K-50 firmware update problem. Help, please.

Gedski

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 19:35
I'm trying to update from version 1.0 to 1.02. I can get as far as the firmware update screen but no further. The screen remains white lettering on a grey background. Pressing the right controller button, as directed does nothing. I have the SD card in the camera.

The update has downloaded onto my PC into my downloads folder. It is from here that I'm going wrong, I think. I have a newly formatted card in the PC card reader and I then just coy he file onto picture drive but I'm not sure that that is correct. I think I have followed the official download instructions but I'm probably wrong. Can anyone help with some idiot proof instructions please or does updating not really matter?

stu62

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 22:04
have you downloaded the corect file onto the memory card
i did the same sort of thing on a k5 down loaded the wrong file onto the card

smudge

Link Posted 22/07/2016 - 22:18
Two things to check:
Only copy file fwdc222b.bin onto the card - not the whole download
Copy this into the root (top) directory of the card - not a sub folder.
Regards, Philip
Last Edited by smudge on 22/07/2016 - 22:19

Gedski

Link Posted 23/07/2016 - 10:05
smudge wrote:
Two things to check:

smudge. I think that this is the bit I'm doing wrong. How do I find the root (top) directory of the SD card? When I insert the SD card into the PC, I don't know where to look to find it. What a 'Rodney'!

tyronet2000

Link Posted 23/07/2016 - 10:48
Gedski wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="smudge"]Two things to check:

smudge. I think that this is the bit I'm doing wrong. How do I find the root (top) directory of the SD card? When I insert the SD card into the PC, I don't know where to look to find it. What a 'Rodney'!o

When you put a card into your card reader and format it you will see for example G:/ or what ever the drive number of your card reader is, Just drag and drop the file fwdc222b.bin onto this as it is the root directory

If you remove the card then reinsert into your card reader you should see the drive letter and file eg G:/fwdc222b.bin. You can then put the card into your camera and update according to instructions. Please check with someone that what I have said is correct. Before trying it out
Regards
Stan

PPG
Last Edited by tyronet2000 on 23/07/2016 - 10:52

johnriley

Link Posted 23/07/2016 - 11:09
The root directory is the top layer of the card, in other words not inside a folder on the card.
Best regards, John

Gedski

Link Posted 23/07/2016 - 11:38
johnriley wrote:
The root directory is the top layer of the card, in other words not inside a folder on the card.

Good morning all. John, please forgive my lack of PC knowledge, etc. This is where I am.

1. I've got the Firmware download, a white rectangle with the name, Fwdc222b.bin on it. It is on my desktop.
2. I've got a SD card, formatted in my K-50, in my PC's card reader slot.

From here onwards, I'm stuck. There doesn't appear to be any way that I can get the Firmware download onto the SD card. I know that there is, somewhere.

johnriley

Link Posted 23/07/2016 - 14:23
Go to Computer>Removable Disk (G and this will open the card. Reduce its size if necessary by clicking top right in the box, the middle icon, next to the x (close) icon. The drive letter may not be G by the way, but you should be able to identify the card. Delete anything off the card by right clicking and selecting Delete from the pull down menu that appears.

Left click and hold the .bin file on your desktop. Drag it into the card dialog box and release.

Now put the card in the camera, switch on and follow the on-screen prompts.
Best regards, John

Gedski

Link Posted 23/07/2016 - 18:23
Eukeka!!! I've got it. by jove I've got it. I eventually tried connecting the K-50 to my PC. I must have done something right because I now have Firmware 1.02. Muchly thankings to you all and especially to John. Now what's my next problem?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.