K Series vs Ltd.

robbiec
Posted 04/06/2013 - 00:08 Link
Cool. Needle and thread applied to results? What does that mean
darkskies
Posted 04/06/2013 - 08:22 Link
robbiec wrote:
Cool. Needle and thread applied to results? What does that mean
Stitched.
This space deliberately left blank.
womble
Posted 04/06/2013 - 18:57 Link
The K30 isn't common and commands a good price. One day I'll snag one. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Northgrain
Posted 04/06/2013 - 21:53 Link
I prefer the first image - on the basis of the colours, contrast and definition.

I had an inkling from the intro this might be from the K30.. and very impressive it is too given how much I love my 15Ltd!

I guess needle and thread means stitching images together for the K30... but did you apply any other tweaks DrO?
Smeggypants
Posted 04/06/2013 - 22:46 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
The first was taken with the K30 f2.8 (well done Bjørn) and a needle and thread applied to the results. The second the DA15 (at f16). Can't tell you what the aperture was on the K.

You said in the OP that the modern lens was wider, so I thought the 1ist was the DA15 ( had bot EXIFs open at the time )
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
johnwhit
Posted 05/06/2013 - 13:53 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
The first was taken with the K30 f2.8 (well done Bjørn) and a needle and thread applied to the results. The second the DA15 (at f16). Can't tell you what the aperture was on the K.

The DA 15mm runs into difraction at f/11, better to stick with f/5.6-f/8 if possible, from the comments I would imagine the K was used around it's optimum aperture. Hardly a fair test IMHO.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Edited by johnwhit: 05/06/2013 - 13:54
rparmar
Posted 05/06/2013 - 14:53 Link
All I can tell is that it's a nice location for pictures.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
DrOrloff
Posted 05/06/2013 - 21:02 Link
It was never intended to be a fair test. 30mm vs 15mm isn't fair anyway. I only went for f16 on the 15 in order to get streaks on the water in the foreground, which was the intended shot with the 15:

Comment Image


Nevertheless, I find it an interesting comparison, I'd not even heard about the K30 until I bought it on impulse. Legacy lenses were one reason that attracted me to Pentax in the first place and it's nice to discover these hidden gems, who can hold their own after all these years. The K30 more than holds it own.

The images are tweaked, but more or less equally so.

Plus even my fiercest critic quite likes the image so I thought I'd show it. Good point Robin, it's a really nice stretch of river that I shall be exploring further.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo