Images must be from a Pentax/Samsung camera...

terje-l

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 12:11
From a few comments in various threads in this forum, the following question arises:

Is the requirement to use a Pentax or Samsung camera as writtten in stone for the whole forum?

I understand (and respect) the rule as far as competitions and Your Photos are concerned. But what about to illustrate a technical issue, or to present an item for sale in the Classified Adverts section?

Perhaps the Pentax User Team could clarify this?
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

womble

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 12:17
I have often wondered this. As long as people are sensible about it I don't see why there should be a problem outside the comps and Your Photos. The one thing I would want to avoid is yet more dull Pentax v. other marques "my gear is better than your gear" style arguments but with pictures.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

terje-l

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 12:26
Exactly, Kris

It is annoying to see an item offered for sale, with a "cannot show photo, since it is not taken with a Pentax" attached.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

JonSchick

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 12:31
May be I've got this wrong, but my assumption for classifieds in particular is that people want to see pictures of what you are trying to sell, and aren't going to be so interested in whether those pictures were taken with a Pentax camera?
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

robbie_d

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 12:34
terje-l wrote:
Exactly, Kris

It is annoying to see an item offered for sale, with a "cannot show photo, since it is not taken with a Pentax" attached.

I know exactly what you mean...
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

Mongoose

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 12:46
it is my impression and experience that the mods on this forum are very reasonable and quite laid back (certainly by comparison to other forums I have participated in). I therefore find it very unlikely that John Riley or any of the others has the time or inclination to sift through the EXIF of every photo in the classifieds section checking that they were all taken with a Pentax.

In Your Photos and especially the comps things are obviously different, but TBH if I were a mod I'd find it mildly insulting that anyone would think me anal enough to even consider enforcing that rule in classifieds.

If you're bothered, just "save for web" your classified photos. That will remove the EXIF and then who's to know what camera took the shot.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

robbie_d

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 12:51
Mongoose wrote:
it is my impression and experience that the mods on this forum are very reasonable and quite laid back (certainly by comparison to other forums I have participated in). I therefore find it very unlikely that John Riley or any of the others has the time or inclination to sift through the EXIF of every photo in the classifieds section checking that they were all taken with a Pentax.

In Your Photos and especially the comps things are obviously different, but TBH if I were a mod I'd find it mildly insulting that anyone would think me anal enough to even consider enforcing that rule in classifieds.

If you're bothered, just "save for web" your classified photos. That will remove the EXIF and then who's to know what camera took the shot.

It's not always the mods that take issue with things.

Apparently.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 13:17
Come on guys, it is a pentax user's site!

If another camera has to be used to illustrate something in a thread then so be it.

But comp's and gallery images should be Pentax taken. The occasional odd shot in the gallery seems fine but by and large it's for Pentax cameras, although how do you class a film, taken with a pentax then scanned using a cannon scanner?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

robbie_d

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 13:21
So is everyone ok with me posting shots of my K-m, taken with a Kodak P&S on my classified ad?

Apparently.

Mongoose

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 13:23
robbie_d wrote:

It's not always the mods that take issue with things.

but anyone that anal isn't worth listening to unless they wield a Banhammer, and only Mods have banhammers.

just my point of view of course, I'm just trying to say I really don't think it's worth worrying about.

but it does help

techno-terminator

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 13:24
That sort of shot seems eminently sensible - and possibly the easiest way of showing what you are selling .

I personally have no objections - but I'm not a Mod.
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Mongoose

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 13:45
robbie_d wrote:
So is everyone ok with me posting shots of my K-m, taken with a Kodak P&S on my classified ad?

yes, in fact you can borrow my Panasonic if your Kodak should fail you!

but it does help

JonSchick

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 13:52
If it makes you feel any better, the photos in my most recent classified were taken with an ancient Panasonic, but I didn't tell anyone (oops)
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Hyram

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 14:00
robbie_d wrote:

Absolutely.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

terje-l

Link Posted 11/05/2010 - 14:20
Thanks for all comments, folks.

Personally, I have no problems in this matter, it's just a few recent statements under various topics that made me put the question forward.
Best regards
Terry

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.