K-5 Flash problems? Anyone can confirm this?

Fletcher8
Posted 30/11/2010 - 07:43 Link
I have been using the Mecablitz 50 AF-1 and although I am new to flash have not had any real problems so far with regard to overburn when using pTTL. when i have had any problems I just adjust accordingly. However as I am learning I may be missing something, and perhaps there is an issues which will be resolved via the next firmware update.
Fletcher8.
sterretje
Posted 30/11/2010 - 10:51 Link
Fletcher8 wrote:
...
when i have had any problems I just adjust accordingly
...
I think that that is exactly the point; one does not want to do that, should be right the first time
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Anvh
Posted 30/11/2010 - 12:08 Link
What kind of metering are you using?
spot, centre-weighted or Matrix?
If you're using spot than it's not uncommon you overexpose some parts of the photo

sterretje wrote:
Anvh wrote:

You sure about this, because all this gets comunicated with the K10D though, would be strange the K5 didn't.
I've tried both K10D and K5 in combination with the AF540FGZ. Will verify tonight again. Just to make sure, note the we're talking auto-mode, not p-ttl
Yes i'm talking about auto mode as well.
Even when you use manual mode the flash comunicate, you see the the flash distance scale changes when you change the ISO or aperture of the camera.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
sterretje
Posted 30/11/2010 - 16:12 Link
Anvh wrote:

Yes i'm talking about auto mode as well.
Even when you use manual mode the flash comunicate, you see the the flash distance scale changes when you change the ISO or aperture of the camera.
Just checked K10D; camera on M or Av, 18-55mm WR lens, AF540FGZ flash on A(uto) in horizontal position and I can change settings on the camera but nothing changes on the flash (iso stays on 100, aperture on F/8 ). Zooming also does not have effect on the flash's zoom reflector.

My AF540FGZ is different from yours
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Edited by sterretje: 30/11/2010 - 16:12
Anvh
Posted 30/11/2010 - 18:27 Link
Indeed you've a different flash i think.
In Av mode i can't set to flash to Auto or Manual with the K10D, and when the camera is in manual the zooming always work.
The numbers in Auto is another story, i believe there was a trick for that... at least if i cycle through the flash programs so go from auto and back to auto it has the correct information.
Zooming always follows the focal length regardless the mode when the zoom is set to A-Zoom.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 30/11/2010 - 18:27

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo