K-r - worth the extra over K-x?

Dangermouse

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 14:47
I'm giving serious thought to a body upgrade (no, not mine, the camera!)

I think I'll be able to afford a K-x and quite fancy one of the beige ones (forget "boring beige" associations, it reminds me of the rare "safari" version of the Auto 110), although I don't really want another 18-55mm.

I've also been looking at the K-r though as I might just stretch funds that far. Only thing is I can't see why it's better? They're both 12mp and feature video mode, the K-r is presumably better again at high ISO noise reduction (that and the video mode are the main attractions for me of the K-x over my existing K-m). I just can't decide whether it's worth the extra 130 or so over the K-x.

I've also read a few reports here about K-rs sporting sensor marks on delivery?

It will be a month or so before I can buy, hopefully there will still be beige or red K-xs from reputable dealers for around the 360 mark by then.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Blythman

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 14:55
I'd have bought it Matt, though I've got the k-x now and more than happy to stick with it.

I think it has, better high ISO performance, visible autofocus points, faster autofocus, better liveview, a choice of lithium or AA (with optional adaptor). Its now 489 with the 18-55 lens with 70 cashback to deduct from that.

You know you want to
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by Blythman on 11/01/2011 - 14:56

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 15:03
The screen is (higher res, sharper) and you get the red dots in the VF.. faster frame rate and AF too. Not sure if it's actually better at high ISO. Very tough call! I think colour suits the K-x better, though, and I fancied one in olive or beige for a slightly military look!

...oh with the Kr you get proper in-camera HDR too... self aligning.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 11/01/2011 - 15:04

Dangermouse

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 15:27
The other thing I considered: Will the K-r work with Power Zoom? I know the K-7 will as Dad took great delight in playing with that and the PZ 28-80mm I lent him to go with his kit lenses. I suspect it might but would want a confirmed report. I realise this is a slightly odd thing to consider but I'd quite like to know.

The K-r uses a rechargeable battery rather than AAs. My K-m won't power the old Power Zoom lenses (they just work like any other FA zoom on mine), I suspect this is due to Pentax not being convinced that the AAs would be able to handle the demands of the zoom motor while still operating the camera stably and reliably. I do know the K-m gets pretty impressive battery life from quality AAs, presumably due to the lack of live view.

Unfortunately the Pentax cashback will have expired by the time I have the funds for whichever I pick!

Is there anything about sensor marks on the K-r or was that just a rogue batch of K-5s?
Matt

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 15:40
I only saw a couple of reports but they seemed very minor in comparison.

How does the K7 operate the power zoom? Is the zoom button on the lens itself or is one of the buttons on the body used?
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 11/01/2011 - 15:42

Dangermouse

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 16:08
The zoom ring operates it after you click it to reveal the "Power Zoom" lettering. You don't get the trick features the Z series offered, only powered zoom and the lens retracting to its shortest length with the power off. It's a nice party trick though!

Looking around it seems that the K-r probably doesn't support Power Zoom either, in fact it looks distinctly like the next generation K-x when you look at the back panel and a few other areas. I may well go for the K-x anyway as 130 or so is not a small leap.
Matt

stub

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 16:33
I have recently purchased the K-X in the last six months.. Im very pleased with it. Though I would have to say if I was buying now it would be the K-r.. You will carry far less battery sets aroundon a days shooting.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Dangermouse

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 20:43
Another question for the K-x owners - I've just been looking around Youtube and it seems to be a lot better at video than "Flip"-type camcorders. Can it shoot video with older lenses? If so, how? Do you set aperture on the lens after which the camera will vary the ISO to keep the exposure right?

Just thinking some of my older glass would make for very nice videos...
Matt

Blythman

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 20:45
Can't help there I'm afraid Matt. Haven't even tested video since I bought it in August
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Dangermouse

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 21:28
Maybe, but 130 is a fair bit of extra cash to find! I will wait and see whether I can do so.

If I do go for the K-r it will probably be red. I like the way the multicoloured ones wind up the "Serious Photographer" types!
Matt

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 21:57
Confusing choice of avatar there... I was just thinking 'I'm sure I had this conversation with Matt, not DANNY (Unlocker)...'

stub

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 23:01
Just tried it out quickly on my K-x with 50mm 1.7M lens. Video works fine. You are correct in saying you set an aperture and the iso controls light changes. Though manual focus dont work to well if panning various shots..

Stuart..

geordie01

Link Posted 11/01/2011 - 23:17
stub wrote:
I have recently purchased the K-X in the last six months.. Im very pleased with it. Though I would have to say if I was buying now it would be the K-r.. You will carry far less battery sets aroundon a days shooting.

got a k-r and it is a good piece of kit but mine is eating batteries for fun i and have eneloops and 2500mhah camlinks and other good quality batteries including the supplied rechargeable li-on and up to now am disapointed with the life of them all and i do not use live view.

stub

Link Posted 12/01/2011 - 00:24
Maybe im mistaken. I thought the battery problem was solved on the K-r.

Stuart..

philstaff

Link Posted 12/01/2011 - 15:01
geordie01 wrote:
stub wrote:

got a k-r and it is a good piece of kit but mine is eating batteries for fun i and have eneloops and 2500mhah camlinks and other good quality batteries including the supplied rechargeable li-on and up to now am disapointed with the life of them all and i do not use live view.

I have the Kr and the battery life seems good to me.
Ian
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.