Is Pentax about to fold?

loweswood

Link Posted 05/11/2009 - 22:25
I have an istDs which is playing up. I want to upgrade so I went to Cameramarts in Middlesbrough and was told.
1. The current products weren't very good.
2. Quote, "I wouldn't buy a Pentax"
3. They all come from France now, big problem.
4. My flashgun wouldn't work with any Pentax I bought now.
5. Don't know how much longer they will continue for.

I thought this was supposed to be a big store and I travelled there as I can't see Pentax at Jessops now. Perhaps he wanted to sell me something else? But there was only one DSLR in the store, a second hand Fuji. I couldn't believe my eyes or ears.

Have I got it all wrong or should I change brands which I've been with since 1978.

just thought this would make a change from the usual Jessops rants... whom I've always thought quite reasonable .

PS Please spell 'recieve notifications' correctly!

johnriley

Link Posted 05/11/2009 - 22:40
1. They are excellent
2. I would and have and would again
3. France is the new european HQ, makes no difference.
4. Yes it would
5. Long enough for us all I'm sure!

Hope that helps. If you want to buy Pentax then SRS are a great source of supply.
Best regards, John

Greytop

Link Posted 05/11/2009 - 22:47
Firstly welcome to the forum

Secondly I have to say 'Cameramarts' are priceless, somebody should sign them up as a comedy act
I just had a gander at their website here... you have to wonder what they are playing at, not a single D-SLR listed for sale

In answer to your question. Myself, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another Pentax. You really shouldn't have any concerns at all, they are still making excellent cameras
Regards Huw

flickr

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 05/11/2009 - 22:51
1. The current products weren't very good.
2. Quote, "I wouldn't buy a Pentax"
3. They all come from France now, big problem.
4. My flashgun wouldn't work with any Pentax I bought now.
5. Don't know how much longer they will continue for.

1. The K-7 and the K-x are the best cameras Pentax have made in the digital age
2. Shops make bigger profit margins on certain products, you do the math. Also, there are always canikon fanboys about.
3. Huh?
4. I know people on this forum and others that have used 20yr old flashes on current cameras.
5. If Hoya sell them, then someone else (JVC, maybe Panasonic) will buy them.

Unfortunately, not knowing the north-east too well, I can't advise you on any camera shops in the area.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M

bforbes

Link Posted 05/11/2009 - 22:55
I was going to say welcome, but I see you have been here longer than most.
Anyway have you tried Charles Eagles at Sunderland they are supposed to be a Pentax Pro dealer?
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

fatspider

Link Posted 05/11/2009 - 22:58
Quote:
5. Don't know how much longer they will continue for

I dont think this last reply was aimed at Pentax.....

Quote:
But there was only one DSLR in the store, a second hand Fuji.

It was obviously aimed at themselves

Welcome to the forum loweswood, stick with Pentax and you'll benefit from the best part of owning a Pentax, and that is being a member of this forum
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Hardgravity

Link Posted 05/11/2009 - 23:21
The guy in the shop was talking out of his a**e!

Pentax products are amongst the best (if not the best) on the market.

Ignore this idiot and get a brand new K-x or K7, you wont regret it.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 05/11/2009 - 23:30
bforbes wrote:
I was going to say welcome, but I see you have been here longer than most.
Anyway have you tried Charles Eagles at Sunderland they are supposed to be a Pentax Pro dealer?

I was going to suggest Charles Eagles - they have a shop in durham too
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M

davidtrout

Link Posted 06/11/2009 - 09:36
As Barrie says Charles Eagles, whose main shop is in Sunderland, sell Pentax and they also have a shop in Durham if that's nearer to you. Its in the The Gates Shopping Centre, formerly known as Millburngate Shopping Centre.
PS Welcome to taking part in The Forum, although I see you've been a member longer than I have.
davide
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

chesser

Link Posted 06/11/2009 - 09:50
I was talking to a guy in Jacobs who said that Jessops didn't drop Pentax it was the other way around as Jessops owed them money.

He did say that Jacobs still use Pentax but they are not good at providing stock for shops but he certainly recommended them as a good brand to buy, personally I always used Pentax for SLR, I purchased a K200D which was a great entry level DSLR and have now moved to a K7 which rocks!

Chesser
K7
DA 18-55 WR
DA 55-200mm WR
Pentax SMC 50mm f1.4

sam-joseph

Link Posted 06/11/2009 - 09:53
Pentax are still plugging away and from what I can see, are on the verge of another golden era, similar to what they had with their film cameras back in the 70's/80's. In short, they are really starting to get their s*** together. Their new models - K-X, and K-7 are excellent cameras, and if the jaded photographic press can get their heads out of their A**** long enough to realise that there are BETTER options than Nikon/Canon around, then we might see some unbiased reports placing Pentax products further up the rankings. Stick with Pentax. They are kind of unique. They have a unique appeal, and the models seem to last longer than the other manufacturers who roll out new models every six months and completely forget about the previous ones. If you follow this site, you'll see that the members are followers of a brand, not brainwashed by marketing techniques. That's my rant. Hope it helps.
Sam-Joseph
Pentax K7, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Sigma 70-300 APO, Sigma 1.4x TC, Vivitar 2x TC. Takumar 135mm f2.5, SMC Pentax A 50mm 1:1.7, SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, Pentax X70

Thordell

Link Posted 06/11/2009 - 13:08
Think that events subsequent to Jessops and Pentax parting company rather points to Pentax wanting their bills paid. They, Pentax, may also wish that those selling their equipment had some idea and interest in the product they were selling.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500

polchraine

Link Posted 06/11/2009 - 13:18
Hardgravity wrote:

How could he? With his head stuck so far up his own a**e it would ber impossible!
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

vic cross

Link Posted 06/11/2009 - 13:29
Digital Photo / Practical Photography. Gear of the Year 2009. Best advanced DSLR. PENTAX K7. NUFF SAID. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 06/11/2009 - 13:41
polchraine wrote:
Hardgravity wrote:

How could he? With his head stuck so far up his own a**e it would ber impossible!

That,s why he was....
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.