Is this really what PUP is for?

ChrisA

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 09:00
Let me Google that for you...
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Mike-P

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 09:24
Just type Pentaxforums.
. My Flickr

greynolds999

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 09:45
I don't think that Pentax Forums is a big secret. Many of the members here are members on both.
My Photobucket

johnriley

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 10:21
Yes, and you're welcome to be members of both, so no need to feel like naughty boys and girls.
Best regards, John

GeorgesM

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:05
I don't realy care for the PUPmembership "benefits".It's a little bit pathetic.
I paid my 10 to support the homly britishness of that charming forum.
It feels like PUPub and I'd like to buy the next round of drinks.
May be you have to be non-british like me to see it thru my eyes.

Regards and Love
George

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:07
johnriley wrote:
Yes, and you're welcome to be members of both, so no need to feel like naughty boys and girls.

I think you've missed the point entirely John. I certainly don't feel naughty.

Have you not yet twigged that more and more people are exploring other forums, and some eventually leave here altogether.

Perhaps the team needs to ask themselves why, and start making some changes for the better.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

DrOrloff

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:10

GeorgesM

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:15
Leica,Zeis,Shneider,Nikon,Canon

Or not?!

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:16
DrOrloff wrote:
What are the best five lenses?

See this article.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

johnriley

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:17
There are lots of things that have been done here to try and make things better for everyone and offer new functionality. The basic reason for being here is to give Pentax Users a place to discuss and learn more about their Pentax cameras/lenses and photography.

The discussion forum is intended as a safe environment where people won't be jumped on for asking a question that's been asked before and where help is at hand. The content of the forum depends on what the members write, so the team have no input over that. If people write good stuff the forum will be filled with good stuff.

The rest of the site is an editorial area, so ideas should be sent by PM to PentaxDan, who co-ordinates. From time to time the editorial team ask for suggestions, so that's always a good moment to put in some sensible ideas. Unfortunately the last time there was an opportunity the thread descended rapidly into nonesense, so then it's more difficult to make something positive out of it.

As for traffic, this forum has never been busier, which is great, but we all look at many different places on the internet and that's also great. There's room for everyone.
Best regards, John

davem

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 11:19
I think that we should have some regional 'workshops' with the PU team to look at the way forward for PU and PU plus. This could also be replicated on line for our international members.

The site seems to have moved away from where it was a few years ago which is a shame. At the moment I will not go into details as that will only start the online dicussion off again. Lets just say there are some great people here including the moderators and the behind the scenes team. Working together that would be a powerful think tank!

I would be very happy to be involved.

Dave

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 19:10
johnriley wrote:
There are lots of things that have been done here to try and make things better for everyone and offer new functionality.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to let the membership know what these changes are so that we might give some feedback and feel a little involved with the development of the site.

Apart from being notified of downtime due to maintenance, I have no clue what's being changed for my, or others, benefit.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

ChrisA

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 19:34
davem wrote:
I think that we should have some regional 'workshops' with the PU team to look at the way forward for PU and PU plus. This could also be replicated on line for our international members.

Sorry, but I think this is a really bad idea.

We want to know what people think? Well, we already have a perfectly good medium for debate, where all affected people are able to join in the discussion, listen to others' points of view, and after honest exchange of views, be appraised of the decisions reached by those actually running the thing.

It's called the Pentax User (.co.uk) Forum, and if it's good enough for our international members, it's good enough for the rest of us.

What we definitely do not need, IMO, is an undemocratic, behind-closed-doors, series of regional get-togethers, requiring tons of organisation, where only the people that happen to be free at the time can participate.

If anything, what we need is for the people that actually run the forum, to be more active participants in the forum.

Then perhaps they'd have their finger on the actual pulse, rather than popping in for a flying visit when some real crisis hits. And we could have actual discussions with them, hear their actual points of view - and tell them ours.

Then they'd no longer be faceless overlords, rather actual people, subject to the same frustrations and conflicting priorities as the rest of us.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

davex

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 19:51
Quote:
we need is for the people that actually run the forum, to be more active participants in the forum

Agree, up to a point.

But sureley something is being missed in all this debate;

What is the purpose of Pentax User? presumably it is to offer enough content that users keep coming back to it, this then is the reason for advertisers to pay to advertise. If people do not like or aprove of the way the forum is run the the answer is simple, go somewhere else.

What is the value of PUP, the original post has been forgotten, does PUP give value for money, personally I think not, and I shall not be renewing my membership.

I will however be happy to continue as a "normal" PU member, fully aware that the site is a business.

Regards,

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

coker

Link Posted 13/11/2011 - 20:53
Quote;

"What is the value of PUP, the original post has been forgotten, does PUP give value for money, personally I think not, and I shall not be renewing my membership.

I will however be happy to continue as a "normal" PU member, fully aware that the site is a business."

I concur.

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.