K-7 Vs D90 Vs 550D

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 25/08/2010 - 11:46
Quote:
At least you got a flurry of new Pentax using members.

Yes they say there's no such thing as bad publicity. I'd tend to disagree

The trouble these days with camera reviews is that you have to not only have read the instruction manual inside out, but know the camera inside out too, and that's every nook and crannie. Camera reviewers get cameras for a short space of time and have to compare all aspects thoroughly. The Canon and Nikon have already gone back so we need to get them back again. And to be credible the test needs to meet the expectations of the existing users who may have had the cameras for months, as well as be sure that every set-up is accurately done. It's quite a challenge to do something as thorough as what was intended in the space of time given to do it.

I'm not sticking up for the reviewer - shooting in centre weighted on one and pattern metering on another is unforgivable, but just highlighting something for you to think about, and if you feel you could do better (well not better, that would be easy - as good as you'd expect to read yourself), then please speak up. We need accurate testers. We're currently advertising for a technical editor and they're proving not easy to find.
Last Edited by Peter Bargh on 25/08/2010 - 12:02

robbie_d

Link Posted 25/08/2010 - 11:56
Peter Bargh wrote:
Yes sorry about that review guys. It was done by a freelance contributor and wasn't checked thoroughly by the team when they put it up as we assumed the freelancer was accurate in his test procedure. It was deeply flawed and will be redone in due course.
Rest assured ePHOTOzine has no bias and it's always been our intention that the best camera wins.

Tell me, was it Ken Rockwell?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 25/08/2010 - 11:56

dougf8

Link Posted 25/08/2010 - 12:08
Peter, I'd best be careful what I say. Whilst I probably have many of the skills, I don't think I could sustain the rainbow of skills to the depth required. I'm sure there are some suitable individuals on here who have pricked up their ears though.

You've acted decisively and I take this very positively.
Lurking is shirking.!

Mike-P

Link Posted 25/08/2010 - 12:55
I saw the review just as I was leaving for work and thought no ISO 100?, K-7 raw buffer choking at 4 shots?, IQ nowhere near as good as the other two?

I honestly thought I had a different camera .. I have been at work all morning thinking to myself what I would write in my comment on the site when I got back ..

Actually, in that respect it's probably a good thing the review was pulled

Edit: It would be nice if the review was done using Raw files rather than Jpeg as I suspect most users of a camera in this class would mostly use raw.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 25/08/2010 - 13:01

Don

Link Posted 25/08/2010 - 16:25
Peter Bargh wrote:
Quote:
At least you got a flurry of new Pentax using members.

Yes they say there's no such thing as bad publicity. I'd tend to disagree

The trouble these days with camera reviews is that you have to not only have read the instruction manual inside out, but know the camera inside out too, and that's every nook and crannie. Camera reviewers get cameras for a short space of time and have to compare all aspects thoroughly. The Canon and Nikon have already gone back so we need to get them back again. And to be credible the test needs to meet the expectations of the existing users who may have had the cameras for months, as well as be sure that every set-up is accurately done. It's quite a challenge to do something as thorough as what was intended in the space of time given to do it.

I'm not sticking up for the reviewer - shooting in centre weighted on one and pattern metering on another is unforgivable, but just highlighting something for you to think about, and if you feel you could do better (well not better, that would be easy - as good as you'd expect to read yourself), then please speak up. We need accurate testers. We're currently advertising for a technical editor and they're proving not easy to find.

as much as I love cameras and playing with toys, my writing skills are not up to the task.
When you guys decide you want to do some videos, how-to's and reviews and such, call me. I'll happilly take the newest Pentax gear into my lab/studio/cave (I call it the Skonkwerkz) and see what kind of damage I can do with it.

Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 25/08/2010 - 16:28

Don

Link Posted 25/08/2010 - 16:30
and yes I changed the spelling to avoid lawsuits from Lockheed Martin and Lil' Abner....

Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 25/08/2010 - 16:31

wadna

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 02:59
pink wrote:
I don't own a k7 but I would think the k7 has a 100 iso???

JAMES

It does indeed have iso 100 but not if you use the expanded dynamic range function which I habitually use on my K-7 because it's DR is disappointing.
Pity they pulled the article as I would have liked to read it.
Last Edited by wadna on 26/08/2010 - 03:04

KZ

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 10:03
K-7 is Pentax's high end (APS-C) model. 550D is Canon's nearly entry level model. 90D is Nikon's mid model. Different cameras with different features for different target groups. These differences are also reflected in their prices. Does it make sense to compare them?

Mike-P

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 10:24
KZ wrote:
K-7 is Pentax's high end (APS-C) model. 550D is Canon's nearly entry level model. 90D is Nikon's mid model. Different cameras with different features for different target groups. These differences are also reflected in their prices. Does it make sense to compare them?

The trouble is that (at the moment?) Pentax does not have a middle ground DSLR. Having only 2 models and neither being in this price bracket I would rather they review some sort of Pentax rather than none at all.

Saying that.. maybe with the review they gave it was better to have non at all
. My Flickr

Pwynnej

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 11:55
Mike-P wrote:
K-7 raw buffer choking at 4 shots?, IQ nowhere near as good as the other two?

My K20D chokes very quickly too if I am trigger happy, and then I change my Ultra II for an Extreme III....

problem solved....

bad workman + tool = TOOL

Post 999 excited
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon
Last Edited by Pwynnej on 26/08/2010 - 11:56

Pwynnej

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 12:00
KZ wrote:
550D is Canon's nearly entry level model. 90D is Nikon's mid model.

Canon - 3 or is it 4 entry models - as far as I know the 450D is still current and that overlaps with the 1000D, then you have the 500D and 550D as well. Today the 60D is announced - apparently the x0D line is being 'downgraded' so as not to overlap with the 7D

Nikon - the D90 was introduced the same time as the K20D, hugely overdue for replacement. Overlaps with D5000, and D300s is the aspirational model. Danger of being left behind by Sony in the MP-race with only 12MP.

1000!

Sony - totally confused
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

Mike-P

Link Posted 26/08/2010 - 12:56
Pwynnej wrote:

My K20D chokes very quickly too if I am trigger happy, and then I change my Ultra II for an Extreme III....

problem solved....

bad workman + tool = TOOL

Or maybe its just that lens correction was turned on in the K-7 menu (default setting)
. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.