Is Pentax about to fold?

Smeggypants
Posted 10/11/2009 - 06:07 Link
loweswood wrote:
I have an istDs which is playing up. I want to upgrade so I went to Cameramarts in Middlesbrough and was told.
1. The current products weren't very good.
2. Quote, "I wouldn't buy a Pentax"
3. They all come from France now, big problem.
4. My flashgun wouldn't work with any Pentax I bought now.
5. Don't know how much longer they will continue for.

I thought this was supposed to be a big store and I travelled there as I can't see Pentax at Jessops now. Perhaps he wanted to sell me something else? But there was only one DSLR in the store, a second hand Fuji. I couldn't believe my eyes or ears.

Have I got it all wrong or should I change brands which I've been with since 1978.

just thought this would make a change from the usual Jessops rants...
I wouldn't believe the nonsense spewed by one lackey in a camera shop.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Pwynnej
Posted 10/11/2009 - 13:29 Link
'He' if he had a brain cell wouldn't be working in a camera shop..

on the other hand Chis knows his Animal Rescue Squad from his elbow...

One will survive, the other won't...

there are many good dealers around that are Pro Dealers, Park are one, SRS are another, plenty of recommendations from here. I do encourage people to use their local dealer but if they act like cameramarts then they will not flourish
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon, and a Canon T70.
Don
Posted 10/11/2009 - 14:53 Link
Pwynnej wrote:
'He' if he had a brain cell wouldn't be working in a camera shop..

on the other hand Chis knows his Animal Rescue Squad from his elbow...

One will survive, the other won't...

there are many good dealers around that are Pro Dealers, Park are one, SRS are another, plenty of recommendations from here. I do encourage people to use their local dealer but if they act like cameramarts then they will not flourish
Might just as well go to Hollywood to get acting advice from a waitress a at greasy spoon... sure she thinks she's an actress.....but...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
imagesteve
Posted 10/11/2009 - 18:00 Link
As a retailer in the photographic industry allow me to explain. We are talking about SPIV'S (Special Product Incentve Value). A salesman will earn points for selling a specific product being it N...n or C...n. Some salesmen will even promote a sub standard product simply because he can earn more SPIV points which means more money in his pocket. Believe me when I say that Pentax is not sub standard, in fact it will kick a lot of butts very hard. The K10D wasn't the camera of the year in 2007, winning three awards for nothing. It is a milestone well earned.
2x K10D bodies, 2x FA 28-200 3.8-5.6, DA 18-55, A 50 F2, 50mm Macro, 360 FGZ. Still saving for the 60-250 DA* Also have a Z10 35mm and a K1000 just for fun. IF PENTAX IS THE ANSWER, WHO CARES WHAT THE QUESTION IS...!
Quote:
golfdiesel
Posted 10/11/2009 - 19:22 Link
Mannesty wrote:
Th *istDS uses both TTL and P-TTL Mike.

I just had a look at cameramarts web site. Did anybody spot that they are using an image of a Pentax camera for their DSLR pages? Shame they haven't got any DSLR's for sale . . . from any maker.
Take a better look at the website to find something funny...

On the main site there is a button D-SLR's, look closely at the "button"...




For the lazy people, here it is
Comment Image
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo