Joined then got burgled

phillipjclay

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 21:41
Joined the forum then got burgled. Took my K-3, 14mm, Sigma 30mm, 16-85, 18-55mm and much loved 10-17mm. Very sad as also took my son`s first camera too so have promised him an upgrade to K-7 or K-5. I did find 2 of my lenses on ebay and police returned Sigma 30mm and and 16-85mm so time to replace the others. I have looked around and decided to replace with Pentax as can`t quite match the quality with other brands. I have included some images taken with the kit before theft. Am currently looking to purchase a K-3 (and battery grip), K-5 or 7, 18-135mm, 10-17mm so if your selling very good condition kit give me a shout.
If you click on them it shows them right way up

Hello everyone fro sunny Leeds

JAK

Link Posted 01/05/2017 - 22:48
Ah dear. Shame the camera and other lenses didn't turn up too. You did well to spot the ones you did on eBay as one 16-85 looks pretty much like any other. Guess the low life were thinking that and expected no one to notice. Have you reported the theft to your insurance company as those still missing items may well be covered under general contents and it would appear you have police crime details to back up any claim.
Great photos too, is #2 Lake Windermere from Great Tower?
What was you son's camera, and is it he in #1?
John K

phillipjclay

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 00:04
Was all insured and got a good payout but nice to get my 2 favorites lenses back. The idiot who stole them sold them the morning after and I had serial numbers so police sorted it out. They got his name and photo ID from the shop he sold them to so hardly the brightest criminal about (warrant issued).
Photo 2 is Lochness but have no idea of location as me and my lady got lost trying to take a picture of the place we where staying in.
Thats my son in the first picture at Minehead, Love that picture! I,d got him a Nikon L340 but after seeing the photos he`d taken realised I should have bought he a proper DSLR and he`s only 8 so am going to treat him for his birthday

nocturnal

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 02:26
Nightmare but most criminals are daft that way, a lot of them even more brain fried with drug abuse then end up in jail which is a drug 'sweet shop'. It is getting really bad over here in Ireland, never used to be 'during the troubles', more troubles now than ever before!!!

Nice photo of the sea reflection on the main gallery, the clouds arch like the Milky Way.
"In a photographic context I don't like the use of the word 'shot' as where I live this word refers to an extreme act of violence and not the beautiful craft of photography"

RobL

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 09:03
Gut-wrenching to suffer burglary, I sympathise. I do question the wisdom of many members on all forums including this one of listing their equipment, in many cases it would be easy to trace their addresses from information given in profiles.

phillipjclay

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 12:09
Ironically I work with drug & alcohol uses for the NHS in Bradford so have direct contact with burglars but its still difficult. Had treat myself to a good camera after quitting smoking and now just wondering about replacing with second hand or starting again. Have fortified the door they came in and they would need a JCB to get back in. That photo was taken on the Isle of Skye which is worth a visit for any photographer especially the new bridge I,ll post one I took there after I upgrade.

nocturnal

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 12:11
RobL wrote:
Gut-wrenching to suffer burglary, I sympathise. I do question the wisdom of many members on all forums including this one of listing their equipment, in many cases it would be easy to trace their addresses from information given in profiles.

Indeed, Listing 40 grands work of lenses in your signature? Besides copying one another, why would you do that? No doubt it is an American import and goes like "My gear is better than your gear" which I find truly unartistic and frankly sick!!! 😫😫😫😫😫😫😫
"In a photographic context I don't like the use of the word 'shot' as where I live this word refers to an extreme act of violence and not the beautiful craft of photography"

nocturnal

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 12:14
No intention of offense, I was referring to materialism. A certain American is in my signature 😎

phillipjclay

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 13:42
Lets see who`s lens is the longest ha.

HarisF1

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 14:52
nocturnal wrote:
No intention of offense, I was referring to materialism. A certain American is in my signature 😎

That name was burning a hole in my brain for the past week or so. I finall6 googled it this morning and realised that I was aware of who he was all along.
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 02/05/2017 - 14:53

JAK

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 15:17
phillipjclay wrote:
Thats my son in the first picture at Minehead, Love that picture! I,d got him a Nikon L340 but after seeing the photos he`d taken realised I should have bought he a proper DSLR and he`s only 8 so am going to treat him for his birthday

While I'm sure you know best, might he not be better with one of the lighter 'proper' DSLRs such as a K-S1 or a K-S2? It'll give him something to aspire to still, i.e. getting a real 'pro' DSLR later like Dad's got! The photos those produce are just as good as Dad's camera only more portable! Lucky lad either way!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 02/05/2017 - 15:32

phillipjclay

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 19:36
Just looking at k-s1 and would probably suit him better. Am even thinking of k-s2 for me but really like and was starting to get the hang of k-3. Loved the weight especially with the sigma 30mm and grip.

JAK

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 20:59
I've got a K-S1 and often use either it or a MX-1 as its quite suited for carrying without being weighed down to much. I certainly like the K-3 and K-1 too but when they're in a bag for a shopping trip one thinks twice about taking them.
The K-S1 is also a little funky looking which your youngster might see as being more trendy!
Eight is certainly a good age to start to get to grips with exposure concepts and composition; so good on him for his interest and yourself for the encouragement.
John K

HarisF1

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 22:01
I would second the K-S1. It was the perfrct camera for my younger brother and allowed him to get into the game at a fairly low price point.

My advice would be to shop around and wait for the right deal. The K-S1 isn't as sought after as the others so you're likely to find it at cheaper price points.

It's up there in terms of quality with other Pentax cameras but was also seen as an ugly duckling in reviews.

JAK

Link Posted 02/05/2017 - 22:44
Actually got my K-S1 for an unbeatable 99 (brand new with lens and full two year guarantee) from a very well known department store. Must have been the camera bargain of the year, though as they had discontinued it they were glad to get rid!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 02/05/2017 - 22:45
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.