Is this really what PUP is for?

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 21:00
I think the benefits of PUP seem to be on par with the benefits of the old PU membership, with the quarterly magazine. However E-articles just aren't the same as having that physical magazine in your hand, for easy reference when the computer is offline, in the car, in bed, or 'in the smallest room'. And possibly seeing your images in print - for some of us the only chance we get!

I understand that the magazine subcription wasn't bringing in enough revenue to cover the website costs, but I wonder if perhaps some other model needs looking at, as people just don't find web-based articles worth paying for....
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 13/11/2011 - 21:01

greynolds999

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 21:23
I will renew my subscription because I am happy to support the site and the forum.

I just didn't like the fact that the article wasn't an article - it had no editorial content and was an advertisement designed to use affiliate links to generate money for Pentax User/Magezine Publishing.

As I say I do not object to the company making money, but think that advertisments should be clearly marked. The other articles are articles, this one was not. That was my concern.
My Photobucket

DrOrloff

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 21:23
Mannesty wrote:
DrOrloff wrote:
What are the best five lenses?

See this article.

I can't.

I would have quite happily subscribed to the magazine but then unfortunately it became defunct and the web content hasn't really enticed me yet. I think enabling unlimited uploads to the gallery has reduced its quality. I agree with the earlier getting involved comment, the membership would be better viewed on qualitative rather than quantitative criteria. I would happily donate to the site if it resulted in the magazine coming back.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

johnriley

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 22:21
I can't see the magazine coming back, unless the new Pentax Ricoh company want to pay for it, as it was I think costing money to produce.

There have always been unlimited uploads for PU subscribers, so nothing has changed in that respect, so I don't see how that in itself would affect quality.

The main value point of the PU membership for me is supporting the site so it can remain viable and also getting the 20% discount on servicing. There is something concrete to be gained by being a member.

The only thing that's difficult to quantify is the loss of the magazine, but then the subscription has been dramatically reduced.
Best regards, John

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 22:29
DrOrloff wrote:
Mannesty wrote:
Quote:
What are the best five lenses?

See this article.

I can't.

Quote:
Here are the Top 5 Best Pentax lenses reviewed by Pentax User:

1 SMC-FA Pentax 200mm f/2.8 ED (IF)

SMC-FA 200mm f/2.8 ED (IF) Pentax 200mm Sample Photo

A compact super-telephoto lens with a silent focusing motor, full time manual focus override, weather sealing and a bright f/2.8 maximum aperture. Buy now.

2 SMC Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited

SMC Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8

The 77mm is a hand assembled lens, made to the highest standards as is evident from its aluminium construction and the fine, precise quality of the engravings. Buy now.

3 SMC Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL

pentax-35mm-large

With a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 53.5mm, this is a modern version of a traditional standard lens. It is very well made using plastics that even extend to the mount. Buy now.

4 SMC Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited

pentax-31mm-large

The 31mm is beautifully constructed using high grade materials, with impeccable finish and engraving. The lens cap is deep and secures firmly, aided by its plush green velvet lining. Buy now.

5 SMC Pentax 70mm f/2.4 Limited Pancake

pentax-70mm-limited

This 70mm lens, designed for the digital SLR, is much more compact and machined out of aluminium to a very high standard. Buy now.

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 13/11/2011 - 22:40

johnriley

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 22:34
What you haven't included Peter is that there is then a link to the EPZ review of each lens.

In other words, it's a reminder to bring those reviews back to our attention.

Although there's nothing exciting about it if you've already read them, it might help newer members realise there are articles there to be read and guide them towards them.

The buy now is quite normal as it helps advertisers want to support the site. Every EPZ review has a link to enable us to buy.
Best regards, John

ChrisA

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 22:42
johnriley wrote:
The main value point of the PU membership for me is supporting the site so it can remain viable

I wonder how much it actually costs to run, though?

I ran a forum not that long ago, with another person, and we stumped up the 80 quid for a copy of vBulletin between us.

With my business partner, we have two servers online in a hosting company in Manchester, and for both of them, as well as a 100GB per month allowance each, we pay about 100 per month. We host about 25 web sites.

This site is hardly Amazon or Google, so I can't think it really costs all that much to run. Most of the images aren't even hosted here.

Quote:
and also getting the 20% discount on servicing. There is something concrete to be gained by being a member.

Ah, so there is a reason for the legendary Pentax QC these days...
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 22:48
The links didn't copy across John, only the text, and I'm not about to copy and paste the contents of each link.

The article proclaims that these are "the Top 5 Best Pentax lenses reviewed by Pentax User", but the list is limited to only the lenses reviewed, which is an incomplete list. There are many more that have not been reviewed.

Perhaps the heading was just poorly worded.

Why was it deemed necessary to add the 'Buy now' links at the end of each lens, which take you off to Amazon or WarehouseExpress? Curious, since SRS is supposed to be the official partner of this site.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

johnriley

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 22:50
Yes Chris, I run three other forums and pay for them, but there's just me and my son Mike doing it and the costs are low.

PU is part of a company that has premises and employs people. The team also custom made the site. This is a professional organisation with a professional organisation's costs and requirements to be profitable, so we are not talking about the same thing at all.

If you have constructive ideas then by all means put them in to the team for consideration.
Best regards, John

johnriley

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 22:53
Peter, your question has been asked before and the answer is that the company has many affiliations and no doubt different suppliers have different arrangements. I'm sure whoever wanted to be in a particular part of the site could negotiate to be so.

As for the lenses, then you get what it says on the tin.

Quote:
the Top 5 Best Pentax lenses reviewed by Pentax User

Best regards, John

ChrisA

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 23:04
johnriley wrote:
PU is part of a company that has premises and employs people. The team also custom made the site. This is a professional organisation with a professional organisation's costs and requirements to be profitable, so we are not talking about the same thing at all.

We're not, I agree. But it's the people here and their contributions that me make want to participate, not any loyalty to PU, since I'm not a PU customer, as far as I know.

PU presumably wrote the site with proprietary code rather than use an existing package, since they believed that it was beneficial to them. They're entirely at liberty to do that if they want, but there's no actual benefit to the members resulting from that decision. Indeed, at risk of opening old sores, quite the reverse might be argued.

I'd completely concede that to do what Adam and his team over the pond has done with vBulletin would not be cost or time free. But we don't have any of that, so I don't think the development cost argument is really relevant.

The bottom line is that you and Ken and Matt (or anyone else) could just as easily moderate a Pentax User forum that had nothing to do with Magezine. With the inevitable vested interests and consequential rules and terms that we seem to be forever at risk of falling foul of, I'm not sure it would be that bad an idea.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

johnriley

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 23:13
Well I'd argue that you are a PU customer Chris, you use a PU product (the forum) which is supplied to you at no charge.

The forum was written by IT as it is to enable certain functionality and gel with EPZ as well, so we may be using many advantageous features that we are unaware of.

As for the last point, it's purely academic as we have no intention of doing anything like that.
Best regards, John

greynolds999

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 09:57
johnriley wrote:
What you haven't included Peter is that there is then a link to the EPZ review of each lens.

Until you pointed that out I hadn't realised. The reason being that it wasn't obvous that the title was the link so it would have been handy if there had been a clear link (eg Click for the review).

If I had realised this I would never have objected so the topic would never have started!
My Photobucket

Don

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 13:55
hey, here's a macworld article link
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/11/2011 - 21:42
johnriley wrote:
Well I'd argue that you are a PU customer Chris, you use a PU product (the forum) which is supplied to you at no charge.

Now what is that saying .... ah yes, the customer is always right.
. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.