how many Q owners?
Posted 11/08/2012 - 22:54
Link
Mike-P wrote:
I'm trying to find a silver one.
I was hoping to find one too. In the end couldn't pass up on the Black twin lens kit for £308.
I'm trying to find a silver one.
Posted 13/08/2012 - 12:31
Link
ordered one last night - should arrive at my local tesco store tomorrow 1600
- -
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Posted 13/08/2012 - 12:32
Link
oooh yes silver one is nice
- -
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Posted 13/08/2012 - 12:53
Link
My kids like the white one... my eldest son wants to paint it up into R2D2 style - especially the popup flash!
Matt
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 13/08/2012 - 13:11
Link
LennyBloke
Posted 14/08/2012 - 12:43
Link
Picked mine up last night, not had much of a chance to test it yet (apart from a few test shots), but initial impressions are very positive.
The first thing that struck me (aside from just how small it is), is the build quality. Beautifully constructed, it feels great in the hand. The dials are all positive without feeling stiff and the whole thing just screams quality.
The next thing that stands out is the thought that has gone into it. Battery and memory card are accessed from the side of the camera, great if you're using a tripod. The customisable front dial is a masterstroke, and makes me wish all cameras had it. It puts a lot of the mirrorless crowd to shame with the level of control it offers.
In terms of image quality, I was able to take some test shots in my lounge in pretty poor light. The first thing that surprised me was the AF in low light was better than I expected, particularly with the standard prime. The aperture of the standard prime really helped keep the shutter speed respectably fast in the low light, and whilst the output was noisy at higher ISOs, it retained more detail than I expected and once I've put the shots through LR they will be just fine. Seems better image quality than the G12 I owned a while back.
Really looking forward to putting it through its paces. I'm seriously tempted by the viewfinder, I think it will be a cracking little street camera with that.
If anyone is sitting on the fence about the Q, then now is the time to jump in. Tesco Direct £308 for twin lens kit!
The first thing that struck me (aside from just how small it is), is the build quality. Beautifully constructed, it feels great in the hand. The dials are all positive without feeling stiff and the whole thing just screams quality.
The next thing that stands out is the thought that has gone into it. Battery and memory card are accessed from the side of the camera, great if you're using a tripod. The customisable front dial is a masterstroke, and makes me wish all cameras had it. It puts a lot of the mirrorless crowd to shame with the level of control it offers.
In terms of image quality, I was able to take some test shots in my lounge in pretty poor light. The first thing that surprised me was the AF in low light was better than I expected, particularly with the standard prime. The aperture of the standard prime really helped keep the shutter speed respectably fast in the low light, and whilst the output was noisy at higher ISOs, it retained more detail than I expected and once I've put the shots through LR they will be just fine. Seems better image quality than the G12 I owned a while back.
Really looking forward to putting it through its paces. I'm seriously tempted by the viewfinder, I think it will be a cracking little street camera with that.
If anyone is sitting on the fence about the Q, then now is the time to jump in. Tesco Direct £308 for twin lens kit!
Posted 14/08/2012 - 13:34
Link
Just uploaded another shot that I'm rather pleased with from the Q:
-here-
Ok, so it's been through a little workflow, but there's some lovely detail and plenty of 'pop' from the DNG file. Hugely impressed with the Q so far - even its low light performance
(Apologies for anyone's wallet that's affected :lol
Matt
-here-
Ok, so it's been through a little workflow, but there's some lovely detail and plenty of 'pop' from the DNG file. Hugely impressed with the Q so far - even its low light performance
(Apologies for anyone's wallet that's affected :lol
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 14/08/2012 - 13:51
Link
I'd seriously thinking about one of these, largely because I find the K-r a little too obtrusive (and noisy) sometimes as a travel camera. I've read loads of reviews and seen plenty of both positive and negative comments.
If I bought it to replace of the K-r it would be great in terms of size and noise, but where would it fall short. Low light shooting and lack of lenses would be my main guess, but is there anything else?
Does it have a decent wide angle option and would it be any good as a wildlife camera? At the moment my go to travel lens is the Sigma 10-20mm, but I also want something at the 300mm end for wildlife.
If I bought it to replace of the K-r it would be great in terms of size and noise, but where would it fall short. Low light shooting and lack of lenses would be my main guess, but is there anything else?
Does it have a decent wide angle option and would it be any good as a wildlife camera? At the moment my go to travel lens is the Sigma 10-20mm, but I also want something at the 300mm end for wildlife.
Posted 14/08/2012 - 13:58
Link
Chris,
Swings and roundabouts
Q: great for portability and something unobtrusive. Can be good for wildlife too - see this thread. Limited to standard zoom and fish eye at the moment.
dSLR: wider lens options, greater image quality. (e.g. I'd never approach this quality or angle with the Q, but this was a real chunk of gear!)
My opinion - you need both
Matt
Swings and roundabouts
Q: great for portability and something unobtrusive. Can be good for wildlife too - see this thread. Limited to standard zoom and fish eye at the moment.
dSLR: wider lens options, greater image quality. (e.g. I'd never approach this quality or angle with the Q, but this was a real chunk of gear!)
My opinion - you need both
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 14/08/2012 - 14:05
Link
MattMatic wrote:
Chris,
Swings and roundabouts
Q: great for portability and something unobtrusive. Can be good for wildlife too - see this thread. Limited to standard zoom and fish eye at the moment.
dSLR: wider lens options, greater image quality. (e.g. I'd never approach this quality or angle with the Q, but this was a real chunk of gear!)
My opinion - you need both
Matt
Thanks MattChris,
Swings and roundabouts
Q: great for portability and something unobtrusive. Can be good for wildlife too - see this thread. Limited to standard zoom and fish eye at the moment.
dSLR: wider lens options, greater image quality. (e.g. I'd never approach this quality or angle with the Q, but this was a real chunk of gear!)
My opinion - you need both
Matt
My wife is actually encouraging me to get it whilst it's cheap, but it's an either/or, not both. I travel a lot and want less gear anyway, not more.
I'd love the size and portability, but don't want that at the expense of image quality, but have seen some superb images - your dog, for one. I upgraded to the K-r from a bridge camera because of the poor low light capabilities of the bridge and don't want to step backwards.
That said, I love candid street photography when travelling and the K-r isn't exactly the number one choice for that.
Decisions, decisions.....
Posted 14/08/2012 - 14:07
Link
there is also the toy 100mm equivalent and also toy 35mm equivalent .
i THINK there is now a q to K adaptor available but using K sized lenses kind of takes away the reason for using such a small camera in the 1st place and there's also a Q to C adaptor that lets you use old cine lenses and CCTV lenses - varied quality I believe and I THINK fairly limited range focal length wise.
For stuff that matters (which most of my stuff does) I suspect I'd still use my DSLR's but hey lets see what time brings
i THINK there is now a q to K adaptor available but using K sized lenses kind of takes away the reason for using such a small camera in the 1st place and there's also a Q to C adaptor that lets you use old cine lenses and CCTV lenses - varied quality I believe and I THINK fairly limited range focal length wise.
For stuff that matters (which most of my stuff does) I suspect I'd still use my DSLR's but hey lets see what time brings
- -
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Posted 14/08/2012 - 23:02
Link
judderman62 wrote:
there is also the toy 100mm equivalent and also toy 35mm equivalent .
i THINK there is now a q to K adaptor available but using K sized lenses kind of takes away the reason for using such a small camera in the 1st place and there's also a Q to C adaptor that lets you use old cine lenses and CCTV lenses - varied quality I believe and I THINK fairly limited range focal length wise.
For stuff that matters (which most of my stuff does) I suspect I'd still use my DSLR's but hey lets see what time brings
Have you updated the body & lens firmware?
there is also the toy 100mm equivalent and also toy 35mm equivalent .
i THINK there is now a q to K adaptor available but using K sized lenses kind of takes away the reason for using such a small camera in the 1st place and there's also a Q to C adaptor that lets you use old cine lenses and CCTV lenses - varied quality I believe and I THINK fairly limited range focal length wise.
For stuff that matters (which most of my stuff does) I suspect I'd still use my DSLR's but hey lets see what time brings
Posted 15/08/2012 - 00:02
Link
no I haven't how do I find out which versions I am on and how do I update /
thanks
thanks
- -
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



1186 posts
15 years
Greater Mancunia
Mike
Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2