K-3 DNG Thumbnails in Adobe Bridge

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/04/2014 - 23:51
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help with a question regarding Adobe Bridge CS3 and the way it displays DNG thumbnail images. On my Windows 8.1 laptop I can see K-5IIs DNG thumbnails and images in Adobe Bridge CS3 with no problems. On the other hand, it will not render the DNG thumbnails or images from the K-3. I can see the image icons and can open the images without issue from Bridge to Adobe Camera RAW, then process in Photoshop CS3, all without any problems on the K-3 files, it's just that thumbnails and images don't render in Bridge.

Can anyone explain why? I have to resort to PDCU5 to browse the K-3 DNG files and this software is poor to say the least.

Thanks in advance of any help that can be provided.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Glowingblue

Link Posted 09/04/2014 - 06:11
This is strange David, my first reaction was to suggest purging the thumbnail cache but you don't have problems using other cameras so not sure if this would work. I don't shoot RAW anymore, not since CS3 on a Mac curiously enough.

I am hoping Smeggypants or JR will be able to help you.

Good luck

johnriley

Link Posted 09/04/2014 - 08:47
I can't go into any detail, but I presume that you are missing an essential codec from your computer. I would start by searching for the codec on Google, Adobe or Microsoft.

If someone has a specific link for you that would be even better.
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 09/04/2014 - 22:32
Thanks guys, not sure if the answer is here but the help is gratefully received.

Glowingblue wrote:
This is strange David, my first reaction was to suggest purging the thumbnail cache but you don't have problems using other cameras so not sure if this would work. I don't shoot RAW anymore, not since CS3 on a Mac curiously enough.

I am hoping Smeggypants or JR will be able to help you.

Good luck

I have tried purging the cache Carl, but it made no difference, thanks for the suggestion anyway.

johnriley wrote:
I can't go into any detail, but I presume that you are missing an essential codec from your computer. I would start by searching for the codec on Google, Adobe or Microsoft.

If someone has a specific link for you that would be even better.

I don't think it is a codec issue John as my PC has no problems with DNG files in general, it is just the K-3 ones that won't render as thumbnails or images in Adobe Bridge CS3. The strange thing to me is that the problem does not exist in ACR or PS CS3, which are both part of the same creative suite, so I would have thought that if it worked in one it would work in them all? Also, as mentioned, there is no problem with Adobe Bridge when using DNG's from any other camera I have ever owned, including the K-5IIs, K-5, K-x and K-01.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Regards
David
Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 09/04/2014 - 22:33

JAK

Link Posted 09/04/2014 - 22:51
I'm not sure what Adobe Bridge is so I can't help you with that, but wonder if you can see the K-3 DNG thumbnails in Windows Explorer? I do not have any problem with those whereas K-3 PEF thumbnails do not render for me.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 09/04/2014 - 22:51

davidstorm

Link Posted 09/04/2014 - 22:54
OK, here's an update. It's definitely not a codec issue, I have downloaded and installed the Adobe DNG Codec for Windows. I can see DNG Thumbnails in Windows Explorer and I can see full size images in Windows Photo Viewer, but still nothing in Adobe Bridge CS3! Quite bizarre.

Regards
David
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 09/04/2014 - 23:37
Your version of Adobe Bridge may well be no longer supported then, so no recognition of later versions of DNG?
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 10/04/2014 - 00:13
johnriley wrote:
Your version of Adobe Bridge may well be no longer supported then, so no recognition of later versions of DNG?

Possibly John, you might be right. I'm still puzzled though as the native operating system can render the files, as can other parts of the CS3 suite, so I would have thought that Adobe Bridge would use the same codecs etc., but clearly this isn't the case. Also, wouldn't Bridge use the embedded jpeg to produce thumbnails?

Regards
David
Flickr

mivoligo

Link Posted 10/04/2014 - 08:56
I know nothing about Adobe Bridge but in some programs you have to set maximal file size (in megabytes) for an image to be thumbnailed. For example if that size is set to 4 MB, a program will not display thumbnails for images with 5 MB.
I have no idea if that's the case with Adobe Bridge though but maybe worth checking its settings.
Flickr

jamieallan

Link Posted 10/04/2014 - 15:09
David,
I have CS3 and Bridge. If you want to send me an image I can see if I can see it. If so send me a PM and I'll send you my email address. It certainly works ok for me and my K-30 DNG files.
Jamie

harwood6120

Link Posted 27/04/2014 - 09:57
David
I have a similar problem viewing K3 DNG files on an iPad Air.
Seems Apple and Pentax haven't talked to each other about the new file format.
I'll have to wait for an update for the iPad.

Dave H

davidstorm

Link Posted 27/04/2014 - 10:28
Thanks for the update Dave, I have since made a little progress, but not with Adobe Bridge. I've downloaded and installed a DNG codec as mentioned earlier in the thread and can now see DNG thumbnails in all Windows applications, but still no luck in Bridge. However, the odd thing is that the K-3 thumbnails render in other applications with a strange greenish-blue tinge to them and the exposure looks very dark. Once loaded into Adobe Camera RAW and then into Photoshop, the Thumbnails for the original DNG's display normally - i.e. no colour cast and no exposure issues!

Very odd.

Regards
David
Flickr

harwood6120

Link Posted 27/04/2014 - 11:51
Have you tried Lightroom?
I use it all the time, only slipping into PS for panoramas or some other technique LR hasn't got - better spot removal for one.

Dave H

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/04/2014 - 12:12
David, if its good image management you want (without having to change the actual editing workflows you use) then take a look at the excellent imatch programme, which I use. It has brilliant cataloging and exif editing features, as well as providing a one -stop solution to the physical organisation of image files. You can set up right-click links to your editing software to directly open an image from imatch.

RAW thumbnails (PEF & DNG) are automatically displayed, and you can configure the amount of details you see about each photo. The 'tree style' catagory functions and 'smart-category' creation is very sophisticated and individualised. link
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 27/04/2014 - 12:13

jamieallan

Link Posted 27/04/2014 - 15:36
David,
One possible go-around for you at present would be if you ran you files through ExifToolGUI. You can change any of the parameters of your image files with this tool. I had to do that when I had an Olympus E-600 as the latest ACR that you can use with CS3 is if I remember ACR v4.6 and Adobe didn't release an E-600 update for anything less than 4.7. I made my E-600 files E-620 files and that worked for me. Assuming your K-5II worked on CS3 you could try making your K-3 files K-5II's to see if that would work.

ExifToolGUI is free - here's the link

http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/

You need to read the documentation as you need install ExifTool and ExifToolGUI otherwise you can only use a command prompt to run it.

You can change many things using this tool including the time and date of the image taken. At the time I used it on my E-600 it didn't work for DxO but did for Lightroom.
Jamie
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.