Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

how many Q owners?

DrOrloff
Posted 11/04/2012 - 09:13 Link
Thanks, I have studied them and I'm generally impressed. One image which did raise concerns for me was the study of a porcelain figurine which struck me a bit noisy, hence why I'm looking at higher ISO images. I've looked through flickr groups and I do find a lot of noisy photos, that's why I'm hesitating. One doesn't know if noise is introduced through PP so that's why I'm so interested in your images as I know you'll get the settings right in the first place.
judderman62
Posted 09/06/2012 - 19:27 Link
JAK wrote:
Thanks John. Well we might not have tried that one but have tried similar experiences, eg liveview on the K-5 for instance and other compacts so we know of the problem first hand.

If the general consensus of users say its no issue at all with the Q and framing pictures is a doddle - the screen is easily visible whatever the conditions then it might encourage me to take a peek. If I had a dealer near me who stocked one I may even do that in any event, unfortunately I haven't so can only rely on what others report. It's too expensive still to take a gamble on being able to use it or not if I purchased one untried!

John

what problem is that then ? I use liveview on my K-5 A LOT and have encountered no problems at all (shrugs)
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
judderman62
Posted 09/06/2012 - 19:30 Link
Adrian1 wrote:
johnriley wrote:
Optical viewfinders on compact cameras are not up to much though - I've always used the screen with this type of camera. At first it seemed odd, but after a while it's fine.

have to agree with this. At first I did not get on with the screen but now am happy with it.

Adrian

I agree with this too
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
JAK
Posted 09/06/2012 - 19:39 Link
judderman62 wrote:
JAK wrote:
Thanks John. Well we might not have tried that one but have tried similar experiences, eg liveview on the K-5 for instance and other compacts so we know of the problem first hand.

If the general consensus of users say its no issue at all with the Q and framing pictures is a doddle - the screen is easily visible whatever the conditions then it might encourage me to take a peek. If I had a dealer near me who stocked one I may even do that in any event, unfortunately I haven't so can only rely on what others report. It's too expensive still to take a gamble on being able to use it or not if I purchased one untried!

John

what problem is that then ? I use liveview on my K-5 A LOT and have encountered no problems at all (shrugs)

First I have to ask if you wear reading glasses? I assume not.
Secondly, how on earth do you hold the camera out at arms length to take a photo with a 300mm lens, let alone a 500? The live view might zoom in to focus, but probably not on the subject you intend to take!

Might be OK on a dull day when the viewfinder isn't reflecting back the sun and with a wide angle lens, but otherwise it would appear a fraught experience.

I've got several compacts which do not have a viewfinder but regret I cannot manage to successfully use any of them now, or not consistently enough to consider making use of them for a trip. Basically I cannot focus my eyes on the screen close enough. Does that answer the question?

John
John K
Edited by JAK: 09/06/2012 - 19:45
judderman62
Posted 09/06/2012 - 19:43 Link
JAK wrote:
judderman62 wrote:
Quote:

John

First I have to ask if you wear reading glasses? I assume not.
Secondly, how on earth do you hold the camera out at arms length to take a photo with a 300mm lens, let alone a 500? The live view might zoom in to focus, but probably not on the subject you intend to take!

Might be OK on a dull day when the viewfinder isn't reflecting back the sun and with a wide angle lens, but otherwise it would appear a fraught experience.

OK here goes

I do wear glasses but take them off when taking photos
I don't hold the camera at all - it sits on a tripod.
I don't oft use much beyond 55mm - if I do then no I don't use live view.

this thread is about the Q - the longest (proper) lens 35mm equivalent is around 83 mm - so again it's probably a non issue for the Q.

Guess it once again highlights different styles/subjects of photography so things that are a major issue for some are non issues for others

John

- -
Mike

JAK
Posted 09/06/2012 - 19:52 Link
Seems a bit silly lugging round a tripod with just a Q on it! But yes a tripod would help.

I do not normally wear glasses, only for reading and it isn't convenient to keep putting them on to take a photo, especially when the K-5 has a dioptre setting to allow for that so it isn't necessary. It works for me with the K-5, not the Q, hence my comment.

I would love to consider a Q given its current price (£250) but my head says don't be silly!

John
John K
froeschle
Posted 09/06/2012 - 21:40 Link
MattMatic
Posted 01/08/2012 - 09:44 Link
Another Q user

Grabbed a bargain white twin lens kit yesterday. Woohooo!
What a stunning piece of engineering. The user interface is extremely responsive, and is very close to the K5 menu system. As usual for Pentax there's some very nice customisation features available, and a good set of filters/effects etc.

The reviews I'd read had griped about responsiveness, slow AF and poor image quality... so I was a little apprehensive. Actually, I'm extremely pleased with the results. Response time isn't an issue at all, AF works well in most situations (very low light struggles, but it just needs a hand finding some contrast to lock onto) and was quicker than I expected it to be. Image quality with my little tests is excellent - even ISO 6400 is acceptable! Yes, it's not as fine detailed as the K5 - but incredible for such a tiny device.

Top thing is its size! It's so discrete - it's going to be fun for portraiture and candids

Only trouble is.... I think it's going to be nabbed by my wife!!

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
mungoray
Posted 02/08/2012 - 16:36 Link
I've got a matched pair of Qs Black & White ! Bought a Black with standard lens and a free Toy wide from Park Cameras about six weeks ago. Then decided I should have gone for a zoom. Silly price as a standalone but great White standard plus zoom twin lens deal at Park last week ( £279! ) looks like they are gone now. Can't understand why white was £100 cheaper than the equivalent black twin lens. Get some funny looks when I use both cameras at once to compare the zoom against the standard f stop! My K5 has been resting at home for the last few weeks!
judderman62
Posted 02/08/2012 - 18:39 Link
blimey £279 !!!! cracking price ...might have been tempted at that price
- -
Mike

MattMatic
Posted 02/08/2012 - 20:51 Link
Park gave a little bovver over that price... in the end I got the last demo one at that price
Happy, happy, happy
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
beachboy2
Posted 08/08/2012 - 12:07 Link
Bought my Q after price dropped locally. Took the Q to the snow recently. Very handy to take snaps around the mountain. Glare made shots difficult to frame but just pointed and snapped. Very happy with the quality of photos. Used a CP filter (in fact I leave it on the camera permanently). I have the 01 prime and not sure anything else is needed. Trying different lenses with a K/Q adapter. It's the small size plus quality (with the 01 prime)that is so attractive, and Pentax menus/operation. I take the camera to work each day and easy to take when walking or bike riding.
cheers
bb2

K5, K20D, Bigma, Sigma EX 105, Sigma EX 10-20, Sigma EX 28-70 F2.8, Sigma Ex 1.4TC,
Pentax 135 F3.5, Pentax 30mm F2.8 , Pentax 50mm F1.7, Pentax 55mm F1.8,
Super Taks: 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 200mm F4
Vivitar TX 200mm F3.5,Vivitar (Komine)135mm f2.8, Vivitar 2X TC, Vivitar T4 400mm F6.3
Tamron SP 35-80,80-210 F3.8, Helios 44M, Mir 1B 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 9 85mm F2, Chinon 28mm F2.8, 3M-5A 500mm F8 etc etc
BigJR
Posted 11/08/2012 - 19:35 Link
After promising myself a Q around launch time, I have finally pulled the trigger on a Black Q Twin Lens kit for £308 from Tesco Direct.
judderman62
Posted 11/08/2012 - 20:01 Link
crikey that is a good price
- -
Mike

Mike-P
Posted 11/08/2012 - 20:03 Link
I'm trying to find a silver one.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.