K-50 anyone?
Posted 15/06/2013 - 08:46
Link
I'm a bit surprised that there seems to be a general unawareness here of all the publicity and chatter that's been going on. It's not only the UK photo press that's waking up to Pentax, but all the other outdoor-orientated specialist areas. Walkers, climbers, boaters, birders, etc., all get their turn.
It's a good strategy because weatherproof cameras of high quality and reasonable price are ideal for many users. Not just us photographers. People are more and more using photography to support their other activities, not as an end in itself.
It's a good strategy because weatherproof cameras of high quality and reasonable price are ideal for many users. Not just us photographers. People are more and more using photography to support their other activities, not as an end in itself.
Best regards, John
Posted 15/06/2013 - 09:26
Link
Blythman wrote:
As what I said, I think they have also got the name wrong in naming it K50, johnriley wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that there seems to be a general unawareness here of all the publicity and chatter that's been going on............
Suggests they're not doing a great job of it then JohnI'm a bit surprised that there seems to be a general unawareness here of all the publicity and chatter that's been going on............
As typing Pentax K50 into any search engine brings up a lot of items for the K50 lens mixed in with the K50 camera, and then there is a lot of scrolling to find what you do want, maybe naming a camera after a well loved and searched for lens wasn't a smart move, newbies will soon get bored.
Posted 15/06/2013 - 09:41
Link
Would *istK50 have been better
I agree... with internet searches now the norm, companies need to
have unique names for their products..... but it won't happen...
they will still be named after pet cats etc.
I can't understand Canon having different names in different
parts of the world..... What's a Rebel for goodness sake!
'
I agree... with internet searches now the norm, companies need to
have unique names for their products..... but it won't happen...
they will still be named after pet cats etc.
I can't understand Canon having different names in different
parts of the world..... What's a Rebel for goodness sake!
'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 15/06/2013 - 10:00
Link
MattyH wrote:
As typing Pentax K50 into any search engine brings up a lot of items for the K50 lens mixed in with the K50 camera, and then there is a lot of scrolling to find what you do want, maybe naming a camera after a well loved and searched for lens wasn't a smart move, newbies will soon get bored.
It really isn't so hard Matty. Putting "K50 camera" into google works quite well and probably isn't beyond the capabilities of our internet generation
Blythman wrote:
As what I said, I think they have also got the name wrong in naming it K50, johnriley wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that there seems to be a general unawareness here of all the publicity and chatter that's been going on............
Suggests they're not doing a great job of it then JohnI'm a bit surprised that there seems to be a general unawareness here of all the publicity and chatter that's been going on............
As typing Pentax K50 into any search engine brings up a lot of items for the K50 lens mixed in with the K50 camera, and then there is a lot of scrolling to find what you do want, maybe naming a camera after a well loved and searched for lens wasn't a smart move, newbies will soon get bored.
Posted 15/06/2013 - 13:42
Link
gwing wrote:
As typing Pentax K50 into any search engine brings up a lot of items for the K50 lens mixed in with the K50 camera, and then there is a lot of scrolling to find what you do want, maybe naming a camera after a well loved and searched for lens wasn't a smart move, newbies will soon get bored.
It really isn't so hard Matty. Putting "K50 camera" into google works quite well and probably isn't beyond the capabilities of our internet generation [/quote]According to some Pentax user aren't a part of the Internet generation
MattyH wrote:
As what I said, I think they have also got the name wrong in naming it K50, Blythman wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]I'm a bit surprised that there seems to be a general unawareness here of all the publicity and chatter that's been going on............
Suggests they're not doing a great job of it then John[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]I'm a bit surprised that there seems to be a general unawareness here of all the publicity and chatter that's been going on............
As typing Pentax K50 into any search engine brings up a lot of items for the K50 lens mixed in with the K50 camera, and then there is a lot of scrolling to find what you do want, maybe naming a camera after a well loved and searched for lens wasn't a smart move, newbies will soon get bored.
Posted 15/06/2013 - 14:08
Link
MattyH wrote:
According to some Pentax user aren't a part of the Internet generation
The other day I was talking cameras with a friend who was looking to buy, I mentioned I used Pentax and Canon to which he replied oooh, Pentax, top end stuff then. His 16 year old son then piped up, no ... Pentax do all the cheap multi coloured bodies, it's Canon and Nikon that have all the decent cameras.According to some Pentax user aren't a part of the Internet generation
Interesting to see what Pentax have become in a generation.
Posted 15/06/2013 - 14:56
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
It's a shame that people see these multicoloured bodies, and don't see what good cameras they are underneath.
Indeed. I use a couple of other (no particular brand of camera) forums and on both there is a thread about the new Pentax cameras and the fact you can buy them in pink and orange (usual comments).It's a shame that people see these multicoloured bodies, and don't see what good cameras they are underneath.
At one time I would have posted in them but I have grown weary over the years trying to defend Pentax. Personally I would take the K-5II over the 7D or D7200 every time but there are a LOT of people that won't even pick up a Pentax body never mind try one for a bit.
Posted 15/06/2013 - 15:18
Link
Mike-P wrote:
If they can actually find one to pick upPentaxophile wrote:
It's a shame that people see these multicoloured bodies, and don't see what good cameras they are underneath.
..there are a LOT of people that won't even pick up a Pentax body never mind try one for a bit.It's a shame that people see these multicoloured bodies, and don't see what good cameras they are underneath.
I think Pentax ought to do more to be able to make that happen.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Posted 15/06/2013 - 15:19
Link
Mike-P wrote:
At one time I would have posted in them but I have grown weary over the years trying to defend Pentax. Personally I would take the K-5II over the 7D or D7200 every time but there are a LOT of people that won't even pick up a Pentax body never mind try one for a bit.
I own half a dozen Pentax cameras and a Sony A77, every time I use a Pentax it's a joy to savour and brings a smile to my face, maybe like a well loved and cared for classic car.Pentaxophile wrote:
It's a shame that people see these multicoloured bodies, and don't see what good cameras they are underneath.
Indeed. I use a couple of other (no particular brand of camera) forums and on both there is a thread about the new Pentax cameras and the fact you can buy them in pink and orange (usual comments).It's a shame that people see these multicoloured bodies, and don't see what good cameras they are underneath.
At one time I would have posted in them but I have grown weary over the years trying to defend Pentax. Personally I would take the K-5II over the 7D or D7200 every time but there are a LOT of people that won't even pick up a Pentax body never mind try one for a bit.
Every time I use the Sony it feels just like a tool to get that job done, just like a microwave, its good at what it does but you could never say you enjoy using one.
I remember as a child when my dad gave me his Pentax K1000 when he upgraded to a MX, I apparently slept, eat and took it every where with me, I love it then and I still do today.
With these new Pentax K50 and K500 cameras, that special something is missing, yes the specs are there but they both look like any other camera from any other maker and some sparkle in my opinion is missing along with Alan Whicker from those classic Pentax adverts.
Posted 15/06/2013 - 19:36
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Interesting to see what Pentax have become in a generation.
I am amazed the 16 year old had heard of pentax, they must be doing something right then
MattyH wrote:
According to some Pentax user aren't a part of the Internet generation
The other day I was talking cameras with a friend who was looking to buy, I mentioned I used Pentax and Canon to which he replied oooh, Pentax, top end stuff then. His 16 year old son then piped up, no ... Pentax do all the cheap multi coloured bodies, it's Canon and Nikon that have all the decent cameras.According to some Pentax user aren't a part of the Internet generation
Interesting to see what Pentax have become in a generation.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 15/06/2013 - 23:39
Link
cabstar wrote:
Just what I was thinking
Mike-P wrote:
Interesting to see what Pentax have become in a generation.
I am amazed the 16 year old had heard of pentax, they must be doing something right then MattyH wrote:
According to some Pentax user aren't a part of the Internet generation
The other day I was talking cameras with a friend who was looking to buy, I mentioned I used Pentax and Canon to which he replied oooh, Pentax, top end stuff then. His 16 year old son then piped up, no ... Pentax do all the cheap multi coloured bodies, it's Canon and Nikon that have all the decent cameras.According to some Pentax user aren't a part of the Internet generation
Interesting to see what Pentax have become in a generation.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7671 posts
16 years
Smegland
I sort of agree with both sides of the argument. The main thing is Pentax has to get the message across that they have the best low to mid range DSLR's. Nobody except us seems to know that and they need to change that else they can launch as many models as they like and things will stay the same.
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283