Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:43
Will be grateful if readers can give me information on the following:
1. Is the case for the K2 the same as that of the K1000
2. When did Pentax started using "Plastic Body", did it start with the P30
Regards

Oso

womble

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:49
1. Errrr, probably. The first K series cameras where very similar in size to the spotties. The big change came with the M series. Someone with a K2 (Danger mouse, where are you? ) will know better than I.

2. AFAIK, plastic bodies did come in with the P series, although the A3/A3000 feels pretty plasticy too.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnriley

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 18:54
It depends what you mean by plastic body. The chassis of Pentax SLRs continued to be metal for a long time after the outer cases were plastic. The real plastic revolution started with some of the innards of the ME/MX series, but plastic outside shells came with the A series.
Best regards, John

Dangermouse

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 19:44
I'm here!

I remember being told that the K2 case was different, although I haven't actually compared my K1000 to Dad's K2 to check how they differ. If you just want a case to protect a K2 then look at the Lowepro Reso cases, as the genuine Pentax case seems hard to find.

The K1000, KX and KM can all use the same cases (as can the Spotmatic). The original Spotmatic case is genuine leather, this was then changed to a crinkled pretend leather for the KM/KX (and a similar case for the K2) before a more squared-off case was offered for the K1000 later on. I have one of the Spotmatic and KM cases with the correct cameras in them, so I can post a photo if that would make things clearer?

The ME and MX were probably the last Pentaxes with metal top and baseplates, after that they began to use chromed plastic top plates and when they got to the P series both top and baseplate were plastic. I'm not sure about the LX though - I'd imagine that was all-metal too? The cameras retained a metal chassis for many years, which is after all what matters.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

womble

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 20:16
The LX is all metal.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Jetsam1

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 20:58
How about the Super A/Program A? My black Super A doesn't feel mettalic, though is heavy enough?
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Dangermouse

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 21:27
AFAIK the top plate of the Super A/Super Program/Program A is plastic, while the baseplate and camera chassis are metal. I know I was able to re-glue the skylight which illuminates the viewfinder LCD on mine using a plastic solvent-type glue intended for ABS.
Matt

Oso

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 21:33
Hi All,
Many thanks for your valued information, saw an advertisment for a K1000 case and am thinking of getting it for my K2. Am I correct to say that since the K2, KX, KM & K1000 all came out about the same period, perhaps their dimensions are about the same, plus or minus a couple of mm. The photo of the case for sale has no specific marking, just Asahi Pentax in front cover, can it be that the K series share the same case.
Thank you dangermouse, a photo of your KM with the case will be greatly appreciated. When out on my ramblings, I usually like to use only the lower half of the case for ease of picture taking as well as giving the back some form of protection.
Seen also a Super A for sale and hoping that the top and botton plate are of metal, Hove Collector's Guide does not mention anything about it.
Best Regards
Oso

Dangermouse

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 22:57
My Super A top plate is definitely plastic, although the baseplate and camera chassis are metal. It doesn't seem to make much difference to their robustness judging by the number still out there. Find a nice condition one and enjoy it, they're very flexible cameras. Mine is currently loaded with Ilford Delta 3200 film as it's one of only four bodies I own which can meter that high (and its illuminated LCD shutter speed display is better than the KX/KM/K1000 in the lighting conditions ASA3200 film would be desirable for).

Pentax didn't bother marking the cases for specific bodies back then, as far as I know all the K series have the same basic dimensions (the KM and KX are both effectively upgraded Spotmatic Fs while the K2 is different as it has the electronic shutter). The K2 definitely uses a different case to the KM/KX though. I will double check the precise differences tomorrow when I can get my hands on a K2 for a few minutes.

The KM, KX and K2 all appeared in 1975 and (officially) lasted until 1977, although I know many were sold after that date with M series lenses. The K1000 was intended to be a cheaper version of the KM, lacking the self timer, DOF preview and second flash sync socket of the original it was launched in 1976 and went on until 1997.

I use the rear half of the case for the same reason, but also find it makes the camera more comfortable to use in cold weather as leatherette is much easier on the fingers than cold brass!
Matt

Last Edited by Dangermouse on 15/07/2011 - 23:01

doingthebobs

Link Posted 15/07/2011 - 23:28
If my Super A has a plastic top plate it must have brass under the plastic as I have brassing on the top of the prism!

My Super A has been up many mountains, travelled to many countries over the years. Still going fine.
Bob
Last Edited by doingthebobs on 15/07/2011 - 23:31

Dangermouse

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 09:01
Mine has the same thing, but I was able to reglue the little opaque plastic window using plastic glue (which wouldn't have worked on metal).

The part definitely feels like plastic when compared to that on my black Pentax ME (the black ones are painted rather than electroplated, I'd expect a chrome one to feel different). I think Pentax must have plated the plastic with a brassy substance first and then painted it black, presumably so it would look like brassing when the paint wears at the corners.
Matt

Algernon

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 11:26
I've got two Super A's and one of them is worn on one corner below the brassing. It looks like plastic..... sort of Vaseline coloured.

The black finish possibly couldn't be applied directly to plastic.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Dangermouse

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 14:07
Back to the other original question, here's my KM and its case:

These cases are not the easiest to lay hands on, but aside from the strap that outfit is correct. The lens is the 55/1.8 which was one of the kit lenses for the KM, although the components didn't come into my possession together. The KM came with a Spotmatic case, Super Tak 35/3.5 and M42 adapter ring. Said case and lens are now reunited with a tidy Spotmatic and original leather strap (a dealer sticker in the case dating from before the KM's release suggested that the original owner had replaced a broken Spotty with the KM). I already had the 55/1.8 so decided to track down an original case to complete the KM.

The K2 and KX/KM/K1000 cannot share a case as the K2's tripod socket is about 5mm further to one side than that of the other three. I've just held a KX and K2 side by side to check this.
Matt

Oso

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 15:45
Great, Thanks Dangermouse for saving me from buying the wrong case, will have to wait until a K2 case comes along.
If you are shooting around Llangynidr you may bum into my son, Regards

Hye

Dangermouse

Link Posted 16/07/2011 - 22:51
Not entirely sure where that is, unfortunately!

On a vaguely related note I think I may have tracked down an MX ERC, or at least the back half of one. It comes with what looked to be a minty MX and a Pentax lens of some sort (guessing M 50/1.7 as that seems to have been the most common), a flash, a light meter and a gadget bag. £50 including P&P on an ebay charity sale, which I thought very fair!

My existing MX (which looks like it took on a bear in unarmed combat) will now be the indestructible backup body, fitted with a 50/2 and taken into all sorts of situations where I wouldn't risk anything newer or more valuable. That's assuming the new one is as good as it looks and works properly, of course.
Matt

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.