Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

I'm Scared

Ralphpiano
Posted 26/11/2012 - 17:00 Link
Hello.... Just bought a Pentax K-30 yesterday, it's my first DSLR.
I come from the dark side, Panasonic GF2 Micro 4/3. 1 day in and I've struggled to take a good sharp photo, but hey it's early days, think I've got to grips with the menus and love the button/scroll wheel positioning. It's a bit scary, hard to get a foundation to build on, would welcome any basic tips that while boost my understanding and enjoyment
Mannesty
Posted 26/11/2012 - 17:07 Link
Welcome Jason.

First, read the manual.

Next, adjust the eyepiece diopter.

Next, set the focus point to centre spot and exposure mode to Av.

Set an aperture of around f8-f11, ISO as low as you can and no higher than 400 (for now). In daylight, take a shot or two with the main subject more or less in the centre of the viewfinder.

If you are shooting RAW, the images will need a bit of sharpening in post processing so best stick with JPG for now. Increase sharpening if necessary in-camera.

If you still can't get sharp images, I'd be surprised.

Enjoy your camera.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 26/11/2012 - 17:12
steven9761
Posted 26/11/2012 - 17:09 Link
Firstly, welcome to the site, Jason! You will get lots of advice and tips here!

Not sure if the available update for your camera is designed to address your specific problem, but I'd install it anyway. Once done, try it again, to see if there is an improvement. If not, there is most likely a section in your user manual relating to sharpening focus.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm currently working a 4-day week, I'd be saving my pennies up to buy a K30. Having said that, the only way I will part with my Kr is if it is ripped from my cold, dead hands - or the wife promises me that she'll make one of her Thai green curries every day for the next six months!!
Edited by steven9761: 26/11/2012 - 17:10
Ralphpiano
Posted 26/11/2012 - 17:18 Link
Thanks for the tips Mannesty, I'll give that a go.

Thanks Steven9761, I'm just waiting for my battery to reach full charge then I'm going to install the update as you suggested.

My wife and My K-30 don't know that I secretly covet a K-5ii. I just had to buy the K-30 as it was only £361 after cashback with a 18-55 WR lens, it was an offer that was only around this weekend and only on the black model.

If the Thai green curry is a winner could it be sold to workmates to fund a K-30?
steven9761
Posted 26/11/2012 - 17:23 Link
I'm afraid that none of my work colleagues are that adventurous when it comes to the culinary arts! Put it this way - their favourite Italian dish is a Dominos pizza, and the French cuisine goes as far as poisson en croute avec pomme frites!!

Maybe I'll get a decent bonus at the end of the tax year that will get me that K30!!
Mannesty
Posted 26/11/2012 - 17:40 Link
Ralphpiano wrote:
Thanks for the tips Mannesty, I'll give that a go.

You're welcome. I find the best way to adjust the eyepiece diopter is to remove the lens and look through the viewfinder at an evenly lit light coloured wall whilst making the adjustment on the diopter slider. All you are trying to achieve here is to get the black markings on the focusing screen in focus. Essentially you are adjusting the viewfinder optics to your eyesight to help you stand a reasonable chance of getting a manually focused shot in focus, that's all, it has no effect on the cameras auto focus capabilities.

Then refit the lens and carry on shooting.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 26/11/2012 - 17:41
Frogfish
Posted 26/11/2012 - 19:17 Link
Welcome Ralph !

Another two tips to keep you going :

1. make sure when you focus it is two distinct moves a) half press to focus and for the SR to engage b) fully depress to take the shot whilst keeping still (I see so many newbies start walking before they have even fully depressed the shutter button) !

2. make sure you are holding the camera the correct way (Google is your friend but basically left hand supporting underneath the lens, right hand gripping and elbows tucked in).
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Stuey
Posted 26/11/2012 - 19:40 Link
Hello and Welcome
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
puma
Posted 26/11/2012 - 20:04 Link
Hello Jason
PPG link
Ralphpiano
Posted 26/11/2012 - 20:26 Link
Thanks Frogfish, I will also practise holding my breath, gotta keep these shakes at bay. Thanks for the shutter tip.

Stuey thanks for the welcome, liking your B & W pic of the tree, nice crop
Stuey
Posted 26/11/2012 - 22:08 Link
Ralphpiano wrote:

Cheers
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
MidnightCreative
Posted 08/02/2013 - 11:41 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="Mannesty"]Welcome Jason.

Set an aperture of around f8-f11, ISO as low as you can and no higher than 400 (for now). In daylight, take a shot or two with the main subject more or less in the centre of the viewfinder.

Nice tip
judderman62
Posted 08/02/2013 - 17:46 Link
Ralphpiano wrote:
Thanks Frogfish, I will also practise holding my breath, gotta keep these shakes at bay. Thanks for the shutter tip.

I have read that you should be doing the opposite - press shutter on the out breath
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
AuraTodd
Posted 09/02/2013 - 09:57 Link
Quote:
I just had to buy the K-30 as it was only £361

Is that from MRS Microsystems? I am still getting used to my K30. I went to a church in Bournemouth and found the grave of Mary Shelly, who wrote Frankensteine. I love doing church interiors but find they look a bit distant on the lens, I have an 18-55mm. Can you recommend a lens which is good for landscapes and inside of churches?
Edited by AuraTodd: 09/02/2013 - 09:58
Ralphpiano
Posted 09/02/2013 - 12:08 Link
Hi AuraTodd,

I got my K-30 from the belated Jessops. Like you I'm still getting use to my K-30, if you look at my gallery you'll see I haven't really got freedom of speech or experience when it comes to churches or landscape. I'm going through an experiment stage just trying different things, mainly abstract stuff. As for lenses, I bought a Tamron 70-300 lens for us as a telephoto, it was relatively cheap £89 from Amazon and when used with a tripod it's good for landscapes, sunsets etc. I've also bought a Ricoh f2 50mm lens, Tokina 28mm lens and a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 lens which where all second hand and under £60. These I experiment with, you can have fun and sell them on. I'd really like a sigma 150-500mm lens but at £549 bit out of my price range. The next lens I buy might be the Pentax 35mm F2.4 is cheap and sharp and would probably be good for churches, it's around £130-150. Hope this helps, look on here in the classified ads and also on www.pentaxforums.com for lens reviews

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.