Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Ink Jet flow systems

damperman
Posted 18/03/2013 - 19:45 Link
I use a Epson R3000. It's a really nice printer, but the ink costs are expensive. Does anyone use the ink flow systems, and are they recommended, or would it be better to use the original's.
strumstrum
Posted 18/03/2013 - 19:51 Link
I don't but I know someone who uses a permajet system, they did all the profiles for him and he gets excellent results. I was really impessed but sadly not available for Canon Pro 9000 else I would have given it a try.
bettyswolloks
Posted 18/03/2013 - 20:14 Link
I've got an inflow system fitted to my canon ix6550, I'd recommend it all day long
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
damperman
Posted 18/03/2013 - 20:29 Link
I use permajet paper, so been looking at their ink flow systems. Just a bit concerned about the quality compared to Epson.
grahamwalton
Posted 18/03/2013 - 20:35 Link
I have an Epson 3800 and use it with a Permajet ink system and Permajet Ink. It gives a big reduction in operating costs and colours as good as Epson inks.
Friendly Regards
Graham
damperman
Posted 18/03/2013 - 20:46 Link
Thanks for the replies, it's good to get the reviews from other users. Cheers.
gwing
Posted 18/03/2013 - 21:43 Link
I've used a couple of continuous flow systems. First on Canon then on Epson where I was a bit more ambitious and used the pigment inks as well. If you print a lot on a small printer flow systems are the only way to go (unless you are much richer than me and can stand the cartridge costs). I print infrequently and should have known better than to get the Epson as, however good they print, the new one blocked up nozzles beyond belief, just like the older Epson models I have had before.

I had no problem with the ink quality (though obviously there are both good and ugly out there) nor with the colours (except 3rd part inks mean you need to be able to generate your own profiles, or buy them, or use one of the deals to get a custom profile along with paper purchase). I've since thrown all my inkjet kit away now though and use commercial printing (DSCL are great if you use their colour managed service). I looked down on commercial printing for years and preferred to roll my own - but I don't mind saying I was wrong, badly wrong
fatspider
Posted 19/03/2013 - 13:47 Link
My last printer, Epson R300 was bought at a computer market along with a cheap continuous ink system (the guy even fit it for me while I browsed the rest of the market) it lasted about 5-6 years and cost me about £25 in ink over that period, I had no problem with colours on the prints and although they wouldn't stand up to been displayed on a wall the ones kept away from the light are as good as the day they were printed.

When I upgraded to my Epson 1400 I decided to opt for the Permajet system, the "build" quality of the Permajet is decidedly tacky in comparison to the cheap one on my R300 which had a self contained unit consisting of the 6 ink tanks, the Permajet is simply plastic bottles in a rather flimsy plastic tray, I almost threw it away thinking it was cheap packaging and refilling the bottles is a pain in the ass, you have to unscrew the half full bottle from the lid NOT the other way round, I have also had several problems with blockages but the Permajet head cleaning system does work very well (yes you have to buy that separately)

Having said that, the Permajet inks themselves are very good and produce some suberb prints using the standard Epson profile, I did try loading the generic profiles supplied with the system but the results were terrible.

With hindsight I would have bought a cheap ink system and replaced the inks with Permajets.

PS: Permajet papers are very good too.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.