K-5 continuous shooting problem

RobE17
Posted 11/07/2011 - 13:09 Link
Whilst using my K-5 on Saturday at an airshow I experienced a problem using the continuous shooting mode...I was photographing an aircraft taking off and was panning succesfully firing off a few shots when the camera "froze" - the AF points remained lit in the viewfinder and the camera stopped. I turned the camera off but the LCD screen remained on. I had to remove the battery from the body itself and everything was back to normal.

I was using an Inov8 battery in the body which I had fully charged the night before and an Integral 16gb Class 10 SDHC Card.

Has anyone else experienced this problem before? Was it either the card or the battery that might have caused this?
pgweber
Posted 11/07/2011 - 13:17 Link
Yes, a couple of times now.

I too was shooting in continuous and the camera behaviour was the same with the AF points remaining lit and everything frozen.

Cured it the way you did, by taking the battery out.

Was using Pentax battery (on 3 segments) & Sandisk Extreme III 8GB card.

I was unfazed the second time but would be a bit cross if it happenend on a crucial shot.

Regards,
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
johnriley
Posted 11/07/2011 - 13:27 Link
Are you sure it wasn't just that the buffer was full?
Best regards, John
RobE17
Posted 11/07/2011 - 13:31 Link
johnriley wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't just that the buffer was full?
I don't think so John, I'd only taken 4 images from when the aircraft started to taxi before it took off. This happened about halfway through the flying display and I had no problems beforehand.
Blythman
Posted 11/07/2011 - 14:46 Link
Both Barrie and I suffered this about 3 weeks ago, and we mentioned it on here. He was at Beamish and I was at The Farnes
Alan


PPG
Flickr
RobE17
Posted 11/07/2011 - 15:37 Link
Blythman wrote:
Both Barrie and I suffered this about 3 weeks ago, and we mentioned it on here. He was at Beamish and I was at The Farnes
Any ideas as to what might have caused it?
Blythman
Posted 11/07/2011 - 15:52 Link
Haven't a clue Rob. Happened one on my K-x, and hasn't happened since. So, I'm just hoping its the same with the K-5.

It was raining, as it was with Barrie, but I don't expect that to be relevant.
Alan


PPG
Flickr
johnriley
Posted 11/07/2011 - 16:05 - Helpful Comment Link
The camera loacking up is mentioned in every DSLR manual. Build up of static charge or something like that. The cure is to remove the battery for a while and then start again. If this works, the manual says there is no need for a repair.

Avoiding strong magnetic fields is advised, so I suppose keeping the camera on an unshielded speaker would be the sort of thing to watch for.
Best regards, John
RobE17
Posted 11/07/2011 - 16:06 Link
Thanks Alan & John, fingers crossed it won't happen to me again.
Edited by RobE17: 11/07/2011 - 16:08
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 11/07/2011 - 16:38 Link
Last time happend to me single shot middle of field. Maybe myserious lay lines that affect k5s or maybe just another fault seems to happen to a lot of people
Blythman
Posted 11/07/2011 - 16:50 Link
Always carry a CH radiator with you to earth yourself on. You'll be fine
Alan


PPG
Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo