K-30 vs OM-D

yolofoto

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 14:26
Anyone used both? I've been away from Pentax for a while and currently use an Olympus OM-D + Panasonic 14-45 and 45-150 lenses. IQ is okay but the lenses I have are so very slow. I would much prefer to use f2.8 zooms but those available from Panasonic are very costly and don't seem to come up used. But... I could afford to change my M4/3 kit for a new K-30 + used 16-50/2.8 + used 50-135/2.8.

At some point when funds allow, I'd probably upgrade to a K5II or future equivalent.

What do you think? Any thoughts or advice welcome.

smc

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 14:34
Good choice - the new K50 might also be worth considering. Your choice of lenses looks good, depending on what type of shooting you do. The OM-D is supposed to have blazing AF - something that soem people would not accuse Pentax of having!

yolofoto

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 14:40
Thank you SMC. It's a funny thing the OM-D AF, yes it's quick but doesn't seem at all quicker than that of the my old K5 and the focus box is so big that you are never quite sure what your focusing on. That being said, in general use it doesn't seem to miss focus very often - but then again, the DoF is always bigger than I'm expecting.
Last Edited by yolofoto on 28/06/2013 - 14:41

johnriley

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 14:40
Being Pentax User, we use...Pentax. But the K-5 models are well worth thinking about. There are many advantages, but to get comparison data I would look at the various review sites such as the sister site to this one www.ephotozine.com and others.

Perhaps the fast primes are the lenses for you?
Best regards, John

yolofoto

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 14:44
Thank you John. I'm sure there would be some primes in my future but there are good M4/3 primes - the 45/1.8 which I use a lot is cracking - but for everyday shooting, events and portraits, the two fast zooms are what I'm after.

johnriley

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 14:46
The high ISO performance of Pentax is so impressive you could even consider the weather resistant and very fast focusing 18-135mm.
Best regards, John

yolofoto

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 14:51
That's a good thought too. I'll certainly look into that but I suspect the fast zooms will win the day for me.

JonSchick

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 15:08
I went from Pentax (K-7) to m43, had the OM-D for a year or so, and have now returned to Pentax (K-5). I'd seriously consider the K-5 at the prices you can pick them up from SRS.

The sensor in the OM-D is spectacular and I suspect based on very similar technology to the Pentax - both being Sony-sourced. The Pentax is a little better at higher ISOs, but I never thought the OM-D was lacking in that regard. Both have got great dynamic range.

Cheaper fast lenses were part of the reasoning for me too - in my case the Tamron 17-50 was a cheap no-brainer, as well as affordable weather sealed lenses. The 18-135 is better than you might think. Micro 43 lenses are very good - at least many of them are - but they're not cheap, especially the fast zooms of which only two are currently available.

I prefer the ergonomics of the Pentax, which feels more solid than the OM-D to me - sort of an Audi compared to an Alfa! And it's much easier to find your way around the camera and its menu system. Much as I thought it was a very capable camera, the OM-D had enough foibles (especially the horrendous menu system) that it sometimes got in the way of my photography. I don't regret moving back.

Cheers,

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Cuchulainn

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 15:29
If you're enjoying the handling of the OM-D, then I'd definitely consider the K-30 over a K-5. You don't have the top LCD on the OMD, so you're used to not missing it, and the K-30 has a newer processing and autofocus engine compared to the k-5. Main downsides are the lack of battery grip and hdmi output (which are only downsides when important for you). I love mine, it's a brilliant little camera that kept me in the Pentax fold (I have an X100 and was seriously considering an XPro1 to compliment it).

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 15:33
Funny how blokes always use makes of car as a comparison when talking lenses ... wonder if Gwyn uses makes of washing machine or coffe maker.

K-30/16-50/50-135mm would make a great combo but don't expect speedy af performance, those 2 lenses are about the slowest focusing you can get in the Pentax range (bar the 55mm)
. My Flickr

yolofoto

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 15:44
Hmm. Lots more good stuff. Thank you all. I don't need a top screen, grip or HDMI output but slow autofocus is worrying.

Gwyn

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 15:59
Mike-P wrote:
Funny how blokes always use makes of car as a comparison when talking lenses ... wonder if Gwyn uses makes of washing machine or coffe maker.

Of course I do . Constantly comparing cameras in terms of Miele versus Samsung, or Rancillo versus De Longhi.

Algernon

Link Posted 28/06/2013 - 16:47
I wouldn't buy a Car that colour clashed with my Kettle!

'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Cuchulainn

Link Posted 29/06/2013 - 13:08
yolofoto wrote:
Hmm. Lots more good stuff. Thank you all. I don't need a top screen, grip or HDMI output but slow autofocus is worrying.

To be clear, it the lenses that have slow autofocus - the k-30 is nice and snappy. Apparently the latest version of Tue 50-135 is better then previous ones. Alternatively, of you can live without weather sealing, then keep an eye out for a sigma 50-150. They are rare because owners won't sell them. I use one on the k-30 and it's a brilliant combination. The 18-135 is also a lovely match for a useful, good image quality, single lens option with wr and snappy focussing.

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 29/06/2013 - 14:06
Cuchulainn wrote:
yolofoto wrote:

To be clear, it the lenses that have slow autofocus - the k-30 is nice and snappy. Apparently the latest version of Tue 50-135 is better then previous ones. Alternatively, of you can live without weather sealing, then keep an eye out for a sigma 50-150. They are rare because owners won't sell them. I use one on the k-30 and it's a brilliant combination. The 18-135 is also a lovely match for a useful, good image quality, single lens option with wr and snappy focussing.

I can second the comments on the Sigma 50-150, it is a great lens and focuses quickly and quietly on the K5 and K30. I use it with the Pentax 16-45 and now the Tamron 17-50. Otherwise if the weather is bad and the weatherman says its raining, you won't find me complaining, I'll just stick the 18-135 on and get on with it! The K5 fells better built than the K30, but the K30 is pretty solid none-the-less.
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.