Interesting discussion on TWIP podcast

JonSchick

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 10:00
Just been listening to an episode of This Week in Photo podcast on my way up to Leeds this morning. These guys are major Canikon addicts which makes the discussion all the more interesting.... Key points:

A feeling that mirrorless is now getting good enough to replace lower end dSLRs (top end m43 plus Fuji and Sony)

A suggestion that unless you already have already bought into an existing system, the very high end FF cameras are going to become increasingly irrelevant for anyone other than speed merchant press/sports photographers. In future mirrorless FF developments building on what Sony has begun with the A7 will provide the image quality....

.....and ther specific quote was "why buy a D4s when for a small additional cost you could head to digital medium format and buy into the Pentax 645D". Followed by a bit more chat suggesting medium format may be due for something of a renaissance....

Maybe Ricoh/Pentax are being quite canny.....
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

gartmore

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 13:54
That's very interesting Jon.

Two of my Pro friends gave up on mirror cameras a couple of years ago, one for Leica and Fuji and the other is sponsored by a manufacturer. I believe that for many photographers there is room for all sorts of cameras depending on the task in hand.

I've used 5x4, tlr, slr and rangefinder. My studio workhorse is a K20d but if someone was asking for billboard size I'd be hiring a Mamiya with a Leaf back. Horses for courses
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.