K-3 Card not formatted error

tyronet2000

Link Posted 20/02/2016 - 17:35
During a shoot today the error message came up on the screen of the K-3 Card Not Formatted 1. I assume the 1 was a reference to the card in use. Switched the camera off then on again and it has worked as normal, all the previous images were on the card, a Lexar 16GB 400x, and functioned ok for the rest of the shoot, taking normal and long exposures. Any suggestions as to what has caused this, anyone else experienced this. The sdhc is a fairly new one and was formatted in camera the previous day.
Have only recently acquired this camera, it was bought off a forum member and had very low shutter count of just under 1800.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice
Regards
Stan

PPG

wvbarnes

Link Posted 20/02/2016 - 17:41
Hi Stan,

my golden rule is that if a card plays up I dump it (or send/take it back if new). Flash memory can be flaky and this might be an early warning you got away with. I'm a fan of Sandisk Extreme and Toshiba Pro cards (five year warranty).

Also have you the current camera firmware 1.21? link

PS This may also be useful. We should have a sticky FAQ I reckon link
Last Edited by wvbarnes on 20/02/2016 - 17:43

Helpful

tyronet2000

Link Posted 20/02/2016 - 18:42
Thanks Bill. I have ver 1.21 it was the first thing I did after getting the camera. I won't be using that card again, as you say probably have been lucky. At least with the K-3 there are two cards so had a "spare" Will look for another couple of cards. This is the first problem I've had with cards, used Duracel and other Lexar but it is a bit off putting when something like that happens. Still as long as it's the card and not the camera
Regards
Stan

PPG

Algernon

Link Posted 20/02/2016 - 18:57
I used to get that message when I had a K10D. It didn't like Sandisk cards and was OK with any other make, The cards were OK in other cameras and MP3 players.

I have heard that Lexar aren't as good as they used to be.

Duracell are made by one of the smaller manufactures for Duracell.
(Dane-Elec I think).

Toshiba, Samsung or Sandisk are what I buy now.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 20/02/2016 - 19:03

Helpful

stu62

Link Posted 20/02/2016 - 19:45
i had that on a k5 it was the card so i dumped the card

Helpful

tyronet2000

Link Posted 20/02/2016 - 20:04
Thanks All for the feedback. I don't think I'd trust that card again and will look for other marques as suggested
Regards
Stan

PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.