Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-30 vs OM-D

yolofoto
Posted 02/07/2013 - 20:09 Link
jamieallan wrote:
So I don't think the two are to be compared without looking at the whole picture and that surely includes cost.

Um, the point of the thread is that I am interested in the opinions of people with experience of both the OM-D and K-30 precisely because the K-30 is cheaper, leaving money for f2.8 zooms.
Edited by yolofoto: 02/07/2013 - 20:11
davidstorm
Posted 02/07/2013 - 23:58 Link
giofi wrote:
Steve, I just read some of Benjamin Kanarek's posts on his blog, and he is not very happy with Pentax camera's AF accuracy.

I wonder if Benjamin has used a K-5II variant? Focus accuracy is superb on these cameras; I doubt if there's anything more accurate, maybe faster, but not more accurate, even in near darkness. I don't think my K-5IIs has ever missed focus unless it was me at fault.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
George Lazarette
Posted 04/07/2013 - 13:53 Link
Giorgio has already explained that he meant speed, not accuracy.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
davidstorm
Posted 04/07/2013 - 19:30 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
Giorgio has already explained that he meant speed, not accuracy.

Hello George, nice to hear from you again. I'm not sure if you have taken the trouble to read Benjamin Kanarek's Blog posts about his Pentax AF concerns (I have), but if you had done this you would clearly see that he is not referring to AF speed, but is in fact referring to AF accuracy, hence my post earlier that you have attempted to discredit.

It might be nice if you researched the facts a little more thoroughly before trying to make me look an idiot, your comments may be more effective that way.

Best wishes
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Posted 07/07/2013 - 04:48 Link
Have just traded an om-d for a barely used (1176 shutter count) k30with da*16-50 and da*50-135 lenses.

OM-D = lightening fast focus but focus box is large, not an issue 90% of time but if trying to get birds in trees etc then it can be an issue. Technically its superier to k30 in just about every way and the 5 axis IBIS is simply stunning and the touch screen was nice. But for me I just never got along with it,ergonomic wise even with the grip i never found it comfortable to hold.

K30 - just feels right in the hand, build quality feels far better than OM-D. You don't have to buy F2 or F1.9 prime lenses to start getting OOF backgrounds easily and it has a real OVF.

If I had to choose between K30 or OM-D, it would be K30 everytime. OM-D is a fine camera but just not the one for me, i owned it for a year so gave it a real try at getting to like it.
Posted 10/07/2013 - 08:51 Link
I use a K-30 and a E-PL5 with a clip on EVF not that different from the OMD and they are completely different beasts and each gets used for different reasons with me.

Focusing on static subjects is faster with the Oly, the Pentax is more reliable for CAF where as the Oly is next to useless.

Quote:
but focus box is large

You do know you can reduce the size of the focus box in the menu?
Russ
Posted 10/07/2013 - 10:42 Link
craftysnapper wrote:
I use a K-30 and a E-PL5 with a clip on EVF not that different from the OMD and they are completely different beasts and each gets used for different reasons with me.

Focusing on static subjects is faster with the Oly, the Pentax is more reliable for CAF where as the Oly is next to useless.

Quote:
but focus box is large

You do know you can reduce the size of the focus box in the menu?

I can only echo this. I have the Panny GF1 with LVF1 viewfinder and the K30. Two completely different cameras with different skill sets. Couldn't be without either.
I downsized my lens collection for GF1, selling the 14-140 and 45-200. Just use it with two primes, the Sigma 19mm and 30mm DN. It makes the most sense this way as it remains small, light and compact. It's also discreet when i don't want to seen with a large DSLR hanging round my neck.
Also, the Liveview and video on the Oly and Panny is totally seemless, near perfect. On the Pentax its clunky at best.
But the K30 miles better ergonomically, far nicer to hold with a top notch OVF. I like the Info button (but still miss the external controls of the K10D) and ease of access. IQ is great and its pretty good for sports (providing there's not a Canon 7D or Nikon D7000 around to embarrass it).
In short its not a case of K30 vs OM-D but rather K30 & OM-D. Keep the OM, add the K30 (or K50).
Edited by Russ: 10/07/2013 - 10:49
helios
Posted 10/07/2013 - 16:29 Link
Russ wrote:

In short its not a case of K30 vs OM-D but rather K30 & OM-D. Keep the OM, add the K30 (or K50).

That is what I have done. Provided you can afford it it is the best solution.
Archie

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.