Just Starting Out Again After 15 Years

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 13:18
Hi Everyone,
I am just starting out again after 15 years. I have just ordered a Pentax K100D + 18-55mm lens + 50-200mm telephoto + carry-all + SD High Speed 150X 4 GB memory card + V900 PC22 Charger LR6(AA) + 4 rechargeable NiMH LR6(AA) batteries 2500 mAh.

I have many questions to ask as I have not picked up a SLR Camera for 15 years and all that I had learned has been forgotten in the mists of time.
So I am starting from the beginning again.

I would like comments on what I have bought. Would this be a good starting point ?

Also I still have my old SLR Pentax Super A, plus a Pentax A SMC Zoom Lens 1:3.5 ~ 4.5 35~70mm would I be able to use this with new setup? And what are your thoughts on this particular lens.

The other lens I have is a Vivitar 28 ~ 210 1:3.5 ~ 5.6 MC Macro Focusing Zoom 72mm again your thoughts please, and whether it would fit the new kit.

The other equipment is the usual filters skylight, polarized, starburst round filters. Plus some square Hunter filters 16 in all. Cable releases.

I have a flashgun as well Sunpak Auto 3075G could I use this as well.

I hope I have made this as clear as I can. Any comments would be appreciated and any advice welcome. Please keep any advice as non technical as possible as I am just starting again.

I will be trying to cover all aspects but am interested in Landscapes, Wildlife, and maybe some close up work at a later date.

old timer

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 13:27
Hi
Welcome to the forum and back to the world of photography.

I have no doubt that the many well informed members of this site will put you straight.

Me? I am not that well informed but I have absorbed an awful lot since I joined.

Good shooting
Keep up the good work
Graham

I'll think of something someday.

golfdiesel

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 13:56
The Sunpak flash will only work in full manual mode. The K100D does not have the possibility to operate TTL Flashguns, only the newer flashguns which support P-TTL and have digital comunication between body and flash.
Only the *ist-D and *ist-DS support TTL flashguns but according to my own experience a true P-TTL flashgun works better.

As an additional tip, first try to get used with the camera a little as it is, then when you have the basic concept figured out you can try out RAW mode for shooting. It takes a little more work on the PC but the results are a lot better in the end.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T

George Lazarette

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 14:32
UPINSMOKE wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I am just starting out again after 15 years. I have just ordered a Pentax K100D + 18-55mm lens + 50-200mm telephoto + carry-all + SD High Speed 150X 4 GB memory card + V900 PC22 Charger LR6(AA) + 4 rechargeable NiMH LR6(AA) batteries 2500 mAh.

I have many questions to ask as I have not picked up a SLR Camera for 15 years and all that I had learned has been forgotten in the mists of time.
So I am starting from the beginning again.

I would like comments on what I have bought. Would this be a good starting point ?

Not bad, though I might have bought two 2GB cards for greater flexibility.

Quote:

Also I still have my old SLR Pentax Super A, plus a Pentax A SMC Zoom Lens 1:3.5 ~ 4.5 35~70mm would I be able to use this with new setup? And what are your thoughts on this particular lens.

It'll work fine. It's not a bad lens.

Quote:

The other lens I have is a Vivitar 28 ~ 210 1:3.5 ~ 5.6 MC Macro Focusing Zoom 72mm again your thoughts please, and whether it would fit the new kit.

If it's the A version, it'll work fine. If not, you'll have to use it in manual metering mode.

Quote:
The other equipment is the usual filters skylight, polarized, starburst round filters. Plus some square Hunter filters 16 in all. Cable releases.

I have a flashgun as well Sunpak Auto 3075G could I use this as well.

I hope I have made this as clear as I can. Any comments would be appreciated and any advice welcome. Please keep any advice as non technical as possible as I am just starting again.

I will be trying to cover all aspects but am interested in Landscapes, Wildlife, and maybe some close up work at a later date.

No idea about the flashgun, but it'll probably be fine with the camera in manual mode.

Good luck.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisA

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 14:42
George Lazarette wrote:
No idea about the flashgun, but it'll probably be fine with the camera in manual mode.

Isn't there an issue with trigger voltages on the older guns with the newer DSLRs?

Mannesty

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 14:53
Hi and welcome.

Your choice of camera and lens package is excellent. Your old lenses will work fine but you all but 10mm at the long end covered by the new lenses.

In 35mm terms, your new lenses will have the equivalent angle of view (AOV) of 27 - 82.5 and 75 - 300mm respectively.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

George Lazarette

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 14:55
There is an issue with Canon cameras, which are said to be sensitive to more than about 10 volts. Pentax US reported that a voltage of up to 400 was OK with the *ist D.

However, most flash guns made in the last twenty years have voltages under 10. If in doubt, use a voltmeter to check.

Early versions of the Vivitar 283 had quite high voltages.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 18:00
Quote:
Not bad, though I might have bought two 2GB cards for greater flexibility.

I probably would have done, but all the new equipment came as a package, so thats why I have a 4GB card. Thank you for your comments and advice keep it coming.

Any advice on what flashgun to buy for the K100D would be of help also perhaps the best place to buy.

Is there any websites I can visit that will give me the basics on aperture and speed settings or a general beginners guide explaining depth of field what filters to use in what situations etc. That is simple to understand.

Treat me as complete novice.

MattMatic

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 18:14
For flash guns, I'd say it's probably the Pentax AF360-FGZ (the AF540 is mighty expensive).

Park Cameras have them at 160. SRS Microsystems are extremely helpful and have them at 159 - but it's worth talking to Chris there...

As far as tutorials go, have a look at the sister site - www.ephotozine.com
There are plenty of tips and guides in the "Techniques" section ( http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/ )

No doubt someone can point you to plenty of other good web sites too

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Rodger Fooks

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 18:20
A good site is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number if you wade through the technical stuff there is some really useful info in there.

I use the AF360FGZ as a good allround flash for the Pentax. I've yet to find a non Pentax flash that is fully compatable with their cameras.
Stick to the Pentax ones and you should have no problems.

If you need digital darkroom lessone / tips try http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/learning.htm
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.

jps

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 18:38
I recently measured the trigger voltage of all my flashguns - the Pentax dedicated ones (Pentax, Cobra) came in at under 10 volts, an Osram non dedicated hammerhead was about 11 volts, and another 1970s one (Popular) was 16 volts. I've used all these on digital with no problems. I've got several small flashes (guide number of about 15) which I've used for macro photography on film, but these all measure around 300 volts (including a Jessops flash which is only a couple of years old). I haven't risked using these on digital, & I don't think it's a risk I'll take...

Jonathan

LiamD

Link Posted 04/04/2007 - 19:30
Hi Jonathon,

if you think the expense is justified, then you may want to look at one of these..

http://www.theflashcentre.com/wein-safe-sync-hotshoe-to-hotshoe-i358.html

It goes betwen the flash and hotshoe and regulates the voltage. Perfectly safe to use your other flashes then.. also has the pc connector, that is missing on the DSLR bodies.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

jps

Link Posted 05/04/2007 - 14:34
Hi Liam,

Thanks for that - it looks really useful, especially as it has a PC connection, which means I can use those little (high voltage) flashes for macro work on a flash bracket.

Jonathan

LiamD

Link Posted 05/04/2007 - 15:15
No problem..

shop around for a good price. I don't know if the link I gave is good or not.. it just served as illustration.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.