Auto Focus Stacking

pentaxian450

Link Posted 15/03/2014 - 20:22
I think it would be nice if Pentax could use the micro focus adjustment for focus bracketing. It would make focus stacking a lot easier. Maybe it could be implemented in a firmware update.

It could be another "first" for Pentax.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 15/03/2014 - 20:28
...That would be useful, and I suppose it would be possible as the sensor moves around anyway...
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group

Mannesty

Link Posted 15/03/2014 - 22:47
pentaxian450 wrote:
I think it would be nice if Pentax could use the micro focus adjustment for focus bracketing. It would make focus stacking a lot easier. Maybe it could be implemented in a firmware update.

Agreed, and it's something I mentioned over three years ago. Still not happened yet and it could be so easy.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

sbrads

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 08:57
They could also automate micro focus adjustment and make it variable across a zoom's focal range, but no, they haven't.

gwing

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 09:06
Mannesty wrote:
pentaxian450 wrote:

Agreed, and it's something I mentioned over three years ago. Still not happened yet and it could be so easy.

No, no no.

That would work fine for lenses that focus adjust to a mid value but what about all the folks having to set +10 etc. for their lenses? They would now all want returns to get lens/body combinations that work better with focus bracketing and negate the whole point of Pentax offering focus adjustment in the first place.

But I can't see any reason why focus bracketing would need or benefit
from the micro-focus adjustment mechanism. Pentax, and anyone else, could simply implement focus bracket with steps of the AF motor if they wanted.

dpm

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 09:19
SR doesn't work in the Z-axis. Surely any focus bracketing would be done by offsetting the AF motor anyway?

gwing

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 10:20
dpm wrote:
SR doesn't work in the Z-axis. Surely any focus bracketing would be done by offsetting the AF motor anyway?

We were talking about using the lens micro focus adjust facility for stacking automation rather, nothing to do with SR.

As you say, at the end of the day, whatever the controlling logic is, focus stacking is going to have to either use the AF motor or it's human counterpart.

dpm

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 10:51
betty's post mentioned the sensor moving.

gwing

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 11:08
dpm wrote:
betty's post mentioned the sensor moving.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with focusing.

(Unless you have a 45 degree mirror in front of your lens. When it might. Marginally. Perhaps).

ambient housewife

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 18:06
What we need is Pentax support with something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HeliconSoft.HeliconRemote2&hl=...

gwing

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 18:35
ambient housewife wrote:
What we need is Pentax support with something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HeliconSoft.HeliconRemote2&hl=...

Well we may possibly get it, maybe even better, and maybe free.

There have been some breakthroughs on hacking the Pentax firmware, initially on the K30, to enable debug functions and tethering and in the future possibly open it up to the point where a port of Magic Lantern might be possible. All of which seems extremely attractive if you don't have a K3 and Flu card.

I won't post links to the other forum but PM me if interested.

Algernon

Link Posted 16/03/2014 - 20:27
ambient housewife wrote:

$200 I don't think many would buy that for Pentax

I'm sure Canon can be controlled with just a script.

Pentax do have everything in the camera to control the focus
remotely it's used to by their own repair software to check the
micro focus adjustment etc., just not available to the public.
They can even change the micro focus adjustment value
remotely.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 16/03/2014 - 20:29

ambient housewife

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 18:30
Algernon wrote:

Where did you get that figure from? The remote app is free if you are happy with jpg or $48 if you want to focus stack raw images. There are free stacking software products as Pentax users tend to be 'frugal' (apart from LBA sufferes), but even if they put it in a firmware hack, you would still need to look at a software stacking program.

gwing

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 19:15
ambient housewife wrote:
Algernon wrote:

Where did you get that figure from? The remote app is free if you are happy with jpg or $48 if you want to focus stack raw images. There are free stacking software products as Pentax users tend to be 'frugal' (apart from LBA sufferes), but even if they put it in a firmware hack, you would still need to look at a software stacking program.

Our Canon and Nikon friends can use the existing open source and free Magic Lantern software to provide a powerful remote control interface (which happens to include includes focus stacking). The firmware hack work is in part aiming to open up an interface on Pentax bodies that Magic Lantern can use - it isn't the availability of stacking software that is the problem, it is the ability to use it with our Pentax bodies which we are missing.

Algernon

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 20:08
The $200 to $240 is off the Helicon website for an unlimited licence.

Canon have a Digital Camera Software Developers Kit (SDK)
which used to be free (I'm sure it still is).

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/sdk_homepage

There seems to be a good selection of methods to focus step the shots... CHDK is one and this page has a script for use with a free Autokey program.

http://www.breezesys.co.uk/DSLRRemotePro/focus_stacking.htm

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 17/03/2014 - 20:09
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.