posted 25/04/2010 - 20:19
http://www.pentax.co.uk/dcms_index.php?id=1725&lang=en&news=1292

http://www.tipa.com/english/award-details.php?iId=1768&sAward=Best+DSLR+Entry+Le...

Or is it a well known old story and I am the only one who did not know?
Last Edited by KZ on 25/04/2010 - 20:34

Mike-P

Link Posted 25/04/2010 - 20:38
My local camera shop told me when I popped in to look at a used lens. I asked how the K-x was selling and he said ok but having AA batteries put a lot of people off and once buyers realised they often went for another brand.
. My Flickr

smc

Link Posted 25/04/2010 - 22:44
I would have thought AA's would be an advantage?

Anvh

Link Posted 25/04/2010 - 22:58
smc wrote:
I would have thought AA's would be an advantage?

The only advantage it has is that you can easily buy new ones if the batteries are out of energy but it doesn't have any disadvantage I know off though...

Btw. why don't Pentax (Hoya) put eneloop rechargeable batteries with the K-X?
Eneloop is from Hoya right so when the customer discover how good they are they often stick with the brand so most likely buy a set extra.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

pentaxian450

Link Posted 25/04/2010 - 23:00
Eneloop is from Sanyo, IIRC.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Anvh

Link Posted 25/04/2010 - 23:21
pentaxian450 wrote:
Eneloop is from Sanyo, IIRC.

You are right, stupid me
It falls under Panasonic it seems.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 25/04/2010 - 23:21

johnriley

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 00:28
Quote:
The only advantage it has is that you can easily buy new ones if the batteries are out of energy but it doesn't have any disadvantage I know off though...

The main disadvantage of AA batteries is changing them under pressure in the field. It's relatively fiddly making sure the polarity is OK, whereas a Li-Ion pack just clips straight into place.
Best regards, John

Anvh

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 00:43
Good point, didn't thought about that one.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

edumad

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 01:55
The notion for many people is that regular batteries are much better performers than AA, rechargeable or not. Also rechargeable used to been cunbersome, while long recharging times.
TWAPSI Blog

flossie

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 09:25
When I bought my K-x, the shop threw in a set of Eneloops for free without even being asked - which was nice!

On the flip side, it took them about 4 sets of their display AA batteries to get it working for a demo (probably because all were flat!) - some people might have thought the camera was faulty seeing that and said "hmmm...show me the Nikon then..."

The "average" consumers isn't that fussed about being able to change their batteries in the field - it hasn't really harmed Apple's sales to have fixed, hidden, batteries in iPod's/Phones. But... DSLR's aren't really for the "average" consumer anymore...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

dangie

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 10:13
The K-x is an excellent camera, fully deserving of any genuine award it gets. Unfortunately I don't think the TIPA awards are worth the paper they're written on. They have more winners than I've had hot dinners, and at my age that's quite a few! It seems as though they pick a bit of photographic equipment and invent a category for it. Also how could Photoshop CS5 win the award for best Photo Software when at the time of judging it wasn't yet available. Link to award winners below.
http://www.tipa.com/english/XX_tipa_awards_2010.php?iExpand1=59
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner

robbie_d

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 10:37
AA battery power was one of the reasons I chose a K-m over the other entry-level cameras when I took the plunge into DSLR photography.

You can buy them virtually anywhere (biggest advantage, outweighs any negative IMHO).
Additonal sets don't cost a fortune (the way genuine Pentax Li-Ion replacements can).
Chargers cost very little.
AA batteries power your flash too, so you can make savings buying bulk.
Eneloop technology has cracked the self-discharge problem.

I take John's point on changing batteries in the field, but once you've done it a couple of times it's a piece of cake.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 12:09
I have to say I'm happy with my AAs - still using the original set of Energizer Lithiums and have sets of Hybrios ready for use when necessary.

I was concerned as to whether date etc would be retained when batteries were out as our Fuji was a pain that way - change the batteries and you had to fiddle round and change the date setting immediately . The manual said it was retained - but it wasn't no matter how fast you changed the batteries .

I've had the batteries out of the K-x overnight and date seems to have been saved
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Mike-P

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 12:43
Don't shoot the messenger .. I'm only repeating what the shop owner told me
. My Flickr

i-Berg

Link Posted 26/04/2010 - 12:51
technoidiot wrote:
I have to say I'm happy with my AAs - still using the original set of Energizer Lithiums

TI - how many shots is your Kx up to with those batteries? I'm on the originals (same sort), sitting on about 550, going strong but with minimal flash use.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.