Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Insect invasion

gartmore
Posted 06/09/2012 - 11:46 Link
Does anyone have any ideas, short of phoning Rentokil, for removing the insects that have set up home in my k20d.

It is mildly amusing but quite distracting to watch a mad game of space invaders on the focussing screen.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Dodge69
Posted 06/09/2012 - 12:11 Link
LOL weird. My first thought was bug bomb, a few suggestions here

link
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
dougf8
Posted 06/09/2012 - 12:15 Link
You need to tempt them out. Dead bodies in the camera would be an issue.
Lurking is shirking.!
JAK
Posted 06/09/2012 - 12:18 Link
That's strange, I've heard they can get in your PC screen too!

John

Comment Image
John K
snappychappy
Posted 06/09/2012 - 12:31 Link
JAK wrote:
That's strange, I've heard they can get in your PC screen too!

John

Comment Image

gartmore
Posted 06/09/2012 - 12:33 Link
Ho ho ho!

They don't move quite that fast and seem to have horns, they also come in daddy, mummy and baby sizes. I'm not making this up
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
gartmore
Posted 06/09/2012 - 12:39 Link
Dodge69 wrote:
LOL weird. My first thought was bug bomb, a few suggestions here

link

Some interesting comments there, the temperature here is 32C so perhaps the unusual, for them, environment has brought them out of hibernation. I think I'll try freezing them when home
Ken
JAK
Posted 06/09/2012 - 13:00 Link
I had some mini creatures in my ME some time ago. They went of their own accord eventually. I also had a grasshopper jump in too while changing lenses. That's taking macro photography to the extreme!

Freezing the camera may just do the trick (but could it get damaged doing that?) If it proves successful you might still have to do it several times to break the life cycle of whatever it is.

John
John K
Edited by JAK: 06/09/2012 - 13:13
piotro
Posted 06/09/2012 - 16:00 Link
Show them some Canon camera, they may choose "better" home .
So weatherproof, but not insect proof?
Edited by piotro: 06/09/2012 - 16:02
nass
Posted 06/09/2012 - 17:15 Link
Airtight box with nail varnish remover on tissue in small glass container
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Don
Posted 06/09/2012 - 17:38 Link
I'd try two things..
use your rocket blower to suck them up..
or set your camera sans lens into an airtight container with a lightsource and perhaps some fly paper to lure them out and trap them.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Frogfish
Posted 06/09/2012 - 19:36 Link
gartmore wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas, short of phoning Rentokil, for removing the insects that have set up home in my k20d.

It is mildly amusing but quite distracting to watch a mad game of space invaders on the focussing screen.

ROFL ! Hope you manage to get the little blighters out Ken
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
davem
Posted 06/09/2012 - 19:56 Link
I had a similar problems the Highlands two weeks ago. I was helping a friend with some filming for his research. We were in Glen Nevis when the hordes of bity things descended

We had to rush the work and head out fast. Our combination of bog mytrle, DEET and skin so soft hardly kept the evil ones from biting.

An hour later we were filming again in Glencoe when my friend complained of midges on the lens of his camera. I said get on with the job - its time for tea. He carried on moaning about the midges and I realised that there were none flying around. Yes the little horrors had get inside the video camera lens system Well MR Grumpy was very Grumpy all night. No more research filming/time wasted/have to return home you can imagine the situation.Only beer saved the night.

The next morning no midges on the lens! Missing presumed deceased! I still can't work out how they got behind the fromt element of the lens. Fotunatelt it was notmy camera
jemx99
Posted 06/09/2012 - 23:59 Link
Many many moons ago I had some tiny critters walking around in the viewfinder of my SLR film camera of the time -a Zenith or a Fuji can't remember which - think I remember reading somewhere to put the camera in the gas oven (just gas - not lit) for a (very)short while. I tried different solutions but that was the only one that worked. This solution not recommended for smokers!!!
gartmore
Posted 07/09/2012 - 11:27 Link
I knew midges were evil but not quite that evil!

davem wrote:
I had a similar problems the Highlands two weeks ago. I was helping a friend with some filming for his research. We were in Glen Nevis when the hordes of bity things descended

We had to rush the work and head out fast. Our combination of bog mytrle, DEET and skin so soft hardly kept the evil ones from biting.

An hour later we were filming again in Glencoe when my friend complained of midges on the lens of his camera. I said get on with the job - its time for tea. He carried on moaning about the midges and I realised that there were none flying around. Yes the little horrors had get inside the video camera lens system Well MR Grumpy was very Grumpy all night. No more research filming/time wasted/have to return home you can imagine the situation.Only beer saved the night.

The next morning no midges on the lens! Missing presumed deceased! I still can't work out how they got behind the fromt element of the lens. Fotunatelt it was notmy camera

This problem seems to be much more common than I thought
Ken

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.