How to get it ?

Anvh
Posted 30/03/2009 - 17:32 Link
This my go;
[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Anvh/Untitled-1-6.jpg[/IMG]
It comes close to that of Galoot but just a bit differend.

Aiki you use Gimp if I remebered correctly, I did it in photoshop but you can do almost precisely the samething. I'll download and install Gimp again when I get home since I need to go now, sorry.
I've used the things I said plus an unsharpen maks to sharpen the photo in the end but started with a noise reduction to remove those very small drops.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Galoot
Posted 30/03/2009 - 17:44 Link
All I did was to copy the background as a layer and put it on top. Then boosted the saturation on the background, ( bottom layer ). Then took the eraser tool and rubbed out the portion of the top layer above the rainbow, which allowed the bottom layer to show through. Then merged the layers together, boosted the contrast and applied a little sharpening, cropped a bit off the bottom. I didn't like the dark patch there, added a simple border and that was it.

It is quiet a simple technique, but can be used anywhere you might want to lift, lighten, darken etc. selective parts of a picture.
Aiki
Posted 30/03/2009 - 20:01 Link
WOW !!!!
I am really happy with the answers ! And with what you did.

I got some ideas. And I will definitly play with the pic myself as well. Just to learn.
the layers, opacity, saturation is a key for me here.

Stefan gave me couple of keywords that I even do not know.


Once I will try to make a better photo with my camera (avoiding dustbin just behind the rainbow, exp.time, composition etc)
And now I can imagine, what can be done later

Thanks a lot!!!!!

Just now I do not have too much time for that. Not able to do it in couple of days.
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
Anvh
Posted 30/03/2009 - 23:40 Link
Interesting John, I hardly do use the eraser in photos or anything other really selective, except to remove sensor dust and such.
But it surely was effective what you did and a simple solution.

Aiki, my spelling wasn't 100% correct.

Just installed gimp again so that I can explain what I did more or less.
I just tried it with and without noise reduction but without it has more clarity, it's almost the same as Galoots version, not so soft as you mine.

1. duplicate the layer named background and set the layer mode to softlight.

2. duplicate the layer with the soft light and apply filter- enhance- unsharpen mask this sharpens the photo. simply aply what you think is right.

If it's right you have in the layer window, 3 layers.
- the top one a layer in softlight mode with the unsharpen mask
- middel one a layer in softlight mode
- bottom one the orignal layer named background.

3. select the layer named back ground and go to colors- levels.
you see a new window with a diagram that looks like a hill with bleow that a beam that goes from black to white with 3 arrows.
Move the arrows on the edges to the closets feet of the "hill".
Then move the middel arrow to the left till you think the brightness of the photo is alright. press OK.

4. then with the same layer still selected go to colors- hue saturation.
now simply slide the saturation slider till you have something you like.
Press OK and that's it.

This isn't what I normally do but it did the trick with your photo. Just play around and try what works and not thats the only way to really learn it. There are more ways to rome then one so nothing is wrong or right.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Aiki
Posted 31/03/2009 - 10:01 Link
You have done hard work, Stefan !
Thanks.
unsharpen mask and color levels is sth that I have used and like.
softlight mode is new thing for me I ll see, what happens
hue saturation...have tried with some other pic, but not feeling "at home" with it yet.

I have not played with the opacity of the leyers yet. It sounds promising.
Galoot gave the eraser idea - It could be used with the mask, I guess...

(I have heard that layers and opacity is a good tool for astro-photos. But then the layers must be different photos ...then the noise will go down...)


Lot of thanks !

But now I am at work.... and work must be done. My lunch time is over by now
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG
Aiki
Posted 31/03/2009 - 19:16 Link
softlight mode was surprising, doing most of the work
I used a mask on middle layer making the part of rainbow transparent and adding saturation to it (I avoid too much saturation - it seemes not natural for me). Unsharpen mask of course too.


Comment Image


got some knowledge for the case I get a better original photo
But this served as a playing-ground
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo